: Good Bye SRX

Esquire02
09-26-10, 11:54 AM
Yesterday I finally cut bait and got rid of my 2010 SRX that I took delivery of in March. I had nothing but one issue after another including....a 3 week stay at the dealer for air conditioner system failure within one month of getting the car, multiple trips for a faulty alignment and misaligned steering wheel from the manufacturer that the dealer could not get right, missing chrome, a transmission that didn't shift properly in and out of corners, squeaks and creaks everywhere, and multiple software problems that would cause all of the interior lights and dash alerts to come on and stay on for no reason. BTW, I think you will find that most of the squeaks and creaks are caused by the sunroof. The design is not tight and there is a lot of movable rubber on plastic for the seal that can't be lubricated often enough to get rid of the noise.

I traded in the SRX and picked up a 2010 loaded CTS4. The CTS4 was a bit more expensive but with the 0% financing and knowing what I am getting in a model that has been out for 3 years, I was glad to take the small hit and leave my aggravation and the worry of "what's next?" behind.

I was very patient with the car and gave it every chance but enough is enough. What I find incredible is the dealer's disbelief of my frustration with the SRX. All they have to do is come here and read and I am certain they are very aware of all of the problems people are having with this car. I admit that I love the style, look, ride, and equipment on the SRX but it is very apparent to me that this initial release was rushed and a lot of issues have come up that the dealers are aware of but pretend not to when you bring them up. They are not good actors. I hope they work out all the kinks over the next year or so, I just decided it was not longer going to be at my expense and worry. I hope all of you that are sticking with it end up with good results. It is a beautiful car and has all the potential to be the best crossover on the market but GM needs to get back to the drawing board on some of these issues, and not at the expense of the consumer. For those of you who say the expense is not on the consumer because of warranty, my response is that every time I have to go the dealer, that is at my expense. My time is money, like everyone else and I'm tired of making arrangements to have my car looked at which ties up my time and causes me to miss work, etc....so it is my expense. The other expense is the constant aggravation of existing issues along with the worry of what's next. That is not a stress I need in my life, particularly with a $45k car.

stevec5375
09-26-10, 12:59 PM
Yesterday I finally cut bait and got rid of my 2010 SRX that I took delivery of in March. I had nothing but one issue after another including....a 3 week stay at the dealer for air conditioner system failure within one month of getting the car, multiple trips for a faulty alignment and misaligned steering wheel from the manufacturer that the dealer could not get right, missing chrome, a transmission that didn't shift properly in and out of corners, squeaks and creaks everywhere, and multiple software problems that would cause all of the interior lights and dash alerts to come on and stay on for no reason. BTW, I think you will find that most of the squeaks and creaks are caused by the sunroof. The design is not tight and there is a lot of movable rubber on plastic for the seal that can't be lubricated often enough to get rid of the noise.

I traded in the SRX and picked up a 2010 loaded CTS4. The CTS4 was a bit more expensive but with the 0% financing and knowing what I am getting in a model that has been out for 3 years, I was glad to take the small hit and leave my aggravation and the worry of "what's next?" behind.

I was very patient with the car and gave it every chance but enough is enough. What I find incredible is the dealer's disbelief of my frustration with the SRX. All they have to do is come here and read and I am certain they are very aware of all of the problems people are having with this car. I admit that I love the style, look, ride, and equipment on the SRX but it is very apparent to me that this initial release was rushed and a lot of issues have come up that the dealers are aware of but pretend not to when you bring them up. They are not good actors. I hope they work out all the kinks over the next year or so, I just decided it was not longer going to be at my expense and worry. I hope all of you that are sticking with it end up with good results. It is a beautiful car and has all the potential to be the best crossover on the market but GM needs to get back to the drawing board on some of these issues, and not at the expense of the consumer. For those of you who say the expense is not on the consumer because of warranty, my response is that every time I have to go the dealer, that is at my expense. My time is money, like everyone else and I'm tired of making arrangements to have my car looked at which ties up my time and causes me to miss work, etc....so it is my expense. The other expense is the constant aggravation of existing issues along with the worry of what's next. That is not a stress I need in my life, particularly with a $45k car.

I'm sorry you have had so much trouble with the SRX. So far the only problems I have had are replacing the radio and the chrome pieces falling off near the side mirror. (knock on wood)

I do a pretty good detail job on my SRX every weekend. One thing I have noticed is that the construction seems cheap to me. My last $36K vehicle had a much tighter, sturdy build.

The one thing that puzzles me is that you actually bought another GM product after being plagued by one of their new products. I certainly wouldn't "reward" GM for screwing me over by buying something else from them.

Good luck with your new car. I hope my SRX holds up.

Esquire02
09-26-10, 01:43 PM
The one thing that puzzles me is that you actually bought another GM product after being plagued by one of their new products. I certainly wouldn't "reward" GM for screwing me over by buying something else from them.

I am always willing to give someone a second chance and for the most part I don't think Cadillac has ever been suspect in quality. My family has had a number of Cadillacs over the years and have had virtually no problems. Like I said before, I think GM was under enormous pressure with the bankruptcy to get a hot car out there and rushed the SRX to production. I have not heard many complaints about any other line of Cadillac models, including the CTS. My new CTS feels much "tighter" and extremely well built in comparison to my SRX. The CTS feels very solid and quiet. Time will tell.

Marc NY
09-26-10, 03:58 PM

I was very patient with the car and gave it every chance but enough is enough. What I find incredible is the dealer's disbelief of my frustration with the SRX. All they have to do is come here and read and I am certain they are very aware of all of the problems people are having with this car. I admit that I love the style, look, ride, and equipment on the SRX but it is very apparent to me that this initial release was rushed and a lot of issues have come up that the dealers are aware of but pretend not to when you bring them up. They are not good actors. I hope they work out all the kinks over the next year or so, I just decided it was not longer going to be at my expense and worry. I hope all of you that are sticking with it end up with good results. It is a beautiful car and has all the potential to be the best crossover on the market but GM needs to get back to the drawing board on some of these issues, and not at the expense of the consumer. For those of you who say the expense is not on the consumer because of warranty, my response is that every time I have to go the dealer, that is at my expense. My time is money, like everyone else and I'm tired of making arrangements to have my car looked at which ties up my time and causes me to miss work, etc....so it is my expense. The other expense is the constant aggravation of existing issues along with the worry of what's next. That is not a stress I need in my life, particularly with a $45k car.It is unfortunate that you had such a bad experience with your new 2010 SRX. It appears that you got one vehicle that needed more attention than you deserved to have. The only two issues I have had with mine was the chrome piece that feel off by the mirror... which that piece was made in Canada and obviously was a vendor issue. The second issue that I have but has not stayed off was my left low beam headlight had not come on a few times. I subsequently turned the SRX off and then back on and the problem seemed to have temporarly gone away.

By the looks of most SRX owners we are thankfully that you are in the rare minority. I am looking forward to getting another 2011 SRX by springtime. :heart:

RightTurn
09-26-10, 04:11 PM
Enjoy your new car, Esquire! Sorry the SRX didn't work out.

mw1862
09-26-10, 05:03 PM
Cheers to you. Nobody should have to put up with the xrap you did. A lemon is a lemon and they exist in every make. Too bad it wound up costing you $$$. Good luck with the new car.

2010sled
09-26-10, 06:01 PM
i would have at least got a cts V

Esquire02
09-26-10, 06:14 PM
Yeah, except that it gets about 8mpg and I dont have to many open roads here in Chicago to enjoy its power. It sure would be a great second car though.

i would have at least got a cts V

TheCaptain
09-26-10, 06:41 PM
Well, it sucks your SRX didn't hold up very well. But it is good to see you give GM another chance, and have a good attitude towards it as well. Congrats on the CTS and i hope you have lots of luck with it!

GeeVee
09-26-10, 10:26 PM
I`m sorry to hear the frustration and disappointment you sufferred with your SRX. Like you, I would have done the same and cut my losses. So far I`ve been very happy with mine but clearly Cadillac and GM have you let down in a big way. Good luck with your new Caddy!

RippyPartsDept
09-26-10, 10:32 PM
btw, CTS is assembled in Michigan, right? good to support the local mfg industry

Smokin' SRX
09-26-10, 10:39 PM
Three of my friends love a local restaurant. First time I go, the order gets screwed up, waitress drops a dirty knife on my white pants, and food is awful! They tell me it was a fluke. I try once more 3 weeks later and have a terrific experience. Been back 2 more times and all great....

There just are "lemons" and "bad days" when Murphy gets everybody/thing to follow his Law, it seems..................

If the CTS (I want a coupe!!) "stabs you in the back" also, that new Jeep looks awful nice :-)

Best wishes w/ that gorgeous CTS!

SS

PJ1520
09-27-10, 01:54 PM
The CTS4 is what I got as a loaner during my last two dealer visits. Nice ride. If I were in your position I'd have done the same thing and bailed. You fought a good battle, albeit a losing one.

embassy
09-27-10, 05:53 PM
BTW, I think you will find that most of the squeaks and creaks are caused by the sunroof. The design is not tight and there is a lot of movable rubber on plastic for the seal that can't be lubricated often enough to get rid of the noise.

Yes, that is exactly what I am battling right now. Three times into the dealer now for squeaks and creaks that they can't seem to correct. Last time they pulled the whole roof liner, unbolted the sunroof, realigned it, and retightned everything. Dealer test drove it and said all was quiet. I got 6 blocks from the dealer and I have creaks and squeaks from both sides again, front and rear. When I took it in I only had it from the drivers side. Definitely coming from the ultraview sunroof area. They don't seem to know how to fix these noises and seem to be grasping at straws. Back in for visit #4 later this week. I also agree with you about the cost - everytime I take it in at least an hour and half of time is spent getting / returning loaner vehicle etc.

johnl327
09-28-10, 10:17 PM

I also have had numerous problems with my srx performence model.It has been at the dealer 8 times since march 1 week to 12 days each time,the last time I brought it in was for a loud rattle from the back every time I go over a bump they said they fixed it but it is still the same,I think I will be getting rid of it in the near future for a car that cost $47000.00 it shouldn't have trouble that can't be fixed properly.

RippyPartsDept
09-28-10, 10:34 PM
i'm starting to wonder about the mexican assembly lines... do they take siestas and drink tequila?

Esquire02
09-28-10, 10:50 PM
I also have had numerous problems with my srx performence model.It has been at the dealer 8 times since march 1 week to 12 days each time,the last time I brought it in was for a loud rattle from the back every time I go over a bump they said they fixed it but it is still the same,I think I will be getting rid of it in the near future for a car that cost $47000.00 it shouldn't have trouble that can't be fixed properly.

Sometimes it is best just to cut your losses. I am sad that it didn't work out for me and it seems for you as well. I suggest you take a look at the CTS or STS, I think they are proven winners.

Esquire02
09-28-10, 10:55 PM
i'm starting to wonder about the mexican assembly lines... do they take siestas and drink tequila?

Is the SRX the only one assembled in Mexico?

TheCaptain
09-28-10, 11:08 PM
Is the SRX the only one assembled in Mexico?

Some Avalanche's, and some Silverado/Sierra's are made in Mexico as well.

I'm happy to say my SRX is rather quite flawless with 18 000 kms on it! :D

Smokin' SRX
09-28-10, 11:52 PM
I once had a dentist that couldn't do a root canal to save his eye teeth! Finally couldn't take it and went to a diff dentist. Problem resolved. 4 years ago.....

Bad Dealers make minor problems chronic. I;d try a diff dealer at least twice, before bailing out cause I like the car. Is that a convenient possibility for you guys?

I am happy w/ mine and feel terrible that your problems seem unfixable.. She's a sweet ride..............

All the best!

SS

embassy
09-29-10, 01:13 AM
Bad Dealers make minor problems chronic. I;d try a diff dealer at least twice, before bailing out cause I like the car. Is that a convenient possibility for you guys?

SS

I was thinking about that today as I was driving to work with a rattling in the back over each bump and a squeak and a rattle from the headliner right by my ear. There are 2 different dealers nearby, each with two locations. I think that I am going to try your suggestion before I think about bailing myself.

meaninc
09-30-10, 07:45 AM
I'm sorry you had to go through all those problems. I would have gotten rid of it too. I find that my dealer has no knowledge of the new build SRX and they admit it. Everytime I come in with a problem they have to find out how to fix it. I come in with suggestions in hand from this forum, LOL! I took delivery in Feb of this year and so far I have had problems with the brakes, chrome falling off, and a strange creeking noise coming from the front wheel area (that problem took them 2 visits and a couple and a 2 day stay in the shop to diagnose...then after they fixed it they had to find out how to bill GM for the warranty fix because they didn't have a maintenance code for it, LOL!). Overall I am still in love with it. I expect to have problems with a new build, but not as many as you were having. Enjoy your CTS4! I had one as a loaner and it was nice.

AngieS
10-09-10, 10:14 PM
I too had a lemon that I had bought at the end of December 09. The dealer was amazing though and in March gave me a brand new one! Thankfully this is one seems to be perfect and the only thing so far is the chrome detail falling off near the mirrors. The original one had an air conditioning issue...there was no rear heating. Then the radio failed and I began to feel like the car was Humpty Dumpty that had been taken apart and put together. Sewell Cadillac in Grapevine TX were absolutely amazing though and I love my new one!

Esquire02
10-10-10, 11:06 AM
I too had a lemon that I had bought at the end of December 09. The dealer was amazing though and in March gave me a brand new one! Thankfully this is one seems to be perfect and the only thing so far is the chrome detail falling off near the mirrors. The original one had an air conditioning issue...there was no rear heating. Then the radio failed and I began to feel like the car was Humpty Dumpty that had been taken apart and put together. Sewell Cadillac in Grapevine TX were absolutely amazing though and I love my new one!

I am glad that it all worked out for you, I was not that fortunate but am happy with my new CTS4.

Ponyman
10-11-10, 01:07 PM
The HHR is assembled in the same plant as the SRX and the Avalanche. Not by choise byt I have one of each a 07 Avalanche, 09 HHR and 10 SRX. All them so far have been very good cars with only a couple of minor problems.