: Terrible wheel hop on 2011 manual V-Sedan

sybersport
09-27-10, 11:22 PM
I posted a thread about a "popping" noise when I shifted my V sedan into 2nd gear, but wanted to start a new thread since I think I know what's contributing to the problem.

The car has terrible wheel hop. It was raining today, so good opportunity to spin the tires out of first without making any noise and waking up the neighbors... have been doing a number of launches - low RPM, higher RPM... the rear end bounces like a bucking horse.

Anyone else experience this?

The wheel hop is likely one of the reasons why, when I shift hard into second gear, I hear the loud "popping" noise - clearly the rear end is bouncing and something is smacking around under there.

I'm planning to take the car in to get checked, but wanted to see if I'm the only one.

RapidRob
09-27-10, 11:47 PM
Well, I replied to your last thread, so I guess I'll do it again. I've had my v2 since 3/09, and it has a manual tranny. I've spun the tires many, many times and have never experienced wheel-hop, or a popping noise of any kind. As I said in the other thread - something is wrong, (sounds like something may have come loose), that is causing the wheel-hop and noise. I'd get it to the dealer ASAP, and get it fixed!

Good luck!

Rob

sybersport
09-28-10, 12:33 AM
Thanks for the response(s!) Rob.

I'm actually wondering if others who have a 2011 model year are experiencing similar problems...

baabootoo
09-28-10, 12:55 AM
Was the TC ALL the way off? Could you be getting confused with the TC cutting in?

sybersport
09-28-10, 12:57 AM
TC was all the way off. I actually experimented with competition mode (so 2 clicks of the TC button) and stabillitrack off (one long button push) - both modes result in the hop.

With TC on, it chirps and then kills power.

irablumberg
09-28-10, 12:58 AM
I have a 2010 sedan with manual. I've never noticed any wheel hop, although I don't usually do burn outs. Nonetheless, early reviews of the V2 from 2009 all noted the vast improvements over the V1, including elimination of wheel hop on hard launch. I don't think anything of substance has changed for 2011. Thus, if you are experiencing severe wheel hop, definitely see your service department.

Ira

sybersport
10-04-10, 05:18 PM
Took the car into the shop, and they said they didn't find any problems at all with the rear end. THey did say a few others with 2011 V's had similar wheel hop and the "clunk" on shifting. My invoice notes that the dealer had seen this issue with others cars, and it says "May be normal operation" Ya right! Wanted to add this - the service manager did say that he would work with me to figure out what the problem was, one way or the other... I just hope that it's something that can be fixed.

So... any others with 2011 model years experience this problem? Perhaps there was some sort of change in the rear suspension set-up on the new V's that is causing the issue?

I'm not very happy right now

e6t
10-04-10, 05:26 PM
Took the car into the shop, and they said they didn't find any problems at all with the rear end. THey did say a few others with 2011 V's had similar wheel hop and the "clunk" on shifting. My invoice notes that the dealer had seen this issue with others cars, and it says "May be normal operation" Ya right!

So... any others with 2011 model years experience this problem? Perhaps there was some sort of change in the rear suspension set-up on the new V's that is causing the issue?

I'm not very happy right now

I've only shifted my car into second at wot with no-lift twice. both times there was a pop noise from the rear of the car that sounded like the axle was slamming itself against the frame of the car.

thats a lot of torque being laid down right there... i suppose a certain amount of pop could be expected!

newcadman
10-05-10, 07:19 PM
Perhaps there is a forum member in your "neck of the woods" who has a manual and who you could go for a blast with to see how their V behaves in comparison to yours.
I know the manuals are not as plentiful as the autos, but I 'm sure there has to be somebody,FWIW.