: How do you remove the front headlamps?

bwclemons
09-26-10, 04:20 PM
Does anyone know the procedure for removing the front headlamps? It appears that the front bumper cover needs to be removed.

TheCaptain
09-26-10, 07:34 PM
If you are wanting to remove the actual whole casing, yes the bumper needs to be removed. If you are wanting to change bulbs, they are accessible by:
Passengers side: Removing whole air box assembly, and easy access to the turn caps used to cover each bulb
Drivers side: Removing top of fuse box, popping six clips for the fuse main box to release from the bottom of the fuse box. (I find it easier to disconnect the battery first, makes it easy to flip the fuse box over for more accessibility.)
Loosen and remove small nut holding the bottom of fuse box in place, remove bottom fuse box.
Access to the bulb turn caps is available for agile small limber hands/fingers.

More info/pics here.
Access to the DRL's and Turn Signals (http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-srx-second-generation-forum-2010/197584-access-drls-turn-signals.html)

bwclemons
09-26-10, 09:53 PM
Thanks for the reply. I want to remove the whole fixture. I'm thinking of making the drl's go to the high beams and installing Hid's for the lows. That means I need to look at the wiring as well as get to the bulbs. I assume there is a place that the ballasts reside for those that came with Hid's originally. I guess now I need to know how to remove the bumper.

2010sled
09-27-10, 10:44 AM
and void the warenntty same

TheCaptain
09-28-10, 12:24 AM
and void the warenntty same

The warranty is only void on parts affected by the modification. You don't void your whole warranty because you put HID's in.
:bigroll:

bwclemons
09-28-10, 11:01 AM
I know. The premium packages run drl's on the highbeams with the lows on hid. Hid's will not ignite with the lower voltage of drl's so that's how the factory wire cars with drl's. Doe's anyone have shop manuals? I will probally remove the bumper cover and take a look. I'm sure it will only take thirty minutes or so. When I get everything done I will write a DIY with pictures. There is probally one or two wires to repin in the harness and then add aftermarket hid's to the low beams which are plug and play. Unless the car has a front end collision the service people would not even know the difference because the install will be as close to factory as it could possibly be. The only difference will be a different igniter.

stevec5375
09-28-10, 06:19 PM
I know. The premium packages run drl's on the highbeams with the lows on hid. Hid's will not ignite with the lower voltage of drl's so that's how the factory wire cars with drl's. Doe's anyone have shop manuals? I will probally remove the bumper cover and take a look. I'm sure it will only take thirty minutes or so. When I get everything done I will write a DIY with pictures. There is probally one or two wires to repin in the harness and then add aftermarket hid's to the low beams which are plug and play. Unless the car has a front end collision the service people would not even know the difference because the install will be as close to factory as it could possibly be. The only difference will be a different igniter.

I am awestruck by you DIY'ers. I would never attempt something like this because I just don't have the patience or skills.

TheCaptain
09-28-10, 11:24 PM
I know. The premium packages run drl's on the highbeams with the lows on hid. Hid's will not ignite with the lower voltage of drl's so that's how the factory wire cars with drl's. ...

Yes, although not actually "highs" on AFL models. Models with AFL use a smaller bulb as DRL's where the lower models have their highs (7440 compared to H1 on non AFL models). Lows and highs are controlled through the single projector HID of which the flash to pass function still works for AFL models.
You know, just fyi. :cool:

bwclemons
09-29-10, 10:36 AM
Yes, thanks. It will be a couple of weeks before I get to the project as I will be out of town. As soon as I get a moment I'll get things started and let everyone know what I find. My main goal is to not make any splices, but to repin the harness where needed. This wil save about $1000.00 on the factory Hid's. I'ts not that I wouldn't pay for the factory Hid's but my wife picked the car off the lot and I'm left with the basic halagens. All my cars have Hid's and I can't stand the lower lighting levels. In the first week I added a CURT class 3 hitch and modified the the Tow bar cover so I didn't have to leave the cover off for the hitch, which is ugly, left off like GM does. Although all I need the hitch for is my bike rack. Also added Weather Tech mats all around which are really needed in the winter in our area.