: Anyone have issue or picture of V2 grilles painted?

macmtr
09-28-10, 02:35 PM
My body shop is telling me that the grille is tough to paint because of the inaccessibility in the mesh with the scuffing. Any one experience this or should I not worry?

Thanks,

Macmtr

GMX322V S/C
09-28-10, 03:29 PM
D3 did mine; see my profile for pictures. They had to prep the surface with a bead blaster to rough it up and then used a polyurethane-based paint for resiliency. It still chips here and there, but it's manageable with your basic touch-up kit. I'll probably either change to the OEM black-chrome-like grilles coming out soon or RaceMesh Grilles at some point down the road.

Domsz06
09-28-10, 04:11 PM
I'm really thinking about just getting the chrome painted and then getting the black grill when it comes out in Dec. I wish It would come out sooner.

Wonder if Luke With Lindsey caddy knows anything..

Domsz06
09-28-10, 04:15 PM
holy bejesus, 1500 bucks for a front grill from race mesh??

Domsz06
09-28-10, 04:18 PM
lookin on race mesh. they have a powder coat flat black finish. How do you powder coat plastic?

Domsz06
09-28-10, 04:38 PM
so has anyone thought about using this for the chrome on the front around the grille? and the back trunk?

I think it looks just like the stuff I put on my window chorme trim... Just an idea till the chevy black grill comes out....

http://www.shop3m.com/75346289848.html

Tom_E
09-28-10, 04:40 PM
They can pretty much powder coat anything these days......:yup:

Domsz06
09-28-10, 04:57 PM
They can pretty much powder coat anything these days......:yup:

so I guess the guy that did my rims on the z06 doesn't know what he is doing. I'd love to take off the parts on the v and have em all powdercoated.

Guess I need to find someone better.....

Tom_E
09-28-10, 05:12 PM
so I guess the guy that did my rims on the z06 doesn't know what he is doing. I'd love to take off the parts on the v and have em all powdercoated.

Guess I need to find someone better.....

We are pretty lucky here in So Cal as we have several different sources for quality powder coating. I would think Houston/Dallas would also.
Did you have your Z06 rims pc'd?

Ross L
09-28-10, 06:06 PM
I don't think the race mesh grills are plastic. I powder coat for friends and make hundreds of dollars(well, before taxes and supplies) a year doing it, lol. Unless there's some "new" technique, a part must withstand 400 deg for 10-20 minutes depending on the powder.
Ross

wfo
09-28-10, 06:14 PM
D3 is the answer. They've done them and they're good.

Domsz06
09-28-10, 07:07 PM
We are pretty lucky here in So Cal as we have several different sources for quality powder coating. I would think Houston/Dallas would also.
Did you have your Z06 rims pc'd?

I'll tell u right now the car market with after market parts in Houston is jack crap compared to socal. You can get so many better things there then tx. Tx is years behind IMO.

Domsz06
09-28-10, 07:09 PM
Tom yes had my drag pack of my z rims pc'd

Ross,

Can u do my goods if I send them to you? I'm gonna get my rims textured black as well. Love all my chrome to be the same.

D3 charges 4 times the normal. Sorry I won't pay that much.

Ross L
09-28-10, 08:19 PM
As long as everything is metal. Exactly what parts are you taking about?

Titaniumseeker
09-28-10, 09:53 PM
Done by D3 (Black Chrome):

http://carphotos.cardomain.com/ride_images/3/3232/2941/33078970238_large.jpg

NiceRide
09-29-10, 12:43 AM
^ ^ nice!

Domsz06
09-29-10, 07:59 AM
Done by D3 (Black Chrome):

http://carphotos.cardomain.com/ride_images/3/3232/2941/33078970238_large.jpg

I love that look by d3, and I'm sure there work is top notch, I just couldn't believe their quote, and that didn't cound me taking everything off, shipping to them and then shipping it back.

You should make the HE black too :)

Domsz06
09-29-10, 08:00 AM
I'm stopping by a place today that has done top quality work, will see what they charge, maybe I'm the idiot and I'm not in touch with what paint costs these days....

e6t
09-29-10, 07:21 PM
I'm stopping by a place today that has done top quality work, will see what they charge, maybe I'm the idiot and I'm not in touch with what paint costs these days....

No.

I talked to a guy up here that met with one of the largest auto paint suppliers in the U.S. (cant remember the brand) about the proper technique to paint the plastic chrome parts on the car. After extensive instruction, these guys are confident they can do it.

Domsz06
09-30-10, 08:17 AM
I stopped by and talked to him today and it was cool. He gave me some other Ideas i had not thought of that will make the car "pop"

I plan on pulling the tail lights off and chrome and taking them to him to paint. He is charging me less then the other person I talked to was going to charge just for the tail lights. So I'm pretty happy.

We are also going to paint the "gray" around the fog lights and rear gray part a black to make it all blend together. Should be really cool I think. Pictures will come.

Now to find a coater for the rims....