: Has anyone ever replaced the power steering pump?

M.A.C
09-24-10, 02:18 PM
Today I went to a dealership to find out how much to replace the power steering pump and I was told it would be between $600 to $700. I'm curious if anyone has ever done this job himself and how did you remove the power steering line from the pump. I can't remove it even though I can get a crow foot socket on it.

dkozloski
09-24-10, 03:16 PM
There have been many bad power steering pumps reported. Everybody has trouble removing the pressure line, even experienced Cadillac dealer mechanics.

M.A.C
09-24-10, 07:31 PM
There have been many bad power steering pumps reported. Everybody has trouble removing the pressure line, even experienced Cadillac dealer mechanics.

The pressure line is ridiculous to try to remove. I used a small butane torch to heat it, but apparently was not enough. My next approach would be to use a regular size propane torch for even more heat. But I also don't want to warp the line with too much. So I think I'll have the dealership do it. I have the new pump which I bought at the formerly Cadillac (now Kia) dealership. So the price for install should come down by a couple hundred. I figure labor will cost about $500.

I also priced a transmission fluid change at $195. And the dealer will rent a car for $20.