: Will this car blow another head gasket?

Eldorado guy
09-23-10, 11:43 AM
I'm looking at a 1998 Eldorado that just had a head gasket repair. Unfortunately, all the mechanic did is deck the head, clean up the holes, and replace the gasket. So......it will most likely blow another, correct? Car only has 92K miles on it. It's a real shame that these cars can die so young.

Ranger
09-23-10, 11:53 AM
If he did not insert the bolt holes there is a good chance that it will fail again. He didn't know the correct repair procedure and did it wrong.

Submariner409
09-23-10, 11:55 AM
I'm looking at a 1998 Eldorado that just had a head gasket repair. Unfortunately, all the mechanic did is deck the head, clean up the holes, and replace the gasket. So......it will most likely blow another, correct? Car only has 92K miles on it. It's a real shame that these cars can die so young.

If the engine has not absolutely, positively had Timeserts, Norm's Inserts or Jakes studs inserted in all 20 (both banks) bolt holes, WALK !

If only one bank was done, even with inserts, the engine is a time bomb.

Eldorado guy
09-23-10, 03:20 PM
Ok, thanks guys. It's a friend of mine and he was going to trade me two Eldorados for my Camaro. One would be used for parts. I think I'll hold off. At least I know that my Camaro will keep running for a long time.

edb150
09-23-10, 09:58 PM
Its hard to believe the threads dident pull when it was torqued during reassembly? I dont think I have seen a 99 and older with good threads.:hmm:

Eldorado guy
09-23-10, 11:11 PM
Not that this has anything to do with this car, but what if someone had actually bored the bolt holes out larger, making sure it had excellent threads, and installed larger bolts? Not that the bolt size fixes it, but wouldn't that be like a fresh start and allow another 100K miles until it happens again? I would never do that, I would go ahead and time sert it, but I'm just curious in case I run into a car where that was the case.

Ranger
09-24-10, 01:14 AM
That might work, but it's doubtful you'll find one like that.

Submariner409
09-24-10, 07:57 AM
The killer for that avenue is the need to also bore all 20 cylinder head bolt holes to the new oversized bolts - if there is/was enough "meat" to drill through........

tateos
09-24-10, 01:25 PM
Not that this has anything to do with this car, but what if someone had actually bored the bolt holes out larger, making sure it had excellent threads, and installed larger bolts? Not that the bolt size fixes it, but wouldn't that be like a fresh start and allow another 100K miles until it happens again? I would never do that, I would go ahead and time sert it, but I'm just curious in case I run into a car where that was the case.

That's essentially what Jake's stud kit does:

http://www.northstarperformance.com/main.php

johnny kannapo
09-27-10, 04:17 PM
2 Eldorados in need of major repair are realistically worth about $300 each. 300+300=$600.

They are immobile objects.

Whats is the Camaro realistically worth?