: Help! Michelin Sidewalls Turning Brown from Dealer ArmorAll treatment

algiorda
09-27-10, 06:33 PM
My Tires are starting to turn brown on the sidewalls. I've seen this with other cars I've had when they were treated with an "Armor All" type product.

What can I do to restore that nice black color? They look awful!

Ballard
09-27-10, 10:07 PM
You first have to scrub off the old protectant. If you want to get it off with minimal labor,use Westleys. I would caution about leaving this stuff on for any length of time ....and don't get it on the wheels. The stuff the dealers use is a oil base product that doesn't dry and attracts dirt. This has been my experience with the situation you presented. Ballard

algiorda
09-27-10, 11:10 PM
Thanks, I'll have to give Bleche Wite a try.

TheCaptain
09-28-10, 12:30 AM
Also, i would recommend staying away from any Armour All products. In my experience across three different vehicles in an eight year time frame, Armour All just wrecks the colours of materials. I ruined two dashes in two cars, and when it started taking the colour out of my Cobalt's leather seats. I totally stopped using it.

I sure love Meguiar's Gold Class Endurance Tire Gel for a long lasting shine and easy application though! :)

algiorda
09-28-10, 08:35 AM
I hear what your saying. I've never seen the need to use any type of "Armour All" type product myself. I've always had long term discoloration issues. I'm curious about the Gel product, wouldn't that also assist dirt and grime attaching to my tire sidewalls or do you not use that product on tires?

Ballard
09-28-10, 08:37 PM
Algiorda, I forgot to mention....I have had Michelin tires on several vehicles,and it takes awhile to get the brown you are refering to stop bleeding,or turning brown. I had a couple of XCH4s on a truck,and I almost gave up. But the last set before these on the SRX were crossterrains on a GMC Denalli truck with no problems. Ballard

TheCaptain
09-28-10, 11:39 PM
... I'm curious about the Gel product, wouldn't that also assist dirt and grime attaching to my tire sidewalls or do you not use that product on tires?

You would think so right! But no! Well, unless you drive on some heavier gravel /long term gravel, then it will stick a little more then usual. The gel actually dries into a shiny wet looking state. Believe me, we have lots of gravel and dust up here... :helpless: *Only for use on tires- Gold Class Endurance Tire Gel*

Also, spray nine and a potato brush cleans rubber back to black easy too, just don't let it get on the rims!! :bighead:

mm9351
09-29-10, 10:03 PM
From what I've seen / read, the brown "discoloration" is not caused by armor all / other tire gel products. It is actually due to a compound added to the tire during manufacturing to prevent the rubber from drying out. So let's not be too critical of these products...I use them frequently with no issues...appears that tires discolors when the product is completely removed; e.g. after driving through the rain a few times. Hope this helps!

jcapps
09-29-10, 11:40 PM
Thanks, I'll have to give Bleche Wite a try.

Do not get it on any other surface but the tire......................you have been warned.....lol

Cooper10
09-30-10, 07:08 AM
Scientific Reason Why Tires Turn Brown
The major factor degrading tires and other synthetic and rubber products is OZONE, an odorless gas which is part of the air we breathe. When combined with ultraviolet light a reaction occurs that attacks the tire polymer.
To protect against ozone and UV damage, a stabilizer molecule called a competitive absorber is blended with the tire polymer. Competitive absorbers work by capturing and absorbing UV radiation and converting it to heat which is dissipated harmlessly. All tire manufacturers use the same competitive absorber, carbon black. This is why all tires are black.
These absorbers are sacrificial, they expand themselves in performing their function of changing UV to heat. As carbon black loses it's ability to perform, its turns brown. This is one reason why black tires discolor with age.
To protect from further ozone damage, tire manufacturers add a wax compound to their formulas. Tires flex when thay are in motion, causing the wax molecules to migrate to the surface. This forms a protective barrier between the air (ozone and oxygen) and the tire polymer. In the tire trade this is called "blooming".
When tires are parked for extended periods, blooming does not occur and ozone starts attacking the polymer. With UV light and ozone working in concert, the degradation is accelerated, resulting in drying, discoloration and cracking.
I found this information on www.properautocare.com They have a product that retards ozone and UV damage, its called 303 Aerospace Protectant.

algiorda
09-30-10, 08:47 AM
Cooper10, thanks for the research and the explanation. What is curious is that even though I live in a very UV unfriendly area; Tampa FL (same as yourself I see), my car is garaged both day and night and I've only had the car for 3 months. That's pretty quick for discoloration to occur. I've not had Michelin's before as I have always been a Goodyear man, but it seems the Mich's have less of that UV chemical protectant.

So I really have two issues here; restoration and protection. To summarize, I'll need to use White's to restore my black, and then use the 508 Arerospace (if I can get it and afford it) to protect from future discoloration. Would you say this prescription is accurate?

Thanks
Al

ATC
09-30-10, 09:01 AM
303 Protectant does not "shine" the tire, but puts a very black matte finish. Better looking than shiny tires IMHO.

TheCaptain
09-30-10, 02:55 PM
303 Protectant does not "shine" the tire, but puts a very black matte finish. Better looking than shiny tires IMHO.

What's wrong with shiny tires? lol

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3380/4616598729_274919e7fe_b.jpg

ickday1
09-30-10, 03:17 PM
The 303 Manufacturer has a free shipping deal on their
gallon size. Plus free wipes for the interior.
www.303products.com