: So anybody around boston want to help out a fellow Caddy owner?

drewb612
09-13-04, 08:36 PM
The car was previously owned by my grandma for 75k miles, its been babied, i believe it has tons of carbon buildup. Service engine soon is on and off occasionally, sometimes car stutters a bit, idle sometimes is very rough ranging from 600-700 rpm causing the car to shake. Anyways i was wondering if a fellow caddy owner could take a day off, or a weekend, head out to framingham MA and help me out with whats needed for a full carbon cleanup, or the best i can get without any technical machines. I dont have much money, but i'd be willing to take whoever out for a great lunch in the area and even dinner if it runs that late. Let me know, post here, email me, w.e

thanks!

foo
09-13-04, 11:52 PM
Drive it like you stole it for a few days with some fuel system cleaner in the tank.
Pedal all the way down every time you get on the highway and then some :)
after lots of treatments of this it will clean it out, but sometimes it might be lots and lots like hours worth of keeping it in second gear and blasting the pedal up to 6000 rpm then letting off gas so it slows down and then punching it back up again over and over.

drewb612
09-13-04, 11:54 PM
isnt that fuel system cleaner not so great, im trying to do this the right and safe way. Ive already cleaned the TB, not 100% but ive started.

RBraczyk
09-14-04, 12:21 AM
Get gumout system cleaner. It does good, get a full tank of gas and run it hard and run it till its almost dry, that should do you good.

Ranger
09-14-04, 02:30 AM
Personally, I would go with the WOT treatments and stay away from the Fuel additives. Just my $0.02

Spyder
09-14-04, 02:56 AM
No fuel treatments!!! WOT it to death...well...not really to death, but a whole lot, eh :)

Oh yea, and have fun doing it too!!!

dkozloski
09-14-04, 03:28 AM
For an old mechanics trick. Open the intake air system to where you can remove the filter and get a clear shot at the intake. With the engine running at about 2000RPM use a spray bottle to shoot a mist of water into the intake. The thermal shock of the water will produce clouds of carbon out the exhaust of a carboned up engine with NO bad effects. This method has been tried and true for at least 80 years. I did this just the other day to an old truck that was so badly carboned up that it would continue to run after the ignition was switched off due to the carbon hot spots. The treatment was successful.

Spyder
09-14-04, 05:03 AM
But don't do it to your aluminum Northstar engine.

I've done the 'ol, heat it up until its almost boiling, then pour a gallon of diesel down the carb, then a gallon of water down the carb to lots of old stuff too...notably and with the most effect to my '63 T-Bird 406 w/ 2 4bbls. Don't, however, do it to a new aluminum computer controlled super high tech engine like the N* unless you want to rely on that dealer tech for a much more expensive repair.

dloch
09-14-04, 11:31 AM
What year is the car?

dkozloski
09-14-04, 03:53 PM
Spyder, Who besides you said anything about a gallon of diesel and a gallon of water? I'm talking about a fine spray from an old 409 cleaner bottle. The thermal shock is what releases the carbon. All in all a very gentle operation.

Spyder
09-14-04, 05:28 PM
Yea, I know...the gallon of each worked great on my old Ford 401 (just noticed I put 406 for the T-Bird...that was the 63 Merc, Bird was a 401) is what I meant to say. Sorry 'bout the mix-up...I'm just saying that these N*'s wouldn't appreciate it much if water was introduced into their system...could be catastrophic if it got into the cylinders

drewb612
09-14-04, 08:33 PM
a 97

growe3
09-14-04, 10:54 PM
Before I would go out and stress this car, I would like to know a little more about its condition.

Read the error codes and post if any.

Make sure the oil is about midway up the dipstick's index marks, when engine is warmed up.

Pull the spark plug wires off at the cam cover and look in the spark plug tubes. If there is any water or oil in them, soak it up with a rag and a slim screwdriver, prior to removing any spark plug.

Pull the spark plugs, at 75k they may need to be replaced. If you decide to replace them use double platinum type.

Grab each plug wire at the coil and give it a twist to make sure it has a good connection.

Check the air filter.

Replace the fuel filter.

Just doing WOTs without some basic knowledge first, can damage the engine and spoil the fun.

-George

drewb612
09-14-04, 10:57 PM
Before I would go out and stress this car, I would like to know a little more about its condition.

Read the error codes and post if any.

Make sure the oil is about midway up the dipstick's index marks, when engine is warmed up.

Pull the spark plug wires off at the cam cover and look in the spark plug tubes. If there is any water or oil in them, soak it up with a rag and a slim screwdriver, prior to removing any spark plug.

Pull the spark plugs, at 75k they may need to be replaced. If you decide to replace them use double platinum type.

Grab each plug wire at the coil and give it a twist to make sure it has a good connection.

Check the air filter.

Replace the fuel filter.

Just doing WOTs without some basic knowledge first, can damage the engine and spoil the fun.

-George

Heres the condition of the car http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21222

constant misfire codes, very shaky idle, it goes to long cadillac tomorrow for a full inspection paid for by dickface valet inc