: I love this thing!

Moceanu
09-27-10, 11:19 PM
Picked up the coupe this afternoon and it is amazing! Just one question really, how do you take off those damn "security" screws that are used on the front license plate mount??!?!?!?! :want:

Gnarly
09-28-10, 12:21 AM
I have the same question, followed by, what does it look like when you do? :) Are there plugs you can cover the holes up w/ or will I need to do some filler and paint. Haven't searched for this yet.

GMX322V S/C
09-28-10, 12:33 AM
Ho boy, if they're anything like the ones on my last company car, they're kind of like the splay-type of drywall anchors. I had to use a chisel to shear them off. Left two holes in the bumper fascia, which is why I did not let my dealer mount my front plate holder on my V.

hulksdaddy
09-28-10, 12:49 AM
Left two holes in the bumper fascia, which is why I did not let my dealer mount my front plate holder on my V.

:thumbsup:

My dealer has strict instructions to not mount a plate, or prep the car. I'll do that myself.

baabootoo
09-28-10, 12:53 AM
No, you can just unscrew them. I can't remember if they were a Torx bit or not. You can use a small, flat-blade screwdriver too. The bottom is hooked onto the lower grill. There will be two tiny holes in the bumper though.

aj660
09-28-10, 01:17 AM
Picked up the coupe this afternoon and it is amazing! Just one question really, how do you take off those damn "security" screws that are used on the front license plate mount??!?!?!?! :want:

Your dealer should have checked with you before they installed the front license plate mount even if you live in a state that requires it. My dealer asked me if I wanted it installed before they did it.

musclesbmf
09-28-10, 10:33 AM
Horrible... Dealers sre idiots. I wold not have bought that particular one if the bracket was already installed.

Mark

Moceanu
09-28-10, 10:59 AM
Horrible... Dealers sre idiots. I wold not have bought that particular one if the bracket was already installed.

Mark

Unfortunately it was the one I had ordered (only one in the area!) and they mounted it before I got there. If I was thinking I should of called them and told them not to put it on.
Bright side, I have gotten TONS and TONS of double takes when I drive it around town. :thumbsup:

radix
09-28-10, 02:58 PM
I ran into this plate hole situation recently on another car - my solution was some nice push-in panel fasteners from O'Reilly's - in my case they were already a gloss black that matched the bumper, but they could be painted as well. They are in the display with all of the other specialty clips and screws for trim that they sell. They popped into the plate mount holes and really did a nice job of eliminating the ragged self tapping screw holes. The head is a low flat dome, about 3/8" dia, not very noticeable.

Domsz06
09-28-10, 05:59 PM
guess I got lucky, who ever had mine before didn't run it or something...

NO front plate here, I'll take my chances with the 5.0....

"knocking on wood"

Moceanu
09-28-10, 08:18 PM
Stopped by the dealership to see if they could remove the plate mount. They could but advised that I didn't since the screw used would flare out wider then the original hole (like a dry wall screw) and the hole could possibly be an inch in diameter plus any damage around the hole. :mad: Guess they REALLY don't want them to come off.
Talked to a body shop they could remove it and cover the holes with bondo then repaint but they would have to repaint damn near the whole front bumper to get a good match.
Next option is to see how much my deductible is and then run into something to get a new bumper!! :bonkers:

musclesbmf
09-29-10, 01:52 PM
Get the car up in the air and remove the underbody sheilding and look up in the bumper area with a light and see how the fasteners are flared out. Perhaps you can take some pliers and squeeze the flared part so that it doesn't enlarge the whole and bigger. i would rather have two 1/8" holes in the bumper than the front plate. But I'll say it again... dealers are idiots (especially on an ordered car). They should have checked with you before mounting that.

But on the other side, yes, the car is very sweet and will get lots of looks.

Mark

radix
09-29-10, 04:19 PM
I'll say it again... dealers are idiots (especially on an ordered car). They should have checked with you before mounting that.

+100 if only they were in half as big a hurry do do a thorough pre-delivery inspection as they are to put their crap adverts on cars...

Moceanu
10-29-10, 09:42 PM
to further kick a dead horse (and myself everytime i get in my car) :mad: :banghead: the front plate ruins the car.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=69701

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=69699

cbloveday
10-29-10, 11:02 PM
Look at the bright side............ At least you will not get rock chips in that area.
If it bothers you that much, I would simply pay to have it corrected.
Push the dealer to split it with you if they will not pay the full price. Press the issue and see what they will do.

Moceanu
10-29-10, 11:30 PM
oh its going to get fixed! just venting slash posting pics of my baby =)

JOEYCTS-V
10-30-10, 12:23 AM
:yup: I told my dealer I'm not taking the car if there's a plate bracket mounted.

:thumbsup:

My dealer has strict instructions to not mount a plate, or prep the car. I'll do that myself.

wfo
10-30-10, 12:23 PM
Man that sucks...Dealers should know better on these type cars. They should at least ask for cry'n out loud.

I guess it depends how in-touch your dealer is with high peformance cars. If they don't sell many V's and XLR's they just might do something stupid.

beefman
10-30-10, 02:08 PM
I HATE front plate brackets. Been pulled over countless times, haven't had a front plate on any car I've owned in the past 6 years (last car had the bracket installed and I left the dealer ad-tag in in protest). Only once did an officer mention it in passing, and I was getting written up for a *lot* more than that, but that wasn't included on the ticket.