: Vintage Car and Track road tests . . . . .

Aron9000
09-28-10, 12:08 AM
Some of the old timers here might remember this tv show, I just found it browsing youtube. Love the music and narration style, so cliche 1960's.

1969 Dodge Charger 500 with the Hemi, "we got 7mpg and it was noisy. the parking lot attendents at our downtown office moved it every 5 minutes just so they could start up":rofl:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4nWrvpl3Nsg&feature=related

1971 Mercury Marquis "while driving through the pylons, we asked ourselves such questions: Is it possible for a modern automobile to lean over far enough to fall off its springs? What would happen if it did?"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3lCljbIC7Fw

1971 Riveria "if you are looking for something as smooth as liquid velvet, this is it":rolleyes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMo_VNJbWNc&feature=related

I~LUV~Caddys8792
09-28-10, 12:24 AM
0-60 in 6.9 for the Charger??? That seems awfully high, my Regal does it in 6.7 seconds. I thought Hemi cars were in the low-mid range 5 second range. The 500 was definitely cool, a great milestone between the Charger R/T and Charger Daytona, but the regular R/T looks miles better IMO. With the flush front end and rear window, it loses it's distinctiveness and looks a lot like one of those intermediate Fords.

Aron9000
09-28-10, 12:30 AM
0-60 in 6.9 for the Charger??? That seems awfully high, my Regal does it in 6.7 seconds. I thought Hemi cars were in the low-mid range 5 second range. The 500 was definitely cool, a great milestone between the Charger R/T and Charger Daytona, but the regular R/T looks miles better IMO. With the flush front end and rear window, it loses it's distinctiveness and looks a lot like one of those intermediate Fords.

Keep in mind that they were blowing the tires off of that car trying to launch it. With a pair of slicks I'm sure it would do it in under 5 seconds.

orconn
09-28-10, 12:37 AM
Yup, them were the days!

Destroyer
09-28-10, 01:13 AM
0-60 in 6.9 for the Charger??? That seems awfully high, my Regal does it in 6.7 seconds. I thought Hemi cars were in the low-mid range 5 second range. The 500 was definitely cool, a great milestone between the Charger R/T and Charger Daytona, but the regular R/T looks miles better IMO. With the flush front end and rear window, it loses it's distinctiveness and looks a lot like one of those intermediate Fords.Chad, look at tires that were on the car! Look at the wheelspin! The tires really limited the acceleration times. :alchi:

Night Wolf
09-28-10, 01:49 AM
I'm trying to figure out what the point of slamming the shifter into 1 when taking off is? does the automatic not already start in 1st and shift at redline?

Those old muscle cars really aren't as quick as many make them out to be - atleast stock. It seems like as the years go on, they get faster in peoples memory and then with the aid of various movies depicting them very fast. Times are quite different in suspension and brake technology - hard to imagine that was considered very good handling.

Quite obvious how vastly different cars like the BMW 2002 were from American cars... and also why they didn't sell well in the US for a while.

Still though, it was neat to see the period reviews of the cars.

Aron9000
09-28-10, 02:25 AM
Also kind of sad to see how goverment regulation and Detroit's own ineptitude gave us worse performing, lower quality cars as the 70's rolled on.

1971 Cutlass 442 with every option checked

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzBOsbcvOxk&feature=related

1973 Cutlass 442 with every option checked

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XrQywvLAwVs

gdwriter
09-28-10, 03:16 AM
I've been subscribing to these for a while, and I always enjoy them. It's fun seeing some of these big barges going through the pylons.

mhamilton
09-28-10, 10:35 AM
LOL these just made my morning! :) Thanks for posting those.

Love the Merc review.... if I may quote Jeremy Clarkson, "it handles very well for a church" ;) The pylon test reminds me so much of the Dirty Harry movies. The other day Magnum Force was on AMC... they had a car chase with a 1973 Fleetwood 75. Now that's the kind of performance I like to see in my executive limousine :bouncy:

hueterm
09-28-10, 01:50 PM
The best thing about Magnum Force is that pimp sled '72 Eldo...

mhamilton
09-28-10, 03:10 PM
The best thing about Magnum Force is that pimp sled '72 Eldo...

Now how did I ever miss that one?! I almost bought a '72 Eldo convertible in lime green metallic last year lol. It's on AMC again tonight at 10:15 pm est :)

orconn
09-28-10, 03:59 PM
I'm trying to figure out what the point of slamming the shifter into 1 when taking off is? does the automatic not already start in 1st and shift at redline?

Those old muscle cars really aren't as quick as many make them out to be - atleast stock. It seems like as the years go on, they get faster in peoples memory and then with the aid of various movies depicting them very fast. Times are quite different in suspension and brake technology - hard to imagine that was considered very good handling.

Quite obvious how vastly different cars like the BMW 2002 were from American cars... and also why they didn't sell well in the US for a while.

Still though, it was neat to see the period reviews of the cars.

While they were really only a higher grade economy car the BMW 1600 and 2002 sold quite well during the late '60s and early '70s attracting a young, well educated clientelle that valued handling above shear torque and high weight, big cube horsepower. Those early BMW small coupes were favored by the not quite yet "yuppies" of there period and really didn't have any competition in their market segment taking the place held by the Volvo 444 and 144s in the early sixties, which also had a good nich following and were also raced successfully in SCCA classes.

Jesda
09-28-10, 05:31 PM
Some of these videos are like me doing gymnastics.

orconn
09-28-10, 08:05 PM
What's really scary is remembering that we drove those ill handling sleds at 70 to 80 mph on L.A.'s Freeways every day till the Fuel Crisis and the imposition of the double nickel speed limit. No wonder traffic faralities have been falling for the last forty years!

I~LUV~Caddys8792
09-28-10, 10:05 PM
Some of these videos are like me doing gymnastics.

LMAO!! Post of the day!

EChas3
09-28-10, 11:32 PM
My dad had one of those Merc Marquis 429's. What a great date car!

For the neighborhood!

Destroyer
09-28-10, 11:55 PM
Those old muscle cars really aren't as quick as many make them out to be - atleast stock. It seems like as the years go on, they get faster in peoples memory and then with the aid of various movies depicting them very fast. Yes Rick, in some people's memories the 1960's cars were the fastest of the fast (I know they weren't). My memories of late 60's and early 70's cars were that of 8-12 second 1/4 mile cars. What you have to understand is that it didn't take much to get a 14-15 second stocker down to a 10-12 second racer. Add a cam, raise compression, put some gears in and maybe a little juice and voila! Biggest problem was the lack of good tires and traction. Look at the fastest drag cars out there today! Are they based on E30 motors or small and big block GM, Ford or Chrysler motors of the past? The muscle car will never die. :thumbsup:

Destroyer
09-28-10, 11:57 PM
Also kind of sad to see how goverment regulation and Detroit's own ineptitude gave us worse performing, lower quality cars as the 70's rolled on.

1971 Cutlass 442 with every option checked

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzBOsbcvOxk&feature=related

1973 Cutlass 442 with every option checked

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XrQywvLAwVs

Great videos, thanks! :yup: