: Rear brakes and rims

aluv76
09-23-10, 01:05 PM
Hi, still working on my 76 Coupe de Ville with the mini-tub. The stock rims are the 15's. I want to run an aftermarket 15, but the guy who tubbed the car said he couldn't get the 15 inch rims to clear the brakes. Any suggestions????

Adam
NJ

jayoldschool
09-23-10, 01:37 PM
What brakes are you running?

aluv76
09-23-10, 03:44 PM
right now they are still the stock brakes. so if I go aftermarket, any suggestions?

jayoldschool
09-23-10, 06:58 PM
Stock 15" wheels will clear stock brakes. All aftermarket 15" wheels should clear stock brakes, as well. In fact, 14" wheels will clear, too. The only reason they wouldn't is if the "drop" to the center section was too deep. Time for some work with the tape measure.

aluv76
09-24-10, 08:51 AM
He tried to bolt up his 15" Weld rims and said they won't clear. The car hasn't been lowered, just the rear wheel wells have been cut to clear for a wider, bigger tire. The shop builds a lot of street cars, so this really has me confused. Could it be off-sets of the rims or something? He said I might be able to get away with a 16". I really want the 15" wheels with a beefy tire.

cadillac_al
09-24-10, 09:20 AM
I think it would be a rare 15" wheel that won't fit over the stock brakes. Those Weld wheels must be extra beefy or something. I'll bet if you try almost any other wheel it will fit. If you were going to keep the stock rims you shouldn't have had to tub it. Since it's already tubbed you need wider rims and wider treads to complete the effect.

jayoldschool
09-24-10, 02:48 PM
He tried to bolt up his 15" Weld rims and said they won't clear. The car hasn't been lowered, just the rear wheel wells have been cut to clear for a wider, bigger tire. The shop builds a lot of street cars, s

I think you need to drop by and check things out for yourself ;)

deVille33
09-25-10, 02:02 PM
Perhaps the Welds were offset and wouldn't fit. Why tub a car when the end result won't get you where you want to go? Poor planning.

aluv76
11-29-11, 03:20 PM
Oh, it will get there.