: Front vibration

mike5514
09-26-10, 10:46 AM
Took (my new to me) 06dts to the local gm dealer for a oil chg. wheel rotation and a 27 point insp. Sometime between leaving the 4 lane, pulling in to the dealer and back out to the 4 lane hi way, the car developed a frt vibration. Instead of going back to the dealer I got out my old sears bubble balancer removed the wheel (had to put a pipe on my breaker bar to loosen the lug nuts). wheel needed a weight, made my marks and turned the wheel over to install the weight. Exactly where my weight was going there was a mark of a previous weight. I installed the new weight and road tested, vibration gone! Decided to re torque the other wheels. Using the torque wrench to remove the nuts on the other front wheel 1 was 130ft lb. 2 broke loose at 140ft lb. The forth let go at 150 ft. lb and the last I had to use the pipe on my breaker bar to get it loose. mike

Superjim
09-26-10, 08:57 PM
It could be co-incidence...
But it also could be that the service guy removed a weight ...figuring you would bring it back and pay to have work done to it.

Which of course...it didn't need.

Texas Jim

HartfordGuy
09-28-10, 04:51 PM
Sorry to hear of the experience Mike.

I've had hit or miss luck with various tire shops and dealers getting quality tire balancing. When I bought my DTS there was a minor vibration. I took it to my local Goodyear shop that usually does a crack job. But they didn't help it much. So I went to my local Cadillac dealer (Valenti Cadillac of Hartford) for an oil change and tire balance. They got it right. Hit or miss I tell ya.

mike5514
06-08-11, 03:40 PM
Update to my 06 DTS vibration
Car was fine for a few months one day took off for a trip and bang! entered the freeway and the vibration was back all the way there and back for 1300 miles. Since i drive mostly urban I did not get to it right away.Getting on a freeway a couple days ago the car felt like a wheel was going to fall off. When I got back I balanced the right front tire (It had 3and1/4 ounce weights on it, I put 6 ounces on the tire) went for a test drive PERFECT all the way to 70mph total of 10 miles not a hiccup.

Wife went to the store today felt the same (wheel fall off) getting on the freeway. On the way back the car was running PERFECT. What the heck! Mike

Superjim
06-08-11, 05:36 PM
Update to my 06 DTS vibration
Car was fine for a few months one day took off for a trip and bang! entered the freeway and the vibration was back all the way there and back for 1300 miles. Since i drive mostly urban I did not get to it right away.Getting on a freeway a couple days ago the car felt like a wheel was going to fall off. When I got back I balanced the right front tire (It had 3and1/4 ounce weights on it, I put 6 ounces on the tire) went for a test drive PERFECT all the way to 70mph total of 10 miles not a hiccup.

Wife went to the store today felt the same (wheel fall off) getting on the freeway. On the way back the car was running PERFECT. What the heck! Mike

Mike,
Just my opinion, but if you now have 9 1/4 ounces of weight on the tire... or even 6 ounces... that is not right.
Something is wrong with it.
It could have a broke belt and the belt could be moving a little inside the tire thus causing the erratic balancing issues.

Texas Jim

Lev Blekher
06-08-11, 08:49 PM
Pretty cool that you balance wheels yourself. My neighbor's farm where I do my work has every tool known to man, and they can do absolutely any kind of job a car can need, except install tires or balance wheels.

Wonder what the problem is with your wheel.

mike5514
06-09-11, 12:27 AM
Jim I removed the old weights and installed 6 oz. of new weights. Yes I think 6 oz. is a bit much. I thought it was the tire also but it looks good no bulges and it rolls good. A broken belt would that come and go?

Lev I use to remove and install tires using tire irons but no more it wears me out.

I will test drive it in the morning see if i can duplicate the problem

The car is a base 06 with continental tires they look almost new.Mike

Cadillac Cust Svc
06-09-11, 12:05 PM
Mike5514,

I am sorry to hear that this has happened again. Did you speak with your local Cadillac dealership to confirm if they could figure out the issue with your vehicle?

Thank you

Elizabeth, Cadillac Customer Service