: 95 FWB- Brake Lights remain on

rarock
09-27-10, 10:44 AM
Hi all:

First post, but I've been reading the tech info on this forum (and the Escalade forum as well), but I do not find the problem I'm seeing now.

I got my 95 Fleetwood Brougham in August, and fixed a few of the common problems (window regulators, radio tuner box), and finally replaced the brake pads and rotors this past Saturday.

After I finished, I tested the car out, and everything worked great. No more shuddering stops... So I went out to dinner with family and took the car up the road about five miles. Cool night, some humidity in the air... and when I parked, the brake lights remained on.

I got in, and turned OFF the Twilight Sentinel, and they stayed on. I hit the brakes a couple of times to see if the switch was stuck, and they stayed on still. So, I ended up pulling the fuse, then went in.

When I came back, I put the fuse back in, and the lights were off again. I drove it back home, and the lights worked normally. They didn't stay on again.

This morning, I drove into work, and the headlights were on in the low light), and the brakes lights remained on again after I parked. Since I didn't want a dead battery, I pulled the fuse.

Now: Is this a feature I've not seen on a Cadillac before (I've owned two others, an 86 SDV and a 94 SDV, that didn't do this)? Or, is there a fault, like the brake light switch?

Thanks in advance!

Randy

mjs182004
09-27-10, 11:25 AM
Sounds like the brake light switch. I'm not sure where it is on a 95, but from my experience they are attached to the brake petal somewhere.

gtsviper2000
09-27-10, 11:45 AM
did you bleed the breaks at all when you changed the pads? its possiable there isnt proper pressure in the system, however i agree its most likely the switch, which i have always seen attached to the break pedel itself.

thefleetwoodguy
09-27-10, 12:38 PM
you can adjust the brake light switch button
its under bash at the brake pedal
step on the brake (have some one do this)
while you look for the switch, simply push the switch further into its holder it will make a clicking sound when it moves
you just want to bring it closer to the pedal arm
if this doesnt work
replace the switch, I have a few here if needed
but it sounds more like and adjustment

rarock
09-27-10, 12:50 PM
Thanks for the quick replies!

I will give this a quick look this afternoon (the brakes perform and feel OK otherwise; no air in the system, but I'm sure it could use a flush).

I may simply replace the switch since they seem to be cheap.

Randy