: CEL rears it's ugly face again

caddyfat2
09-22-10, 10:52 PM
Going home from work this evening my check engine light came on yet again. I called onstar only to hear them say " cat convertor low efficentcy bank 2". I am really getting tired of this $67K car that has been giving me problems every since I purchased it 2.5 years ago. Even thou I have an extended warranty it still has not been reliable. I think this might be my last Caddy.:bomb:

turnne
09-23-10, 08:15 AM
I am really getting tired of this $67K :

First off..I am not sure the sticker on these can used for any reference other than the paper it was printed on...due to the heavy discounts from sticker and run away low resale value
You can either be on the good or the bad side of those numbers

But anyway......its a good thing you have warranty
At least you are not pouring money into a rapidly depreciating item

Go toy a good dealer that you trust..they will throw enough parts at it and finally get it right

Thats what I say..as I know my local dealer has gone that route by putting parts on the thing until they get the one that the culprit

Doesn't matter to me as long as its warranty work

Warren

caddyfat2
09-23-10, 08:46 AM
warren, it's just that I'm tired of all these problems with this car. I am the second owner of this car that I purchased with 42k miles on it and one month after a bought it troubles started rolling in and i mean rolling in. these are the things that I have had done since I owned this car. replace broken start button,transmission reflash, replace drivers seat belt retractor,replace center instrument panel center trim, replaced steering gear rack, replacec side impact module inflator front left,replaced instrument panel ashtray,replaced headlamp composite left side,replaced headlamp composite right side, replaced battery, replaced the alternator,replaced the clockspring and now this crap. I'm over it but when the warranty runs out this Caddy will hit the door also. This experience with Cadillac has soured me with these products. I 63k miles on my STS now and it's covered to 90k so thats when it will go.

ps
by the way here are the things that this car went thru before i purchsed it ( and this all happened with less than 10k miles)((shameful)):
right front door lock replacement,replaced radiator,battery replaced 2 times,tires replaced and replaced control assembly floor shift.

M.A.C
09-23-10, 10:55 AM
Going home from work this evening my check engine light came on yet again. I called onstar only to hear them say " cat convertor low efficentcy bank 2". I am really getting tired of this $67K car that has been giving me problems every since I purchased it 2.5 years ago. Even thou I have an extended warranty it still has not been reliable. I think this might be my last Caddy.:bomb:
The catalytic converter codes happen with many model cars--mostly it seems P0420 (Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold (Bank 1). It's been said that this code deals strictly with an inefficient converter and not an oxygen sensor. However, some have claimed they were able to eliminate P0420 by replacing the oxygen sensor.

I'm curious as to whether your STS is idling rough?

I also have the P0420 code and my STS is idling rough. Also, shifting is erratic. Right now I am running a bottle of Cataclean through my tank in hopes that it will do what is claimed, which is to clean catalytic converters. I know it's a long-shot and will be criticized as a waste of money. However, the alternative is to guess that there is a defective oxygen sensor that is not setting a trouble code or replace one or both converters.

caddyfat2
09-23-10, 12:38 PM
My car is not running ruff nor idling strange in any way. The OnStar adviser ask me if I had any performance problems since the CEL came on and I said NO which is the truth. I see nor feel no difference in my cars operation and performance.I'll just let the dealer figure it out again.

Angus Young
09-23-10, 07:35 PM
Good Luck with the cleaning, I have both P420 and P430 I run top tier fuel thru it reset the codes swapped my sensors then someone on here says check your intake bolts?!?! naaa couldnt .... naaaaa
every damn one of were loose some actually loose to the point of just sitting in the hole, well after tightning them back down still have codes I get 19 20 on the hiway dealer wants $1900.00 to replace both of em and no I am not under the 80k warrenty, my lincoln Mark 8 356,000 miles same cats no codez, go figure

caddyfat2
09-26-10, 07:43 AM
I went out to the store this morning and my CEL went out so I called OnStar for another dianostic and they reported back that there were no codes and no stored codes so I quess I will cancel my dealers appointment and see what happens but that sure was strange.

M.A.C
09-28-10, 09:23 AM
I just want to let everyone know that it looks like Cataclean (http://www.amazon.com/Cataclean-Engine-Catalytic-Converter-Treatment/dp/B002BVXM92)worked. This morning I cleared the P0420 code (Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold (Bank 1)) with my OBDII software and then drove to work. Sure enough the check engine light did not go on. I also notice there is a marked improvement in power and responsiveness and yesterday my gas mileage ticked up one-tenth. I'm even willing to run another bottle through just to make sure because the improvement in acceleration is so noticeable that I'm thinking another bottle may even help further. The real test is over long term--If the check engine light stays off then I will consider the Cataclean treatment a success.

caddyfat2
09-28-10, 12:36 PM
Where did you buy it?

M.A.C
09-28-10, 01:47 PM
Where did you buy it?
I bought it at Amazon. In fact, my link will get you to where you want to go if you're interested in buying it. Just click on "Cataclean" above. So far, the CEL still remains off after a drive to lunch and back.

M.A.C
09-28-10, 09:01 PM
UPDATE: CEL came back on. But my STS is still driving much better. My next approach is to replace right side oxygen sensor after catalytic converter.

caddyfat2
09-29-10, 07:49 AM
UPDATE: CEL came back on again after being out for 2 days and has the same code back in which was " Catalytic converter low effientcy, bank 2". Well now I have to call the dealer and make another appointment.

M.A.C
09-29-10, 09:23 AM
UPDATE: I reset the CEL and this morning the light stayed off. I think I'm going to replace the right side oxygen sensor after the converter.