: For anyone on the fence as far as fixing their Northstar engine, read this.....

zr1mark
09-24-10, 09:53 AM
Everyone's situation is different, but I thought I'd tell you mine.....
When my boy was a Junior in high school we started looking for a car for him. His favorite car has always been the Eldorado, because of the beautiful lines of the body. So I got with a friend of mine who owns several dealerships locally and he found me the '99 Eldorado we now own. The car had approx. 80k miles on it, and when it was traded back to the dealer it couldn't be told from new !! The original owner never drove the car in the Winter, he used a truck for the bad weather months. The undercarriage is still like new.
Once I saw the car I had to have it. Now to all the people who say, "those cars are throw-away cars when the engines go" I tell them, drive this one with the new headgaskets and tell me what you think !! Yes it was expensive, but if you get a good one, and keep it running nice, they're awesome cars.
And the approx. $3k we spent on the job was certainly less than another car and the extra insurance, excise tax, sales tax...etc.
In chatting with my Son who's now a Senior in college, he says the car has never run better. Even when we bought it years ago, it still runs better now.
I'm sure that has to do with changing the O2 sensors while the engine was out etc...Oddly enough he gets thumbs-up from other people driving down the road.
With people junking them, they are a rare site here in Mass. in mint condition.
The Winter road salt really eats them up..
So there you have it, and when I put it away in another month or so for Winter,
I'll look forward to hearing that 300 H.P. fire up again in the Spring !!!:thumbsup:

Thanks for reading,
Mark

98eldo32v
09-26-10, 02:53 AM
Thanks for sharing zr1mark.

I for sure don't see too many for them running around. When I do I always try to figure out what year they are based on the moldings and lamps on the body. I always take note whether they are in good condition, ETC vs ESC or base.

Like you stated the body lines are timeless.

As time passes, they will truly become a site to see.

vincentm
09-27-10, 01:24 AM
I bought a 92 Touring coupe about 6 years ago from a friend who purchased it through a police auction, paid 1700, the frame was in need of repair, and i had went to Cadillac recyclers in Sacramento ( where i also lived at the time), and purchased, a passenger door, front bumper, trunk motor, chrome touring coupe paneling, living with mom's at the time allowed me to put this kind of money then i discovered the head gasket(s) had gone on it, being my father's son i naturally started taking on the job myself, then issues arose, and ended moving to Seattle, and leaving the car with my dad, who then sold it.

I left it because i was moving to downtown, didn't have much money to store it in the parking spot for $500 extra a month. And ive since been obsessed with 92-02 Eldorado's. Finally found my dream one this past July, after new tires, new tuneup, oil change, and coolant flush, i'm faced with the head gasket issue, but i knew of it when i bought the car which is why the dealership didn't want to sell it anyways, but i got it for a good price and am only paying $55 a month for it, because, well i'm obsessed with it.

It's in near mint condition but just needs some TLC done on the engine, which i currently dont have the money for, it's my only transportation so for now it's the bus and rides from co-workers to work. Wife and i have recently separated so yea, when it rains, it pours, hopefully i can get it fixed soon, but i too share the love for these automobiles:

Submariner409
09-27-10, 07:27 AM
Hang in there: that Eldorado is well worth fixing............best of luck.

stoveguyy
09-27-10, 09:47 AM
found a very nice black 98 ETC, 112k miles. needs headgaskets. has many new parts. a/c, alt, fuel pump, rad, wp, guy wants 1200 for it. funny, i see very few rusty caddys in MN where i live. and we love salt.

Submariner409
09-27-10, 10:19 AM
found a very nice black 98 ETC, 112k miles. needs headgaskets. has many new parts. a/c, alt, fuel pump, rad, wp, guy wants 1200 for it. funny, i see very few rusty caddys in MN where i live. and we love salt.

ANY used car over about 8 years old in the North, Northeast, East: Get it up in the air and thoroughly check for rust in any part of the suspension and body mounts. We just had a Cadillac post about the entire rear shock upper mounts falling out..............

vincentm
09-27-10, 01:27 PM
Thanks man, i'd like to get it rebuilt via accurateengines.com, for $3295 they'll pick the engine up, and rebuild it,and ship it back.

http://www.accurateengines.com/remanufactured-engines/cadillac/northstar-46-liter-engine/

98eldo32v
09-27-10, 01:57 PM
VincentM,

Nice pictures!! Mine looks just like yours except for the gold trim center caps. Mine is an ESC.
Nice car.

vincentm
09-27-10, 02:02 PM
VincentM,

Nice pictures!! Mine looks just like yours except for the gold trim center caps. Mine is an ESC.
Nice car.

Yea those pics are before i got the new tires, but the rims are the original Vogue GM stamped factory ones, and are shiny as hell. Here's a tip for chrome rims:

use a 20/30 mix of white vinegar/water and a microfiber cloth to clean them works well for windows too

98eldo32v
09-27-10, 02:19 PM
I will definitely try the 20/30 mix of white vinegar and H20. My rims are clean but I want them to "gleam" some more. Thanks for the tip......

johnny kannapo
09-27-10, 04:02 PM
None of us want to shoot the horse.

Some just have no choice.

Submariner409
09-27-10, 04:20 PM
I will definitely try the 20/30 mix of white vinegar and H20. My rims are clean but I want them to "gleam" some more. Thanks for the tip......

Here's something you're not going to believe, but back in diesel submarines we used to clean stainless steel and the galley grills with a paste of powdered KoolAid. Rinse well........and yes, powdered vinegar and water to clean and disinfect.

98eldo32v
09-27-10, 07:52 PM
KooLAid?! who "stumbles" across cleaning stainless steel with Koolaid! I'm going to have to try that one.....

vincentm
09-27-10, 09:44 PM
KooLAid?! who "stumbles" across cleaning stainless steel with Koolaid! I'm going to have to try that one.....

Smoking Weed, only reason i can come up with as to how someone came up with the kool-aid trick:

Person1: *takes a hit* you know what i think will work on stainless steel man?

Person2: *takes a puff* , What?

Person1: Kool-aid man, but we can't wet it first, it'll rock

Person2: Yea, you're right, let's try it! *giggles*

94CaddyConcours
09-28-10, 02:48 AM
Here's something you're not going to believe, but back in diesel submarines we used to clean stainless steel and the galley grills with a paste of powdered KoolAid. Rinse well........and yes, powdered vinegar and water to clean and disinfect.
Any particular flavor Sub?

Submariner409
09-28-10, 10:00 AM
Any particular flavor Sub?

Flavor ? Damned if I remember - the stuff came in flat brown paper/foil lined packs by the case. One of the favorites was grape: "Purple Durple". The cooks always had their stash for cleaning the grilles. That was before it came already mixed with sugar, so it was basically flavored citric acid powder. Powdered vinegar is basically acetic acid powder........

Pot ?? In the 60's NOBODY in submarines did the stuff - not only was it illegal, stupid, and merited an instant dishonorable discharge, but also your shipmates would beat you to within an inch of your life if they suspected you were endangering the boat. A "blanket party" was something you NEVER wanted to be the subject of. It was a different world then, kids.

vincentm
09-28-10, 05:17 PM
Ok, so if i do the job myself. Whats the best gasket set to purchase? Of course i'll be going with Jake's stud kit.

94CaddyConcours
09-29-10, 02:16 AM
Flavor ? Damned if I remember - the stuff came in flat brown paper/foil lined packs by the case. One of the favorites was grape: "Purple Durple". The cooks always had their stash for cleaning the grilles. That was before it came already mixed with sugar, so it was basically flavored citric acid powder. Powdered vinegar is basically acetic acid powder........

Pot ?? In the 60's NOBODY in submarines did the stuff - not only was it illegal, stupid, and merited an instant dishonorable discharge, but also your shipmates would beat you to within an inch of your life if they suspected you were endangering the boat. A "blanket party" was something you NEVER wanted to be the subject of. It was a different world then, kids.
They're still available in packets but you have to get the unsweetened not the sugar free. Will try it someday on the grill

98eldo32v
09-29-10, 02:31 PM
Ok, so if i do the job myself. Whats the best gasket set to purchase? Of course i'll be going with Jake's stud kit.

From what has been stated on the forums, the OE gasket or Felpro are the ones to use.

I have come across a Cometic multi layered steel gasket (MLS)http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=370357830017&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT.

I can only speak from my experience so far in dealing with this sort of gasket. I had a 2000 dodge intrepid 3.5 that the owner didn't repalce the timing belt on schedule.

The motor jumped time, so of course being that it's an "interference" engine design the heads had to come off to be checked. In dismantling the engine when I got to the part of removing the heads, the heads came off clean?! There was almost no gasket material stuck to the heads or the block?! I was stunned because I had never removed a head with it so clean and then when I removed the head gasket, the block was damn near spotless too??!!

I can say I still went ahead and cleaned the deck surface of the block, but clean up time was next to nothing compared to other gasket materials I've come accross.

The (MLS) gasket is suppossed to be a superior sealing gasket compared to other types. Of course, from the price tag, you get what you pay for.

I'm still comtemplating on using the Cometic gasket based off the experience I've had with the Intrepid.

KHE
10-01-10, 12:17 PM
Accurate Engines does not have a good reputation. There are numerous BBB complaints on them. They advertise grinding the crank journals which GM specifically states not to do in the service manuals.

vincentm
10-01-10, 02:03 PM
Accurate Engines does not have a good reputation. There are numerous BBB complaints on them. They advertise grinding the crank journals which GM specifically states not to do in the service manuals.

Yea i've decided to do it myself.