: Catalytic Converter Discontinued from GM... What to do?

MidNiteBlue
09-24-10, 12:43 AM
Hey guys,

I've been dealing with this issue for over a month now. I have an 05 V6 STS. I've contacted a few online "Certified GM Parts" Dealers to purchase a left side catalytic converter.

My first call was recieved with "We don't have any in stock, call back in about a month" So I continue my search, while I save the money up, with the same story from everyone, even my local dealer. These are special order items, and will take 2-4 weeks + to recieve them from GM.

So, I bite the bullet and make the order, only to have my order cancelled a day later with... "We regret to inform you that your order has been declined because the part has been gm has discontinued the part. Please source your local salvage yards to find your part" or something of that nature. Unfortunately for me, the GENIUS writing me the email is obviously unaware that it is illegal for salvage yards to sell used catalytic converters.

Anyway, I have now had the same story been told from at least 2 different online part stores. Apparently GM has discontinued a part that was in use from approximately 2005 til at least 2007 on the V6 versions of the CTS, STS, and SRX, as this part fits all 3.

Just in case you're wondering, here is the part information directly from the last store.... GMP-12622977: GM Performance CONVERTER ASM-3WAY CTLTC.

I'll probably have to find some way to put an aftermarket converter in, which seems will be even more trouble as there appears to be no direct fits in the aftermarket, just universal, which ineviditably means modification.

Anyway, if anyone has any ideas, I'm open to all suggestions.

BTW... I've been lurking around this forum for a while, and while I haven't really had any major issues with my STS (aside for from a weird misfire issue, but that is a story for another post), I've always found this is the absolute best place for answers you can't get anywhere else.

Thanks in advance for any help you can lend.

MNB

next2pool
09-24-10, 01:24 AM
That is impossible given the regulatory responsibility. GMparts direct shows it in stock. There may be a newer number but they have to be readily available by law. Try your dealer or gmpartsdirect.

skexius
09-24-10, 05:25 AM
MidNiteBlue,

If you did not know, your car also came with the Federal Emission Warranty that covers the PCM and catalytic converter(s) for 8 years or 80,000 miles from the day it was put into service by the original owner. If you have not reached 80,000 miles yet, you should be able to take your car to your local Cadillac dealer and have your converter replaced under this warranty. They have to replace it because of the requirements of the law and this warranty. The parts have to be available from GM. You should not have to pay anything for the repair. Check your mileage and your warranty book in your glovebox and have it with you when you visit the dealer.

Hope this helps!

skexius

MidNiteBlue
09-24-10, 10:16 AM
Thanks for the help guys. I did know about the Federal Emissions Warranty, unfortunately, I really rack up the miles on my car. I have 117,000 on the odometer, and when it's in driving condition, I put 100 miles/day just going to/from work.

Just so you know, the parts places I've tried are HendricksGmParts.com and AutoPartsDealer.com. Both of these sites showed the unit as available on their website, but when I called and talked to them, they had to order the part directly from GM. It was after they talked to GM that I was told the part was discontinued. I will give GMPartsDirect a call and see what they say. I know there has to be a superseding p/n or something. Like you guys said, it is GM's responsibility.

Thanks again for your help.

alexillac
09-25-10, 03:42 PM
This is embarassing. I had a similar experience with my seat heating, which is also officially discontinued - I know this part is of minor importance, but I like to have every feature in good working order. After trying some sources with no result, I adressed the spokesman of cadillac europe (GM is rebuilding the dealer and service network in europe) with my 'I cannot believe that GM is discontinueing parts for a 5 year old Cadillac.... and so on...'.
I had a quick response. They told me that the part 'seems to be discontinued but they will check for a solution..' I'm still waiting but did not give up hope. So maybe you should adress GM management level. I am convinced that management has to be aware of illogical, impossible or illegal moves - even or especially in times of change/turnaround or company restructuring. At least this is my professional attitude as manager.

RippyPartsDept
09-25-10, 03:49 PM
cat converters for an 06 sts v6 are #12622978 and #12622977
i can sell them for $430 and $390 respectively (before core charge and shipping - if you ship back your cores i will refund the core charge)

12622977 is in stock at one of the gm warehouses
12622978 is on backorder (no eta currently)

i have both in stock currently... so offer stands, while supplies last