: Deer whistle?

firstimecaddi
09-27-10, 08:43 PM
doea anyone here use them and can attest to their (in)effectiveness. There is an older gentleman in my neighborhood that swears by them, I think they are bs.

iowasevillests
09-27-10, 09:44 PM
Grew up in big buck country, now live in medium size buck country and will never put them on a vehicle of mine. Some people swear by them, others say they're dear magnets. I know people who have hit multiple dear in multiple vehicles with whistles on, others who always put them on and never hit a dear.....to each their own but my 2 cents is they're a pile of silver plated poo with an adhesive patch.

Ranger
I put them on my '92 after my first deer encounter. I do believe they work. They get the deers attention. They DO NOT scare them away. It may get their attention in the middle of the road as they try to read your license plate.

I was coming home from work one night about 11:45 down a dark county road when I noticed a bunch of eyes looking at me from the field off my left side. They (deer) had crossed the road far enough in front of me and out of headlight range for me not to see them and where far enough into the field that I'd have never seen them had they not been looking at me and picking up the periphery of my lights. I have to believe it was the whistles that got their attention and made them look over my way. Normally the dumb bastards look straight ahead as if they are in a trance, even blowing horns and screeching tires don't seem to get their attention. That is what convinced me that they work.

Ranger
Deleted for Double Post

Night Wolf
09-28-10, 12:13 AM
Around here in redneck country they are used quite often.

Billy Bob in his lifted crew cab likes them - he said when he installs them backwards, it attracts all the deer as he drives so Becky Sue can ride shotgun with a .22 and both pretend they are back in 'Nam.... then the whole trailer park as food for the week.

RippyPartsDept
09-28-10, 12:16 AM
:histeric:

great now i can't go to bed cuz the laughing got me all amped up

Aron9000
09-28-10, 01:53 AM
I thought Billy Bob just put one of these bumpers on his lifted dually and just ran over the deer.

http://www.ludensimplement.com/var/plain/storage/images/catalog/vehicles_accessories/ranch_hand_chevy_2007_summit_front_bumper_replacem ent/24276-12-eng-US/ranch_hand_chevy_2007_summit_front_bumper_replacem ent_large.gif

Playdrv4me
09-28-10, 02:29 AM
I thought Billy Bob just put one of these bumpers on his lifted dually and just ran over the deer.

http://www.ludensimplement.com/var/plain/storage/images/catalog/vehicles_accessories/ranch_hand_chevy_2007_summit_front_bumper_replacem ent/24276-12-eng-US/ranch_hand_chevy_2007_summit_front_bumper_replacem ent_large.gif

/thread.

Jesda
09-28-10, 05:55 AM
Does anyone else yell at them and give them the finger?

drewsdeville
09-28-10, 09:15 AM
I'd like to see someone take down a deer with a .22 . Can it be done?

I notice deer act different by area. I see a lot of what Ranger talks about in more populated areas where the deer are more "domesticated" (and seem more stupid)...where blowing horns and screeching tires are the norm.

Up in Gods country, they don't tolerate that.

I put on A LOT of miles in northern WI where there is no shortage of deer. I've yet to hit a deer. After a while, you get a sharp eye for them and you can learn the body language. You can tell when they are going to try to cross the road or jump the ditch. One of the easiest telltales is if they start to try to "race" you, running in the same direction on the shoulder of the road or in the ditch, THEY WILL try to cross the road, every time. So be prepared.

iowasevillests
09-28-10, 01:39 PM
Its not hard to take down a deer with a .22, you just need to be a good shot and under about 50 yards, now if I cheat and make it a .220 Swift its even easier :) I've got primarily smarter country deer around me but they still don't have a problem bounding out of the corn field 15 foot off the road, landing in the middle of the road and starring at you while you honk and cuse and smash the brakes, then either stand there or eventually jump away. I just drive slower to work and more attentive now that harvest has started and they're being chased out of the field by combines.

Personally I think the best defense to deer is a truck with a "billy bob" style deer slayer bumper guard and a truck that won't break your feelings if you do hit one, they rarely seem to hit vehicles that a dent might make look better

Submariner409
09-28-10, 06:10 PM
Deer whistle = deer magnet for car doors.

On this side of the Bay the preferred deer gun is a 12 gauge rifled barrel with 4X scope. Punkin' balls. You get caught shooting a deer around here with a cartridge/bullet of less than XX ft/lb of impact, you go to jail - faster than robbery, murder or wife-beating.

Or a 45-60# compound pushing a 30" shaft triple razor expanding point.

As I type there are 9 white tail deer standing across the road at the edge of the woods - 2 late fawn, 5 doe, a button buck and 8-point buck. Another month and it's sausage and steak time again..........

Jesda
09-28-10, 06:47 PM
I put on A LOT of miles in northern WI where there is no shortage of deer. I've yet to hit a deer. After a while, you get a sharp eye for them and you can learn the body language. You can tell when they are going to try to cross the road or jump the ditch. One of the easiest telltales is if they start to try to "race" you, running in the same direction on the shoulder of the road or in the ditch, THEY WILL try to cross the road, every time. So be prepared.

My first 8 years of driving were in the Pacific Northwest, and man, I DESPISED them. It was impossible to go for a peaceful drive at night without seeing their green reflective eyes hiding in the trees by the road.

I seriously have no idea how I haven't managed to hit one yet. Had several swerves and close encounters though. That's probably why I'm so aware of them now.

It feels really good to drive past them and yell "F*** YOU, YOU DOE-EYED TICK-INFESTED MOTHERF***ERS", even if they don't understand a word.

ben.gators
09-28-10, 06:59 PM
Statistics of deer hit in united states is unbelievably high... about one million each year and even more! But fortunately in Arizona, at least around valley and cities, we do not have a lot of deer. I myself never ever have hit a deer or even encountered a deer in the middle of a road. But once I was almost going to hit a Coyote in a rural road! I was driving by 45MPH in a rural road, suddenly saw a coyote walking in my lane, coyote had turned his head and was watching me, eyes to eyes! It could be the last thing that the poor bastard was watching... But fortunately (for both of us!) there was no car coming from front! I immediately changed the lane and went to the other lane and passed around the coyote!

Rolex
09-28-10, 08:39 PM
Ask a body shop owner about them here in AR, and they'll tell you they're complete snake oil BS.

I've personally hit 6 deer over a period of 5 years with 2 of these "whistles" on the front of my truck.

Ranger
09-28-10, 09:35 PM
Those whistles are certainly not a fool proof guarantee. As I said, all they do is get their attention. Then it's up to them to be able to process that information and they are not the brightest of animals in that respect. Hell, they'll run into the side of your car. How smart is that? I still say there should be a bounty on them. :mad:

ben.gators
09-28-10, 10:42 PM
Ask a body shop owner about them here in AR, and they'll tell you they're complete snake oil BS.

I've personally hit 6 deer over a period of 5 years with 2 of these "whistles" on the front of my truck.

How much damage on your car?

JimHare
09-29-10, 08:15 PM
Here in South Jersey, only the cows are dumber than the deer. The country roads around here are full of them from late afternoon until early in the AM. I'll bet that within a 10 mile circle from where I sit there are twenty carcasses strewn about the shoulders of the roads. They will literally jump right out in front of you from the woods, committing a kind of white-tailed seppuku. I've been lucky so far, but I know people who bag one or two EVERY YEAR...They don't even bother fixing the body work anymore.

csosteve
09-29-10, 09:16 PM
i've hit deers with and without whistles, i've hit 8 deers with my sls in a the last 6 years and rutting seasons begins soon #'s to go up, my car is so battered up and mixed matched in colors that i won't post pictures of it. when i was driving my z71 with loud exhuast never had deer trouble.

Ranger
09-29-10, 09:20 PM
i've hit 8 deers with my sls in a the last 6 years
Ouch! I've only got two and I sure hope I've bagged my limit.

Submariner409
10-01-10, 04:25 PM
Ouch! I've only got two and I sure hope I've bagged my limit.

This is getting to the time of year when you don't do crazy road runs at dawn or dusk - much less any other time of day or night: buck are thinking with their ---> .

orconn
10-01-10, 05:02 PM
T'is the season for deer folly! I was out today and saw numerous deer lurking in the woods just waiting for some hapless sole to get in range! Slow down and save yourself the bother of another insurance claim and body shop time.

The-Dullahan
10-02-10, 11:59 PM
I'd like to see someone take down a deer with a .22 . Can it be done?

In Florida, yes. The largest deer I have ever seen here was no larger than a small dog, albeit taller. It was a a six-point buck, no less.

Stupid Florida and their dumb pygmy mammals. I don't think Florida has any [native] large mammals whatsoever, but at least we get good reptile life. I have seen a large black bull get hit one time though. Pretty hilarious. The vehicle took no real damage, as it was a cement mixer and there was a half-mile of gore covering the road. Skull was beyond salvation and of no use to me.

In Pennsylvania, someone could strap a saddle to a deer and ride it.

Rolex
10-03-10, 10:09 PM
How much damage on your car?

Which time? The last one I hit in my Escalade ran ~$2700.

The most damage I've ever seen to a truck was ~ $10k.

The-Dullahan
10-03-10, 10:40 PM
^Stupid Deer.

Seriously, who has $10,000 sitting around because some animal said to itself "Nah, I can make it"

I think I can understand why some people kill them for sport.

orconn
10-03-10, 11:51 PM
Fortunately I have never hit a deer, but I did hit a camel (actually a dromedary, it only had one hump) while rounding a blind (to me and to the camel) the impact on the aluminum body of the enclosed Land-Rover I was driving would have been total if the car hadn't been in East Africa where labor was really cheap and patient! The gremlins at the local body shop got it tapped out so it was again serviceable or at least saleable to somebody needing a L-R real bad! Both the camel and I had the food luck to walk away from our collision in relatively good shape. While I was only in Eritrea for eight months between the camel shunt and an ambush by a pack of angry and accurate baboons I managed to wreck two Land-Rovers during that time! Don't know what they cost because they belong to the U.S. Mapping Service whom I had borrowed them from and return them to after they were towed back into town.

Ranger
10-04-10, 11:01 AM
^Stupid Deer.

Seriously, who has $10,000 sitting around because some animal said to itself "Nah, I can make it"

I kill them for revenge. tl;dr:brutal:

drewsdeville
10-04-10, 11:12 AM
^Stupid Deer.

Who has $10k sitting around because some stupid human said to itself "Nah, I can make it"

There are some humans out there that we should kill for sport, but we can't.

Humans have a great ability to reason, which some don't use or use poorly. Because of that, I'd be more upset about the stupid human than an animal that doesn't know any better.

Don't take this the wrong way, but I consider sharing the road with you guys piloting a 75mph 4000lb missle more of a threat than a few dumb animals that occasionally cross the road. I'd be plenty pissed if you guys did something stupid and caused an accident.

If a deer causes an accident? Meh, $hit happens. If you cause an accident, I'd probably feel like stabbing you, for a few moments following the accident anyway.

EcSTSatic
10-04-10, 02:16 PM
Whistles don't work. I had 2 on my Aerostar and deer never came to me.

ben.gators
10-04-10, 04:24 PM
Which time? The last one I hit in my Escalade ran ~$2700.

The most damage I've ever seen to a truck was ~ $10k.

Oh, shit... 10K$ because of a deer.... If I were in your shoes, I would seriously consider putting one of those machine guns in front of car and shooting any deer than comes near to the Escalade! :D

Jesda
10-05-10, 12:49 AM
If I hit a deer I plan on dragging it home, hacking it to pieces like a scene from "Dexter", and urinating on it. Then, I'll tidy up the mess, put it into garbage sacks, and throw it into a pond near the place I found it.

"God's creatures"? God has a real sense of humor:
http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2007/01/images/070125-glowing-spiders_big.jpg

ben.gators
10-05-10, 03:25 AM
So far a lot of stories about hitting deers, but couple of related questions occurred to me.

First of all what kind of insurance do you guys carry so that insurance company covers deer hit damages?

After hitting a deer is there any specific thing that you need o do to make sure that you will get the insurance money? For example taking pics from scene, etc?

Do these repeated claims increase your insurance rate a lot?

What does law say when you hit a deer, if deer is injured or dead? Is there any federal or state law that requires drivers to report an injured or dead deer to some places? Or you just leave the deer in the middle of the road or shoulder and drive away?

firstimecaddi
10-05-10, 09:29 AM
^^^when I hit I don't think the deer died because I had to go back to the scene to find my front tag and I did not see it (unless someone scooped the fresh roadkill). Insurance was not hard to deal with though, and they never asked if I reported accident to police( which I did not), but in the end it affected my rate.

Ranger
10-05-10, 11:08 AM
First of all what kind of insurance do you guys carry so that insurance company covers deer hit damages?
If you have full coverage, you're covered. I think it falls under comprehensive.

After hitting a deer is there any specific thing that you need o do to make sure that you will get the insurance money?
File a police report. Believe it or not, it falls under damage to state property though there is no liability to you, but it's the only proof you have should the insurance Co. question it. I had not problem either time.

Do these repeated claims increase your insurance rate a lot?
I don't recall mine increasing, but I suppose that depends on the company you're with.

What does law say when you hit a deer, if deer is injured or dead? Is there any federal or state law that requires drivers to report an injured or dead deer to some places? Or you just leave the deer in the middle of the road or shoulder and drive away?
Again, file a police report. They will report it to the DNR and arrange for the county to remove the carcass if it has not run away and died. Then nature will take it's coarse.

csosteve
10-06-10, 08:43 PM
i was told by my ins agent if i hit a deer and caused damage no deductiable, if i tried to adviod the deer and hit on coming car or run into guard rail, i've would have to pay a deductiable, i start work at 3pm and work to 1am or to whatever, drive home 25miles of wv secondary highway, i try to drive slower---long night dealing with usally drunken idots, driving tired does slow the reflexes.

Rolex
10-06-10, 09:59 PM
When I was in nursing school I used to commute to my primary clinical site ~ 90 miles a day roundtrip. During the winter months that put me on the road a lot before daylight and after dark. Always prime time for deer movement in Southern Arkansas. After hitting my fifth deer in 2 years I was considering one of these:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v305/rolex/1-2.jpg

orconn
10-06-10, 11:18 PM
Rolex, by all means you should get one of those! Not only would it help with the deer situation in Arkansas, but if you we coming to D.C. you could use it to counter our Greater D.C. deer problem ..... but several problems we have in the area! Like Northern Virginia drivers! Does that thing come with a "tail gater" deflector device?

johnny kannapo
10-07-10, 12:27 AM
They are here daily, they knock down a section of that PVC picket fence every winter. They often sleep in the yard under a group of trees. I had one run into the side of the car once but never nailed one, knock on wood.

http://i826.photobucket.com/albums/zz183/billytheshoe/100_1725.jpg

http://i826.photobucket.com/albums/zz183/billytheshoe/100_1730.jpg

Ranger
10-07-10, 12:17 PM
VERMIN! VERMIN I tell ya!

Rolex
10-07-10, 05:22 PM
VENISON! VENISON I tell ya! ;)

Submariner409
10-07-10, 05:29 PM
VERMIN VENISON, I tell ya' !

Bow season is in - Maryland region B - 1 antler, 2 antlerless deer. Have a fresh 80# doe in the freezer - all cut & wrapped. End of this month I limber up the ol' Model 12.

Ranger
10-14-10, 08:56 PM
Just got back from northern Wisc. Used to be lousy with deer. Ain't many around lately. Locals say they are scarce and blame the introduction of wolves. The natives are restless and they ain't happy.