: Remote Start not working

cadigirlchicago2
09-26-10, 09:53 PM
Hello!

I park my SRX at the far end of the parking lot at work so I can take up 2 spots. It takes me a good 5 minutes to walk to the inside door of my office building. When I leave and it's darker outside the remote works from the far distance because the tail lights flash so I know it's picking up the signal. The remote start does NOT work from that distance. I literally have to walk and be aprox 8 parking spots away before it picks up that signal. I think this is strange because it's obviously picking up a signal from when I hit the lock button. Any thoughts? I have taken it to the dealership 1x already and they told me it's working fine but I know different. Curious if anyone else has this issue or if you think I clearly have some problem with the mechanism for the remote start. I am doing it correctly, hitting the lock button and holding the circle icon for the 5 seconds.

Thanks!

Smokin' SRX
09-26-10, 10:23 PM
try holding the remote under your chin with each separate press, as you press! Really! The door lock signal is a momentary burst while the R.S. needs a long continuous, strong signal, to be certain of your intention. your body acts as a ground plane antenna and boots the signal in direction you look. Think spring board to a gymnast.

Try it and see if it helps!
SS

Cooper10
09-27-10, 06:14 AM
Try the other remote that came with the SRX. The remote may have a weak battery in it.

TheCaptain
09-27-10, 07:28 AM
Also this has been covered before in here, (but i can't find the thread for it right now) that the remote start distance is not near as far as the rest of the remote's functional distance. Interesting, but for some reason the rest of the functions work at the full distance while remote start has a limited distance on the SRX.

I'll do some more looking after i get back from work, because i think this may be mentioned in the manual... :hmm:

Willo
09-27-10, 11:24 AM
I have noted this very same characteristic on my SRX. Oddly enough, I have another GM car with the remote start (Buick) and the start signal is equal to the door lock/unlock signal. Judging from the many comments on the forum, I'd say this is a characteristic of the Cadillac system and not a problem with either the fob or the system. Putting the unit under your chin does help (before you press the button)

cadigirlchicago2
09-27-10, 09:48 PM
Thanks for all the great suggestions! OK so do I actually put the silver part of the remote on my chin ( where the key comes out ) and while it's still on my chin hit the lock and then the circle icon?
I'll try anything I guess - you buy a cadillac and you'd think that they'd at least put some range on it. I'm tempted to complain to the dealership since this was a major factor in buying my 1st Cadillac and maybe they would install an after market unit with a really long range. Do you think it's worth a shot asking?

TheCaptain
09-27-10, 11:33 PM
It never hurts to ask, but since the deal is done, i wouldn't hold my breath on any freebies.

Also, the non key end of the remote touches your chin. Yea, it looks a little funny, but it seriously almost doubles range! (in all keyfob sized devices- because the wavelength emitted is the same size as the average persons mouth, the mouth opening doubles wavelength)

stevec5375
09-28-10, 08:27 AM
It never hurts to ask, but since the deal is done, i wouldn't hold my breath on any freebies.

Also, the non key end of the remote touches your chin. Yea, it looks a little funny, but it seriously almost doubles range! (in all keyfob sized devices- because the wavelength emitted is the same size as the average persons mouth, the mouth opening doubles wavelength)

Not as funny as that tumor you're gonna have after blasting your chin with radio frequency waves.

Smokin' SRX
09-28-10, 11:56 AM

Then my wife's range should be TRIPLE mine!! LOL :histeric:
SS

Smokin' SRX
09-28-10, 12:05 PM
Not as funny as that tumor you're gonna have after blasting your chin with radio frequency waves.

steve, good point. I've also thought of this so many times. I almost stopped using my wi-fi laptop!! But no increase in hand tumors are resulting after 30 years of holding auto remotes, so.......... But I worry about my cell phone on my belt also, 12 hours a day. who knows?

I suspect certain individuals WILL be always susceptible to these energy waves, no matter how weak they 're made, and have a problem anyway. Pick your poisons in life! And don't look at the microwave!!! LOL (Sorry)

SS

stevec5375
09-28-10, 05:16 PM
Then my wife's range should be TRIPLE mine!! LOL :histeric:
SS

That reminds me of that old Joan Rivers saying about Elizabeth Taylor: "She's got more chins than a Chinese phonebook." LMAO

Smokin' SRX
09-28-10, 07:00 PM
LOL Hard to dislike Joan.

cadigirlchicago2
09-28-10, 08:44 PM
Does anyone know what the exact # in feet the range should be for the auto start? I found out the distance from where I park my car at work to the inside door is 624 ft. I can tell you for sure from that distance it picks up the remote signal to lock the doors because I see the tail lights flash. I tried today doing the remote control on the chin thing but it didn't work - I think maybe I had the silver part on my chin - should be the black part with silver part facing out correct?

TheCaptain
09-28-10, 10:31 PM

That's ok, i love standing in front of the mic when its running, and holding all phones to my ear when talking on them. :p

I should also be blind from sitting to close to the tv too... but that hasn't happened yet either. :o

Does anyone know what the exact # in feet the range should be for the auto start? I found out the distance from where I park my car at work to the inside door is 624 ft. I can tell you for sure from that distance it picks up the remote signal to lock the doors because I see the tail lights flash. I tried today doing the remote control on the chin thing but it didn't work - I think maybe I had the silver part on my chin - should be the black part with silver part facing out correct?

I think the remote start is limited to 150ish feet? Don't quote me on that though...
I thought i read 33 meters somewhere... which would be... :hmm: 100ft i guess.

Black part touches your chin, upright like you would hold it in your hand, just to your chin.

suprego123
09-30-10, 07:45 PM
I am the "remote start" just like I am the dishwasher. I have to run to the car first and start the car. Then the rest of the family comes into the car. Works every time.

Smokin' SRX
09-30-10, 09:11 PM
Not exactly how Tony Soprano did it, but if it works for you...............................:yup:

AVBobby
10-11-10, 06:51 AM
I just bought a 2011 SRX; I live in a high rise building with no direct view of where I park the car. Our other car is a 2003 VW Passat w/ an after market (AudioVox) remote starter; it works fine. What I have noticed about the Cadillac system is that I need to have line of sight to the car; not that this is IR, but the Cadillac remote does not provide audible feedback at the transmitter (unlike the AudioVox transmitter) and I need to be able to see the lights flash to confirm it has worked. The range, according to the manual is 65 meters or 195ft; this is not the 300' range touted by the dealer.

That's ok, i love standing in front of the mic when its running, and holding all phones to my ear when talking on them. :p

I should also be blind from sitting to close to the tv too... but that hasn't happened yet either. :o

I think the remote start is limited to 150ish feet? Don't quote me on that though...
I thought i read 33 meters somewhere... which would be... :hmm: 100ft i guess.

Black part touches your chin, upright like you would hold it in your hand, just to your chin.

NJRonbo
10-11-10, 10:46 AM
The Remote Start is the one big disappointing aspect of the SRX.

It is very limited distance wise. You can't usually start it from
across the parking lot.

When I had my '08 CTS it worked not only across the parking lot
but from inside my office building as well. Additionally, there was
a pocket inside the front seat divider storage whereas you dropped
the key fob in the slot and it recharged itself.

Not sure why they did not carry that over to the SRX.

TheCaptain
10-11-10, 12:19 PM
The Remote Start is the one big disappointing aspect of the SRX.

It is very limited distance wise. You can't usually start it from
across the parking lot.

When I had my '08 CTS it worked not only across the parking lot
but from inside my office building as well. Additionally, there was
a pocket inside the front seat divider storage whereas you dropped
the key fob in the slot and it recharged itself.

Not sure why they did not carry that over to the SRX.

Tis true, and that rechargable deal is a good idea! Its too bad we don't have that.

And thanks for the clarification AVBobby!

embassy
10-18-10, 12:34 PM
Got to quit reading these posts. Keep thinking that I must have a different SRX than everyone else. Problems that I have with the vehicle no one else seems to have. Where others have problems, I seem to have the exact opposite. Was out the other night walking with the wife. I was at least 300 feet away from my SRX and clicked the door look on my remote. Was really surprised that the car responded from that distance. Neither my CTS nor my STS had that range. My wife even commented that she was surprised that the remote worked that distance away. So, for the heck of it I decided to see if it would remote start. Sure enough it did. I was quite shocked as I had never had that range before - maximum of about 100 feet on any other car.

After reading these posts I just decided to go outside my office and test it again in case that was a fluke. Walked to the end of the parking lot which happens to be 310 feet from my SRX parking spot. Remote start worked just fine -3 times. And I did not even hold the remote up to my chin or anything crazy like that.