: Cadillac HPDE @ Monticello Motor Club

Junior1
09-22-10, 02:21 AM
So after I went to the Cadillac Lab last month @ Monticello Motor Club, I got an email about the HPDE Program that they offer there. They had 3 dates in 2010 available and a waiting list for 2011. I managed to free up some time and went on 9/20

After I sent in my registration, I got a personal phone call from the Manager, Jay Brangan giving me all the details for the day (what to wear, where to go, etc.). I got my confirm email and a few days later I got another call. This time it was to see what I'd prefer to drive, An automatic V or 6 speed V. He said their events are small to ensure personalized attention and we will each get our own V to drive... (BTW, the HPDE program there has brand new CTS-V's and they are taking delivery of their V Coupes in the next coming weeks.)

First off, let me say I don't think I've gone to any other event and had this much track time ever...The total amount in the class was 4, me and 3 others. They said their classroom is the track and they weren't kidding.

The 2 instructors for the program are Sam Schultz, who is Track Director and runs in the Grand-Am Continental Tire Sports Car Series and Jason Holehouse, who is Chief Instructor and runs in the NASCAR K&N Pro Series. These 2 guys are down to earth, full of knowledge and eager to help.

I really like the facility, everything is top notch. The staff was great; the place is brand new and spotless. They are definitely onto something up there. They've got classrooms, a lounge, bar, pro shop. They even have gourmet lunch that gets made to order while you're out running laps...

The price for the day was around $1,000 with my V discount and worth it IMO. You're basically out running around the track in a brand new V for 6 out of 8 hours without worrying about paying for gas, tires or wrecking your own V. And the small class size with one-on-one attention can't be beat.

If anyone’s interested check them out at www.monticellomotorclub.com/hpde or call Jay @ 877.578.7223
I'd definitely recommend it to anyone looking to get some seat time in the new V's, sharpen up on some driving skills or just drive on a great track...

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_f2H-oAOJ_ss/TJmcmbGHqlI/AAAAAAAAAaU/8JTHAgdQlQg/s800/MMC%20V.jpg

Z06ified
09-22-10, 10:04 AM
Very cool. I was just at Monticello Motor Club on 9/17 with my own V, running with NASA/PDA who rented the track for the day. It was my third time running that track, and I think it's one of my favorites. Unfortunately, the club has decided to cut back the number of days the track is available for other clubs / non-members, so NASA and a few other clubs will not be running Monticello in 2011. :(

It sounds like the Cadillac sponsored HPDE's will still be available though. The price is reasonable, considering I paid about $3,200 for a 3-day Gran Prix course at Bondurant School of High Performance Driving in Phoenix last November, and they use Corvette Z51s.

Did you notice the gold colored front calipers on the CTS-V you took a picture of? Those cars have been around that track quite a few times (they've been there almost 2 years now). They look like they've held up well!

I agree though, Monticello is a first class operation. I wish I had a spare $125k, and lived closer, to join as a member.

gnxs
09-22-10, 10:18 AM
I was at Monticello and like you got the follow-up invite. When I looked at the agenda, it looked like there wouldn't be nearly that much time on the track....maybe 45-75 minutes.

Were you really behind the wheel for 6 hours in one day? Are you including the hot laps (as a passenger) with an instructor?

If I knew I'd get that much seat time, I'd have definitely went.

Junior1
09-22-10, 01:41 PM
Very cool. I was just at Monticello Motor Club on 9/17 with my own V, running with NASA/PDA who rented the track for the day. It was my third time running that track, and I think it's one of my favorites. Unfortunately, the club has decided to cut back the number of days the track is available for other clubs / non-members, so NASA and a few other clubs will not be running Monticello in 2011. :(

It sounds like the Cadillac sponsored HPDE's will still be available though. The price is reasonable, considering I paid about $3,200 for a 3-day Gran Prix course at Bondurant School of High Performance Driving in Phoenix last November, and they use Corvette Z51s.

Did you notice the gold colored front calipers on the CTS-V you took a picture of? Those cars have been around that track quite a few times (they've been there almost 2 years now). They look like they've held up well!

I agree though, Monticello is a first class operation. I wish I had a spare $125k, and lived closer, to join as a member.

I was looking to get up there on 9/17 with NASA but had a hard time clearing my schedule for both days.

I have a couple of pics of the golden calipers and yes, I must say for cars that have been there for almost 2 years, they were perfect. I swapped cars between stick and auto a couple of times, plus we each got a chance to run in the camera car for some video footage too.

All of the cars were in great condition, very clean, brakes were impeccable with fresh rubber all around. Each one was very tight, not a rattle or anything.

BTW all of those cars are running the rear diff coolers. I tried to get a pic of them, but it didn't come out.

I gotta say, for the abuse these cars must take, the Gen 2 V holds up very well...

The memberships have different levels too, naturally the gold level costs 125k, but they also have the silver for 50k and the bronze that I am considering for 25k. My biggest issue is not having the time to use up all the track days...

SleepTight
09-22-10, 01:52 PM
So after I went to the Cadillac Lab last month @ Monticello Motor Club, I got an email about the HPDE Program that they offer there. They had 3 dates in 2010 available and a waiting list for 2011. I managed to free up some time and went on 9/20

After I sent in my registration, I got a personal phone call from the Manager, Jay Brangan giving me all the details for the day (what to wear, where to go, etc.). I got my confirm email and a few days later I got another call. This time it was to see what I'd prefer to drive, An automatic V or 6 speed V. He said their events are small to ensure personalized attention and we will each get our own V to drive... (BTW, the HPDE program there has brand new CTS-V's and they are taking delivery of their V Coupes in the next coming weeks.)

First off, let me say I don't think I've gone to any other event and had this much track time ever...The total amount in the class was 4, me and 3 others. They said their classroom is the track and they weren't kidding.

The 2 instructors for the program are Sam Schultz, who is Track Director and runs in the Grand-Am Continental Tire Sports Car Series and Jason Holehouse, who is Chief Instructor and runs in the NASCAR K&N Pro Series. These 2 guys are down to earth, full of knowledge and eager to help.

I really like the facility, everything is top notch. The staff was great; the place is brand new and spotless. They are definitely onto something up there. They've got classrooms, a lounge, bar, pro shop. They even have gourmet lunch that gets made to order while you're out running laps...

The price for the day was around $1,000 with my V discount and worth it IMO. You're basically out running around the track in a brand new V for 6 out of 8 hours without worrying about paying for gas, tires or wrecking your own V. And the small class size with one-on-one attention can't be beat.

If anyone’s interested check them out at www.monticellomotorclub.com/hpde or call Jay @ 877.578.7223
I'd definitely recommend it to anyone looking to get some seat time in the new V's, sharpen up on some driving skills or just drive on a great track...

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_f2H-oAOJ_ss/TJmcmbGHqlI/AAAAAAAAAaU/8JTHAgdQlQg/s800/MMC%20V.jpg

Thanks for the review. After my initial contact by MMC, I thought the HPDE sounded like a ripoff. Now I'm reconsidering.

Junior1
09-22-10, 01:59 PM
I was at Monticello and like you got the follow-up invite. When I looked at the agenda, it looked like there wouldn't be nearly that much time on the track....maybe 45-75 minutes.

Were you really behind the wheel for 6 hours in one day? Are you including the hot laps (as a passenger) with an instructor?

If I knew I'd get that much seat time, I'd have definitely went.

Well on the actual schedule sheet we had, it showed track sessions from 10:30-12:00, 1:00-4:30 and then hot laps with instructors 4:30-5:00.

That works out to 5 hours of drive time plus 1/2 hour of ride along.

However, since the instructors were pretty comfortable with our skills we were able to forgo the ride along session and had a timed competition instead.

We each had 1 warm up lap, 2 timed laps, and 1 cool down lap to see who produced the fastest lap time. I won the competition, but couldn't convince anyone to make a free membership part of the prize...

After that we went out again to run the rest of the day on the track. It had to be a little after 5pm by the time we came in and got the results to the competition and said our goodbyes.

So I'd say I was definately on the track for a good 5 1/2 hours. The cars were topped off on fuel when we started the day and they had to refill them for us by mid-afternoon.

I can easily say I lost count of how many laps I had run by the end of the day...

gnxs
09-22-10, 02:06 PM
Well on the actual schedule sheet we had, it showed track sessions from 10:30-12:00, 1:00-4:30 and then hot laps with instructors 4:30-5:00.

That works out to 5 hours of drive time plus 1/2 hour of ride along.

However, since the instructors were pretty comfortable with our skills we were able to forgo the ride along session and had a timed competition instead.

We each had 1 warm up lap, 2 timed laps, and 1 cool down lap to see who produced the fastest lap time. I won the competition, but couldn't convince anyone to make a free membership part of the prize...

After that we went out again to run the rest of the day on the track. It had to be a little after 5pm by the time we came in

So I'd say I was definately on the track for a good 5 1/2 hours+. The cars were topped off on fuel when we started the day and they had to refill them for us by mid-afternoon.

I can easily say I lost count of how many laps I had run by the end of the day...
Makes me sad I didn't register. The price was certainly right. Thanks for the info. Given another opportunity, I'll definitely partake.

Junior1
09-22-10, 02:13 PM
Thanks for the review. After my initial contact by MMC, I thought the HPDE sounded like a ripoff. Now I'm reconsidering.

So far there's 9/30 and 10/12 left for this season, I would definately go back so let me know if you decide.

They are also putting together a schedule for an approved 2 day racing school program down the road.

I'm looking to go there rather than Lime Rock to get my Regional License.

Z06ified
09-22-10, 02:27 PM
I must say for cars that have been there for almost 2 years, they were perfect. All of the cars were in great condition, very clean, brakes were impeccable with fresh rubber all around. Each one was very tight, not a rattle or anything.

I gotta say, for the abuse these cars must take, the Gen 2 V holds up very well...

Yes, that is great to hear/see. That track is certainly a strong abuse test (although it is in perfect condition).

BTW all of those cars are running the rear diff coolers. I tried to get a pic of them, but it didn't come out.

Yeah, I know - I heard the fan running on a red one that the club owned that went by in the parking lot between runs. I looked at it from the back, and I could see the black metal grille covering the diff cooler, sitting between the exhaust pipes in the middle. I looked up which one it was, and it was the GM diff cooler, the same one they put on the export CTS-V's from the factory. I want/need one - I was getting the diff hot warning every session at Monticello, after 15-20 minutes of hot lapping. $2,200 though for the kit... I wonder how much a new diff costs? Probably not much more ;)

Junior1
09-22-10, 02:32 PM
Pictures of the golden calipers...

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_f2H-oAOJ_ss/TJpLJQ__hnI/AAAAAAAAAas/7eNRAwsp8MY/IMG00263.jpg
http://lh3.ggpht.com/_f2H-oAOJ_ss/TJpLJpWOSaI/AAAAAAAAAaw/4_X3dZ-XWTw/s800/IMG00264.jpg
http://lh4.ggpht.com/_f2H-oAOJ_ss/TJpLJ2lqGRI/AAAAAAAAAa0/C2pAU8IQ3Lk/s800/IMG00265.jpg

Z06ified
09-22-10, 02:38 PM
Wow, those are really gold! They look nice. Mine were getting just a hint of gold by the end of the day, but not like that! Need to do more track sessions - LOL.

Junior1
09-22-10, 06:03 PM
I got a follow up email from MMC today and they are in fact scheduling a 2 day Driving School for late October and it also counts as credit towards a Comp. License.

Chances are I will be going, as long as my schedule is free so if anyone wants to go the class is limited to 6 peeps.

I also inquired about the HPDE program and for those interested they still have openings for the 9/30 and 10/12 dates. Just follow the contact info in my first post.

I also mentioned to them about becoming a member on the forums here. I think it would be great for a Cadillac affiliated track & school to be involved and keep us posted about the different events going on...

baabootoo
09-23-10, 03:20 PM
Yeah, that gold paint looks nice there. Nice writeup.

handfore
10-22-10, 11:53 PM
The golden caliper is looking golden. I'm thinking about golden rims, will that be a weird idea?

baabootoo
10-23-10, 12:15 AM
Well, if you like the look, but I'm not into gold.