: Goodbye Cadillac

Southern
09-26-10, 12:21 AM
Well, change happens.

My wife of 41 years died in August.
It hurt. She was the kindest, gentlest, nicest person I ever knew.
We were lovers, spouses, and best friends.
Brain cancer. They gave her 6 to 9 months.
She was gone 17 days later.

But there are no more tears left.
Time to get on with whatever life I have left at 72.

Well, after giving it some thought......
I don't need two cars.
I don't need a 4 door, Big Cadillac to haul my skinny butt around.
The Mercedes should be the easier car to sell.
It's a 2010. It's only got 4100 miles. It's a small SUV.

What I decided I wanted.
A convertible.
Haven't had one since my 89 Mustang.
Traded that one in 96.

A used car.
I just don't need a new car.
As long as it looks good and it is in good shape.......

So today I went to Galloway Ford and traded for an "old" used car.
It is a 2004 with 31,000 miles on it. Seven Years old. You would never guess it.
Looks pretty. Drives Pretty.
I gave them the caddy, they gave me this car with a Ford ESP 4 Year 48,000 mile warranty.
And a check for a few thousand dollars.........!
First time I ever traded and they paid me! :)

2004 Thunderbird. Two seater.

That Hardtop is a seasonal thing.
I will leave it on during the summer when it is real hot and rains a lot, and take it off once fall gets here. Soon, hopefully.
Under the hard top is a black power canvas top.

Now to sell the Mercedes GLK350.
I've got my friends looking for somebody that wants/needs the Mercedes.
I'll put it in Cars.com and autotrader.com next week. Maybe Craigslist, too.

Had a good time here. Fairly quiet, fairly polite.
Have to wonder if my compadre, TexasJim is ok....he hasn't posted much either.

Best of luck to you guys. I hope that the XTS is a good replacement for the DTS.
The DTS is the most underrated car in the world today, IMO.

Southern

Superjim
09-26-10, 01:50 AM
Southern,

I am truly sorry to hear about your wife.
I am so sad to hear that.
Darling Wife and I have been married "ALMOST" 41 years...will be 41 this coming Thanksgiving.
I don't really know what I would do without her and I dread the day if that ever happens.

That is sure a pretty 'Bird you have now.. :)
I hope you enjoy it "A LOT"

You are right about the DTS...they really are a great car.
I will be retiring on the 19 of November and plan on a couple more long trips.
I will be looking for another one next spring... mine will have over 100,000 miles on it by then.

By the way... you don't have to leave just because you don't have a Caddy anymore.
I, for one, always enjoy your comments about different subjects.

Please keep in touch...
You can PM me anytime...

Texas Jim

HartfordGuy
09-26-10, 07:06 AM
Wow! So very sorry for your loss.

Glad to hear that you are keeping busy and simplifying things in the driveway. A hardtop convertible is really like two cars in one. And those Thunderbirds are one of the sweetest of them all. I always loved the retro yet modern look to them. And getting cash back? I would have been smiling all the way to the bank. Heck, I'd still be smiling.

As said by Jim, please feel free to stay and chat with us. Your input was always appreciated.

Dave

ewill3rd
09-26-10, 09:34 AM
Sorry to hear about the loss of your wife, and glad to hear that you were able to grieve and move on with your life.
You have to do what makes you happy, only got one life to live.
Enjoy that car, she's a beaut!

c5 rv
09-26-10, 09:38 AM
Sorry to hear about your loss, Southern. In my job, I see the data from the 50% failure rates of marriage and the impact on subsequent generations. 41 years together is a testimony to both of you.

I don't know if I mentioned it here, but my wife was diagnosed with stage 3 breast cancer in the late spring. It's the kind that doesn't form a lump so it didn't show up on her annual mammograms. She's on chemo now and the tumors are shrinking. However, she's in the hospital this weekend due to an infection. Hopefully she's coming home today. We intend to keep fighting this thing.

I like the looks of that T-Bird. I pointed one out to my wife the other day. Too bad it was teal and she didn't like the color. Your maroon bird looks much better.

BTW, I'm proof that they don't treat you too badly here once you sell your Caddy.

Kenwood
09-29-10, 04:50 PM
My very deepest condolences on your loss. I don't know what I'd do without my wife.

Also sorry to see you go, but nice choice of machinery you have there. I do like these and have thought of getting one someday. I agree that the color is just right for these. Red is too bright, black doesn't look right and the blue/teal is too loud.

Do drop by now and then and let us know how you're doing. Heck, maybe in a few years, you'll decide to trade the T-bird on one of the last XLRs.

Godspeed, my friend.