: McDonald's could have very well saved my life this morning.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
09-26-10, 07:48 PM
So I was up with a few friends at a friend's cabin in rural northern Wisconsin this weekend. We partied a lot, had a few great bonfires, and so on and so forth. Well we left this morning at about 10:30, and by 11:40 we stopped in a local town to grab some lunch. We went to McDonalds because it would soak up all the remaining alcohol in our stomachs from the long and drunk weekend. Well we were debating whether or not to eat in or take it to go. We decided on eating in (my suggestion FWIW), and it's a good thing we did, because in the next town down the road, about 10 minutes away, about the time we were eating our food, a rural man started shooting at innocent bystanders along the main highway through town.

The cops say it happened at about noon, and we rolled through the scene (it was along the only main east-west highway in a town of approximately 1,000 people) at about 12:15, so if we didn't eat there, we may very well have been getting shot at. Maybe, maybe not. We'll never know, but I'm very glad we decided to stop and eat.

When we rolled through the accident scene, it looked as though there was a big car accident, because we saw someone in a Ford F-150 with buckshot along their driver's door, and their driver's window was shot out, and the cop was talking to the driver, and there was another car across the street with a few gun shots in the side of it too. We thought it was maybe a car accident or an instance of road rage. No idea it was a madmen with a gun. Later on down the highway, we got passed by a cop in a Charger who must have been doing 90 (in a 55) and unknown to us at the time, he later caught up with the gunman and shot him dead.

We talked about it for a while, wondering what happened, but thought it was road rage because of all the buck shot on the F-150. My buddy checked the local news sites when we got back home and found this article, explaining it all.

http://wcco.com/crime/deputy.shot.siren.2.1932633.html

drewsdeville
09-26-10, 07:52 PM
Nice...

Just out of curiousity, where in WI did you spend the weekend?

Submariner409
09-26-10, 07:58 PM
Wisconsin ??? I'd believe "on the Washington (or Baltimore) Beltway", but not Wisconsin !

ga_etc
09-26-10, 08:01 PM
Wow, that is insane! Glad to hear that you and your friends are safe and averted near disaster.

orconn
09-26-10, 08:02 PM
Sounds as though folks from Wisconsin love of Cognac strikes again! Also sounds like your, or someone in yout group's, guardian angel was on the job! Glad to hear weekend encounter was with a bottle and not a gun!

orconn
09-26-10, 08:03 PM
Why not Wisconsin, Sub? Just look at who they send to Wasington!

I~LUV~Caddys8792
09-26-10, 08:24 PM
Nice...

Just out of curiousity, where in WI did you spend the weekend?

About 7 miles north of Trego on highway 53, and then about 3 miles east off 53. It's really out in the country, in the middle of a logging forest, right near Gardner Lake.

Here's a different news stations report on the story. I remember passing that Avalanche pictured in the clip, with the boat in tow, and seeing the gunshots along side of the truck.
http://kstp.com/news/stories/S1761885.shtml?cat=1

Ranger
09-26-10, 09:30 PM
I guess that stuff can happen anywhere, but it's not common up there in the Northwoods. Glad you missed the hunting season.

Submariner409
09-26-10, 09:35 PM
I guess that stuff can happen anywhere, but it's not common up there in the Northwoods. Glad you missed the hunting season.

Kicker is, it's not usually the hunters and gun collectors - it's the closet weirdos.

..........exactly why I keep a Taurus Judge in the bedside table, loaded with high brass #4.

77CDV
09-26-10, 09:42 PM
Yikes! Never thought I'd see the day, but thank God you love your fast food, Chad.

Ranger
09-26-10, 09:51 PM
Kicker is, it's not usually the hunters and gun collectors - it's the closet weirdos.

..........exactly why I keep a Taurus Judge in the bedside table, loaded with high brass #4.
I was referring to them being the hunted, but you are absolutely right Sub. I also keep an equalizer within reach. :thumbsup:

I~LUV~Caddys8792
09-26-10, 10:07 PM
I was just watching the local Fox affiliate's report on the shooting, and they were talking to a few people that had gotten shot directly at, and they both said that the gunman looked them directly in the eye as they drove by, but he aimed away from their faces, but rather at their doors or front fenders when he pulled the trigger. The shooter was a 43 year old man, known by the local police, but they wouldn't give a name or a history.

hueterm
09-26-10, 11:39 PM
#4 Buck, right? Is that a good HD round? I guess in a 410 there are more pellets than in 00....

gdwriter
09-26-10, 11:49 PM
Damn, glad you and your friends are OK, Chad. Unhealthy fried food FTW.

The-Dullahan
09-27-10, 12:30 AM
Everyone's thanking the McDonalds, but the reason they stopped to eat was because they were hungry from the drunken weekend and had to "soak up the remaining alcohol".

Clearly, Alcohol is to thank.

No doubt about it.
Can't live without it.

Seriously though, it is nice to know that you are alright. Some people are just nucking futs and there's nothing you can do to plan for this kind of crap. no time to worry about the what-if's though.

johnny kannapo
09-27-10, 02:43 AM
Thats insane, you guys must have got some religion at that Mcdonalds

drewsdeville
09-27-10, 09:07 AM
If I was in that position, I probably would have died. I can't stomach McDonalds when I'm starving, let alone hungover. :vomit:

Surely I would have passed it up and drove right into the madmans sights.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
09-27-10, 06:05 PM
Based upon the quality of food at some of the establishments in the area (or in any real small town), seeing something as safe and consistent as McDonalds is good. McD's isn't something I'd normally go for, but when it's that or a trip over across the street to "Snag's Bar", I'll go with McD's.

77CDV
09-27-10, 11:45 PM
Come on, now, Snag's Bar has an intriguing sound about it. :lol:

Destroyer
09-28-10, 12:06 AM
You will always wonder about this one Chad. Who knows what would have happened if you didn't eat in? Do I go inside Taco Bell or stick with the drive through next time? hmm

HAZZARDJOHN
09-28-10, 09:22 AM
Just to be safe, I stopped and had an Bacon egg and cheese biscuit this morning. Can't be too careful!

OffThaHorseCEO
09-28-10, 11:03 AM
Based upon the quality of food at some of the establishments in the area (or in any real small town), seeing something as safe and consistent as McDonalds is good. McD's isn't something I'd normally go for, but when it's that or a trip over across the street to "Snag's Bar", I'll go with McD's.

thats the point i try to get across to my gf. we went to the beach one time, mcdonalds and wendys were 3 miles away but she didnt wanna go there, she said if you want burgers we'll go to here." it was a little hole in the wall on the pier, we ended up paying 8 bucks EACH for crappy burgers the size of a mcds double cheeseburger, crappy fries, and crappy ice with some soda in it.

I was PISSED. i told her, this is why i wanted mcdonalds/wendys, even if its crappy. at least you know what level of crappiness to expect, and they dont charge ridiculous prices either...

so now, anytime we travel or we're somewhere strange, we'll either eat at a nice restaurant, or a restaurant chain we're familiar with. we debate briefly over a couple of local choices or the chain before going with the "tried and true"

o also, you must have done some good deed recently and this is fates way of paying you back.

orconn
09-28-10, 11:22 AM
Ofcourse by playing it safe with McDonald's you are really limiting tthe opportunity to have a really good meal at a "mom and pop" restaurant as you meander through life!

drewsdeville
09-28-10, 11:40 AM
Ofcourse by playing it safe with McDonald's you are really limiting tthe opportunity to have a really good meal at a "mom and pop" restaurant as you meander through life!
:yeah:

Almost ANYTHING is better than McDonalds. Even if you get unlucky every now and then, most of the time you get something comparable or better than McDonalds.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
09-28-10, 01:08 PM
I honestly don't find the quality of their food to be that bad. It's not gonna wow me ever, but it's quite adequate. I can't say the same about BK though.

Jesda
09-28-10, 04:27 PM
Sometimes speed trumps quality.

blue07cts
09-28-10, 05:55 PM
WOW thats the kind of thing that gives you chills! glad to hear you are ok man!

billc83
09-28-10, 08:51 PM
Sometimes speed trumps quality.

As many a girl has told me...

I~LUV~Caddys8792
09-28-10, 08:59 PM
Zing! :lol:

EChas3
09-28-10, 10:51 PM
Glad to read they got him before the courts did.

In Wisconsin there's more justice inside the prisons than in the courts. Ask Jeffrey Dahlmer's victims.

The-Dullahan
09-29-10, 04:52 AM
Jeffrey Dahlmer's victims.

Are still better than McDonalds.

77CDV
09-29-10, 09:27 PM
^That was evil, Rob. Deeply amusing, though.