: R&R of heater pipes

Harry Yarnell
09-27-10, 08:45 AM
What's the easiest (I know, I know) way to replace leaky steel heater pipes on the rear (firewall side) of the engine?
'98 eldo.

johnny kannapo
09-27-10, 04:06 PM
I was looking and it looks like if you pulled the motor forward 2" as you would to R&R a fan motor access would not be too bad. I would certainly replace at least the short hoses at the crossover manifold.

Ranger
09-27-10, 09:51 PM
I would try pulling the motor forward. If that is not enough clearance then you may have to lower the front of the cradle some.

pugel
09-28-10, 10:00 PM
I have the same leaking metal heater pipes problem on my 97 deville. I can't find replacement metal heater pipes anywhere online. Anybody know where to order them from? Is there any way to successfully quick patch the leaky pipes (for example, MacGyver using bubble gum)?

Ranger
09-28-10, 10:05 PM
Part # 5 & 6
http://www.gmpartsgiant.com/Page_Product/PartDetail.aspx?modelYear=1997&model=Deville&make=Cadillac&catalogCode=65O&modelCode=6KD69&seriesCode=6KD&bodyStyleCode=69&engineCode=LD8&transCode=MT1&majorIndexID=08&minorIndexID=6M0801001&isBigPicture=True&ddlSm=Base%20Model

Submariner409
09-28-10, 10:07 PM
I have the same leaking metal heater pipes problem on my 97 deville. I can't find replacement metal heater pipes anywhere online. Anybody know where to order them from? Is there any way to successfully quick patch the leaky pipes (for example, MacGyver using bubble gum)?

??? Replace them with good ol' red or black heater hose. Make sure the runs are up high enough to be away from excess rear exhaust manifold heat but low enough not to create a high loop for an air bubble to create a lock in: no higher than the center of the throttlebody. Re-use the T-part which receives the lower reservoir connector, or, if that's shot, use a T-connector from the Help! racks at a large parts store.

pugel
09-28-10, 10:20 PM
thanks, those are the parts I am looking for.