: engine origin?

arefog
09-24-10, 03:05 PM
Hello guys and gals,
I just picked up my 2011 CTS-V sedan and boy am I impressed! Having had several "M" and AMG cars I was expecting the Caddy to be "good for the money", but it is just plain good regardless of price. I have a question about the engine. I am pretty sure I read a road test of a 2009 where it was stated the engine was assembled in Mexico, but the sticker on my car shows the country of origin as the United States. Am I disremembering or did they switch at some point during the production run? Thanks in advance and I look forward to spending many happy hours both in the car and on this forum.

Dick Fogg

Domsz06
09-24-10, 03:19 PM
Hello guys and gals,
I just picked up my 2011 CTS-V sedan and boy am I impressed! Having had several "M" and AMG cars I was expecting the Caddy to be "good for the money", but it is just plain good regardless of price. I have a question about the engine. I am pretty sure I read a road test of a 2009 where it was stated the engine was assembled in Mexico, but the sticker on my car shows the country of origin as the United States. Am I disremembering or did they switch at some point during the production run? Thanks in advance and I look forward to spending many happy hours both in the car and on this forum.

Dick Fogg

engine in mexico, car with engine in USA I'd guess.....

arefog
09-24-10, 03:34 PM
Sorry, I wasn't very clear in my original post. The sticker shows

FINAL ASSEMBLY POINT:
LANSING, MI U.S.A.
COUNTRY OF ORIGIN:
ENGINE: UNITED STATES
TRANSMISSION: UNITED STATES

Domsz06
09-24-10, 03:40 PM
guess your right. Brings up a question.

Per wikipedia, "Engine
The powerplant in the 2009 CTS-V is a supercharged OHV 6.2 liter LSA V-8, based on the LS9 V-8 from the recently released Chevrolet Corvette C6 ZR1. It produces 556 hp (415 kW) and 551 lbft (747 Nm) of torque.[6][7] The choice to use an Overhead valve (OHV)) arrangement (also known as a pushrod engine) is unique in the luxury performance sedan market where competitors typically use dual overhead camshaft (DOHC) engines. The engine is produced in GM's Silao, Mexico engine assembly plant. The LSA engine has a bore and stroke of 4.06 x 3.62 inches (103.25 x 92.0 mm).[6] The engine block is cast aluminum 319-T5 alloy with cast-iron cylinder liners. The crankshaft is forged steel using powdered-metal connecting rods. Pistons are high-silicon Hypereutectic Aluminum alloy replacing the forged aluminum used in the LS9 engine. The compression ratio is 9.1:1. The cylinder heads are based on the Corvette's LS3 head and are cast from type 356-T6 Aluminum alloy. The exhaust manifolds are cast iron. The supercharger is a twin four-lobe roots-type unit displacing 1.9 liters. It is Eaton's Twin Vortices Series (TVS) generating a maximum boost of 9.0 psi (0.6 bar). Intake air is cooled with a water-to-air intercooler built directly into the supercharger unit. The LSA uses iridium-core spark plugs.
"

RippyPartsDept
09-24-10, 04:39 PM
http://archives.media.gm.com/us/powertrain/en/product_services/2010/gmna/Stories/Gen%20IV/Gen%20IV%20Car/10_LSA_n.doc

Full Story on the 2010 LSA - Silao Mexico

found via: http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-cts-v-series-forum-2009/188967-where-lsa-made.html

wfo
09-24-10, 07:08 PM
Mexico! Ugh..

Man...Now I think how my 08 Z06 LS7 powerhouse being handbuilt in Wixom, Michigan and the engine builders name engraved on a name plate mounted to the engine. This just sounds right.

M-1028
09-24-10, 09:07 PM
Mexico! Ugh..

Man...Now I think how my 08 Z06 LS7 powerhouse being handbuilt in Wixom, Michigan and the engine builders name engraved on a name plate mounted to the engine. This just sounds right.

So having a guy named Juan sign your engine isn't as special?? LOL!!

arefog
09-24-10, 11:02 PM
So it seems clear that the 2009/2010 engines were built in Mexico. I'm still curious about the labeling on the 2011. Is GM fudging when they say United States? Did Mexico become a state when I wasn't looking? Could someone with a 2010 look at their window sticker and see where GM says the engine was made? Am I asking too many questions? I also noticed that the CTS badge and the V badge on the trunk switched sides on the 2011. I wonder where they make the badges?

Dick Fogg

CIWS
09-25-10, 09:01 AM
So having a guy named Juan sign your engine isn't as special?? LOL!!

No Sigs on the LSA, it's not hand built by a single assembler.

Domsz06
09-25-10, 09:18 AM
So it seems clear that the 2009/2010 engines were built in Mexico. I'm still curious about the labeling on the 2011. Is GM fudging when they say United States? Did Mexico become a state when I wasn't looking? Could someone with a 2010 look at their window sticker and see where GM says the engine was made? Am I asking too many questions? I also noticed that the CTS badge and the V badge on the trunk switched sides on the 2011. I wonder where they make the badges?

Dick Fogg

they moved the badges in 2010

4DR_ZR1
09-25-10, 09:39 AM
Did Mexico become a state when I wasn't looking?
Si.... Somos hermanos ahora :grouphug:

Hemos instalado un motor LSA en mi '64 Chebby :burn:

M-1028
09-26-10, 12:44 AM
No Sigs on the LSA, it's not hand built by a single assembler.

Yes sir, that was a joke good buddy!!!!!

Looney100
09-27-10, 09:04 AM

Dick Fogg

Parts are likely sourced from the US which allows them to claim majority US content and country of origin. When you consider the total cost of the engine, a small percentage of it would be the labour to assemble it.

RippyPartsDept
09-27-10, 10:33 AM
That makes sense. If the parts originate in the US then get shipped to Mexico for assembly, the engine is still of US origin.

CIWS
09-27-10, 01:43 PM
Yes sir, that was a joke good buddy!!!!!

Haven't used a CB in a few decades I see. http://www.ciws.net/smiles/wink.gif