: New guy. Want to put in an after market stereo.

Mason H
09-23-10, 08:39 PM
Hey guys, i am new here. Recently bought a '75 Coupe Deville with the 500. I am 16. I traded off my Chevy Corvair and some cash for it. I want to put in an after market stereo, BAD. I can just mount it on the bottom off the dash and leave the stock radio in (disconnected), correct? I dont want to mutilate the dash so i was thinking hanging one from the bottom of the dash would be the best bet. I have knowledge it putting in stereos, i have a few friends that have more lol. But i could just leave the original one in and connect a new one in a different spot right?

MudAnt
09-23-10, 09:09 PM
That would be easy to do, all you'd have to do is re-route the wires below the dash.

outsider
09-23-10, 09:24 PM
yeah, you might need to extend the wires from or to the radio...from would be easiest to extend because you gatta put a harness on the radio anyways :)

creeker
09-23-10, 09:50 PM
Hey guys, i am new here. Recently bought a '75 Coupe Deville with the 500. I am 16. I traded off my Chevy Corvair and some cash for it. I want to put in an after market stereo, BAD. I can just mount it on the bottom off the dash and leave the stock radio in (disconnected), correct? I dont want to mutilate the dash so i was thinking hanging one from the bottom of the dash would be the best bet. I have knowledge it putting in stereos, i have a few friends that have more lol. But i could just leave the original one in and connect a new one in a different spot right?

Easy, I did it with my 80 cdv., I'll give you a big tip, if your radio is the same as mine, disconnect the white, clip in plastic speaker wire adapters in the back of the stock radio,( I did mine 5 years ago and cant recall every little thing,) I couldn't get rid of static when I first installed new system and it was because I didn't remove the adapter, also when you remove this adaptor, all the speaker wires are in it, put radio on and cut and mark wires as you cut them, as you cut them you will found out what wires feed what speakers.

csbuckn
09-23-10, 10:00 PM
Did the 75 have a memory wire or do you have to get that from somewhere else?

creeker
09-23-10, 10:31 PM
yeah, you might need to extend the wires from or to the radio...from would be easiest to extend because you gatta put a harness on the radio anyways :)

When I installed my after market unit there was lots of wire length on it, just ran new unit wires up to existing wires in the car,you dont need a harness, I removed stock radio and worked through the opening in the dash.

Mason H
09-24-10, 01:19 AM
Sweet, i didnt think it would be difficult i just wanted to make sure before i went out and bought all my stuff.

It is amazing what the difference is between a 1965 and a 1975 car is lol. My Corvair was a '65. Everything was sooo simple and almost no option compared to the Cadillac. WAY more modern.

creeker
09-24-10, 12:55 PM
Sweet, i didnt think it would be difficult i just wanted to make sure before i went out and bought all my stuff.

It is amazing what the difference is between a 1965 and a 1975 car is lol. My Corvair was a '65. Everything was sooo simple and almost no option compared to the Cadillac. WAY more modern.

I forgot to mention that I think I had to install a short antenna lead from new unit to existing antenna line.

1980coupe
09-27-10, 04:00 AM
or you can place it in the glovebox like I did. Kept the stock look on the dash and it's still powered to display the time on it. Don't cut any wires, get yourself an adapter wiring kit. You can find them at wal-mart or autozone, places like that. show some pics ☺

Mason H
09-28-10, 01:32 AM
I want to keep my glove box as functional as possible lol. My Corvair's glovebox was locked shut and there was no actual box in it. So i use mine a lot. Very convenient.

I will post pics but it will probably be a few weeks because on my way to get a new system, i found out my car doesn take too kindly to the highways. It gets really hot on the highway and interstate but stays at 190 around town all day. I am getting my radiator rotted soon. After i pay my parents back the money i owe. And insurance haha.

1980coupe
09-29-10, 01:35 AM
I want to keep my glove box as functional as possible lol. My Corvair's glovebox was locked shut and there was no actual box in it. So i use mine a lot. Very convenient.

I will post pics but it will probably be a few weeks because on my way to get a new system, i found out my car doesn take too kindly to the highways. It gets really hot on the highway and interstate but stays at 190 around town all day. I am getting my radiator rotted soon. After i pay my parents back the money i owe. And insurance haha.
functional? Mine is still functional, still holds my owner's manual, insurance card, sunglasses and my radio.