: Finally Slalomed the V ! Very Impressive, Need some advice for the next time.

Jack B
09-26-10, 11:32 PM
Hey guys I just had to report in to the group here. I finally slalomed my stock thunder grey 2009 V. I've had it since May 09 and kept missing the events.
I have to say I was very impressed.
I beat a bunch of nice Corvettes, Porsche, Tuner cars, etc.
I used to have a fully prepped C3 Corvette that I slalomed a lot and I'm pretty sure I would have beat it's time even though I had it lightened and a lot of mods etc.
I also had a lot of people tell me how good the car looked out there.

I used 30 PSI in the PS2 tires, Stabilitrack in competion and kept the auto in
2nd. gear sport with the suspension set to sport as well.

The only thing I did not like was the car pushing in a long higher speed turn. On my 3rd run I took out some pylons due to push.
I'm curious what some of you more experienced auto crossers would suggest to have the car oversteer a bit. Stabilitrack off completely??

GMX322V S/C
09-27-10, 12:02 AM
Might want to ensure your wheel alignment is to CTS-V (suspension option "FE4") specs. It's a bit more aggressive in the front camber department than the regular CTS. The other thing that might interest you is a thicker rear sway bar--call James at D3. Running relatively higher tire pressure in front and lower in rear might also help a bit. Best of luck!

baabootoo
09-27-10, 01:57 AM
I'd raise the pressure up to at least 40. When mine was lower, it plowed on some turns. Higher, it stuck much better.

Jack B
09-27-10, 02:13 AM
Thanks. I had not heard of the FE4 spec. It sounds like something I would want for the street?
I'll look into the sway bar at the same time and the next time I'll start the day with the 40 PSI baabootoo suggests as well.

Might want to ensure your wheel alignment is to CTS-V (suspension option "FE4") specs. It's a bit more aggressive in the front camber department than the regular CTS. The other thing that might interest you is a thicker rear sway bar--call James at D3. Running relatively higher tire pressure in front and lower in rear might also help a bit. Best of luck!

GMX322V S/C
09-27-10, 09:18 AM
CTS suspension "option" FE4 is the 2009+ CTS-V's suspension, and is labeled as such in the service manual. If the alignment folks are not able to find specific settings for a 2009+ CTS-V, have them look for the same model year CTS option FE4 settings.

You might want to consider biasing your tire pressures towards the front (lower the rears) if going evenly to 40 all around just raises the limit to where the plowing occurs.

Then again, please keep in mind that the car is a bit nose-heavy and you are slinging over two tons around :) At some point, you will just have to have patience, let up, and wait for her to rotate...

baabootoo
09-28-10, 01:14 AM
I haven't tried this yet, but want to.

Tony407
09-28-10, 02:31 AM
I've autocrossed the V twice now and both times I was really impressed. There were tons of other smaller, more "agile" cars out there that I beat their times. Makes me smile. I also turned Stabilitrak off like you did, started in 1st and then kept it in 2nd for the rest of the course. I had tons of people commenting on how well the car did for such a heavy car.

I also experienced some understeer but was really happy with how predictable the handling felt. I don't think I'd change a thing other than maybe fool around with tire pressures like others have suggested.

Tony

Jack B
09-28-10, 11:33 PM
Thanks for the feedback guys. I really liked the way the car handled other than my preference is to have a little oversteer. The next time I go out I'll start with 40 PSI in all four corners and then let some out for progressive runs.
JB

baabootoo
10-02-10, 01:55 AM
I've autocrossed the V twice now and both times I was really impressed. There were tons of other smaller, more "agile" cars out there that I beat their times. Makes me smile. I also turned Stabilitrak off like you did, started in 1st and then kept it in 2nd for the rest of the course. I had tons of people commenting on how well the car did for such a heavy car.

I also experienced some understeer but was really happy with how predictable the handling felt. I don't think I'd change a thing other than maybe fool around with tire pressures like others have suggested.

Tony

Tony, you turned it all the way off, or just to Competition Mode?