: shaking on reverse?

outsider
09-28-10, 02:42 PM
When I put my 1995 fleetwood in reverse, there is a slight shaking/shuttering when the car first starts to move. It really doesn't feel like the transmission is causing this problem, to me it feels like it might be a brake binding or something? It's been doing this pretty much since I got the car but it's not bad so I've just been living with it.

Any ideas what could be causing this? A friend of mine said it could be the U-Joints or something but I thought the U-Joints would cause a constant shaking and this is only when the car first starts going in reverse. After a foot or so it stops.

gtsviper2000
09-28-10, 03:15 PM
Any ideas what could be causing this? A friend of mine said it could be the U-Joints or something but I thought the U-Joints would cause a constant shaking and this is only when the car first starts going in reverse. After a foot or so it stops.

This is just an idea, so if im wrong dont flame me, but it could be your torque converter kicking in, Ive experienced this on my car also. Does it seem like it takes a second to kick into reverse anyway?

outsider
09-28-10, 03:21 PM
I will look into the torque converter, but it seems like it shifts into reverse normally. There's no real delay to speak of (no more than normal) when shifting into reverse. Ofcourse, this usually only happens when going from park to reverse and not so much when I'm driving and then reverse (like backing into a parking spot). Thanks for the suggestion, hadn't thought of the torque converter...Transmissions are totally foreign to me so I might have my mechanic look at that if I can't find a good "how-to" online.

HUF
09-28-10, 04:42 PM
Because of pretty noticeable shifts (compared to my 1991 Cadillac Seville), I called my Fleetwood a "kicker" since the day I got the car.

Just drive it!

jayoldschool
09-28-10, 05:43 PM
U joints or trans mount?

outsider
09-28-10, 06:25 PM
I read somewhere it might be trans mount. I will also check the U joints. Thanks Jay

thefleetwoodguy
09-29-10, 12:49 PM
you know the abs motor "cycles" for 3 seconds when you hit 4mph in forward or reverse, you can feel the pump running
just a thought..............

outsider
09-30-10, 02:59 PM
So the solution to this ends up to be pretty pricey...

Took the car to my mechanic today for inspection and to get my exhaust leak fixed...turns out the back brakes are completely shot...so shot that the wheel cylinders are leaking and the brake drums are actually cracked!

Crazy! I told him to go ahead and replace it, along with the back brake lines which he said were not leaking but looked like they would likely burst soon due to the extra stress on them from the damaged brakes...Normally if someone gave me a price tag around what he quoted me I'd say no thanks and get a second opinion but I trust them at this garage, they've never done me wrong. He quoted me at right around $1,000 for the exhaust work and brake work and inspection sticker...more than I would have liked to spend but the car needs it. got a lot of road tripping to do in the old girl!

csbuckn
09-30-10, 03:08 PM
That's what I was thinking. I have the same issue with my car and I always thought it was related to a missing spring from the rear brakes.

outsider
09-30-10, 03:13 PM
yup, the springs, drums, shoes, and wheel cylinders will need to be replaced...

ah well, I've taken the car on so many road trips since I've got it and never had any problems so once I get that fixed it'll be good for some more :)

thefleetwoodguy
10-01-10, 04:28 PM
that sucks!!
hell I would/could give you a good set of drums
wish we knew when you were down here

it seems like no matter what they do
to one of these fleetwoods, at any shop
the prices start at $1000
if you need anything off the parts car out here I will help you
out, since you bought that car from me
too bad you were not closer I could do the work.........

outsider
10-01-10, 04:40 PM
ya, no worries Jim. It is a lot steeper than I would have liked to pay. I would do the work myself also but I have a good relationship with the garage I took it to so I'd rather help out a local business. I had considered asking you about the drums but the guy already had the car apart when he called and everything so I just told him to go for it. They're good guys and I'm sure they aren't trying to rip me off.

The car is worth sinking the $1,000 or so into, anyways. It's been a great car and even with the brake problems it's taken me on many road trips :) still very happy with the purchase!

HUF
10-01-10, 11:35 PM
...the back brake lines which he said were not leaking but looked like they would likely burst soon due to the extra stress on them from the damaged brakes...
If the wheel cylinders ($10 each) were leaking for a long time, check the level oof DOT# in the master cylinder reservoir.

How would damaged brakes put extra stress on the brake lines??