: 1991 Lexus LS 400 100k what you do you guys

ThumperPup
09-21-10, 05:35 PM
Ok just wondering what everyone things about lexus i know i had a 96 corola and a 98 es and i didnt like them but i remember hearing the LS models where better
this is a 1991 LS 400 that i found its got 100k so thats like 5k a year
and price is 5999
it runs great and body is great

whats everyoens apinion on this
you think the price is good and is this a good car to pick up ?

Stingroo
09-21-10, 05:39 PM
That seems high to me, but I don't know if the mystical-magical-Lexus-wool affects the price any (or at least, THAT much).

ben.gators
09-21-10, 05:48 PM
My friend had an Avalon XL 97 and that car refuses to die.... And I guess Lexus ES shares a lot with Avalon and somehow Lexus LS too. No doubt that is a good car, but it is overpriced! or better to say ultra overpriced! 6K$ for a 20 year old car does not make any sense...

Jesda
09-21-10, 05:50 PM
You need to know if the timing belt and water pump were done, otherwise avoid or set the money aside to do it.

Its a $4k car to me, and a good one if its been cared for.

ben.gators
09-21-10, 05:57 PM
You need to know if the timing belt and water pump were done, otherwise avoid or set the money aside to do it.
^^^^
That is a good point, and I even go one step further! if timing belt is not replaced on time (ask for bills) just pass the car, since it might leave permanent defects in engine.

ThumperPup
09-21-10, 05:57 PM
not sure if its been doen its at a dealerhsip on the west side
waht they told me is i could get it put 2500 down on it and then have 15 months to pay them back and i will only be spending like 450 dollars in intrest
also they said for an extra 150 dollars i could get a 3 month 4500 miles warranty on the car he said he had it checked out and the only thing it needed was breaks wich he did

He also has a 2003 devilel base with 70k on it hes selling for 8999 but thats going to be a bit more then i want to spend

and then there is a 2004 deville base with 115k on it for 7999

and there is a dealer down the street from him with a 2002 deville base with 95 k on it after intrest and finacing it will cost me 6495 plus taxes and that would be with payents for 13 months
but the thing is so base it doesnt even have heat seats
and im not to fond of that one

i wana get it and i would use it as a second car but i think i have decide im going to get this and im also going to save up and get the caddy fixed at some point and have 2 cars
but not sure if this 91 lexus is a good one to get or not

the only other 90 and 91 LS 400 with in 200 miles of me that are cheap are like 1900 and 2900 but they have iehtere 180k on them or they have nothing but rust lol

ted tcb
09-21-10, 06:08 PM
1990 to 1994 LS400's are non interference engines.
If the belt brakes, it just means a tow, no engine damage

These cars go through lots of front end components ... take it out on a bumpy road and check for clunks.
Also, power steering pumps tended to leak over alternators ... take a good look.

Could be a decent car for $4k .... bulletproof drivetrain, but everything else is subject to breakdown
just like any other 20yr old car.

If you simply require dependable transportation, could you not possibly find a basic economy car built in this
century for under $5k?

ThumperPup
09-21-10, 06:16 PM
all the cars im finding i just cant stand i dont know why i guess im so picky
and i saw this and liked it
and evyerone around here wants way over priced any good running impalas like 2001 and 2002s they want like 7999 for them wich i think is over priced mote carlos they want like 7k for
and im not going to pay that much for one the ones that are around 3k all needs exsuast work sound like shit and feel like shit when drivng them

Playdrv4me
09-21-10, 06:38 PM
We had a 1991 LS400 a couple of years ago, purchased with 109k miles. The car was flawless and I mean so clean you could EAT off the damn engine bay. Back THEN (like 2008) we paid 5k and the timing belt service had already been done, plus all the regular maintenance. It was a beautiful car and they will run FOREVER with proper maintenance and care. 5995 IS high, but I understand the place does buy here/pay here financing or special bank financing. Usually when that is the case they KNOW you can't just go to a credit union and get a loan and you will just have to pay more for the car. Still, I would see if I could get them down to 5500 IF the timing belt has been done. If it has not been done I would just pass altogether as I know they won't pay to do it (about 1200.00 at a dealership, 5-700 independent).

You will know if the t-belt was done at a Lexus dealer because the intake manifold will have a sticker on it that says "TIMING BELT REPLACEMENT MAINTENANCE RECORD xx year xx miles".

ThumperPup
09-21-10, 06:40 PM
im not sure if they even know if the timing belt has been doen on it

Playdrv4me
09-21-10, 06:45 PM
im not sure if they even know if the timing belt has been doen on it

Look for this near the intake manifold...

http://www.samarins.com/check/timing_belt_sticker.jpg

ThumperPup
09-21-10, 07:05 PM
ah ok cool thanks i looked under the hood and i saw a sticker like that but not for that it was for the AC it said someting about it was retrofited i think or something like that i think the sticker was on the passanger side strut area under the hood so does that mean it was doen with the new ac stuff that was doen in 2007 it said but not sure i saw anyting about a timing belt

ThumperPup
09-21-10, 07:15 PM
i also asked him about a extended warranty he says that he could sell me one for 150 for 3 month 4500 miles and then for about 2000 i could get a 3 year unlimited mile warranty but he said with these cars he doenst think i should even wast my money on a warranty maybe the 3 cheap one for 150 but says unless i waqs going to buy some othe car he hs he wouldnt even try to sell me a warranty i also started it up and it sounds perfect runs and idles smooth starts right up no noise or anyting

i think i will call him back in a few days and come up with some story and say my dad is giving me the money for the down payment and says only if i get it for 5500
but fist im also going to look for the sticker for the timing belt and if it hasnt been doen then ill call around and just find out for myself how much those things really will cost me so i can just put some money aside and all but i think this is a good nice car
it also has some sort of a radar detector almost looked like it was built in not even sure the thing works or not lol
but it was near the kick panel under the dash anyone ever heard of this being in a lexus it doenst look like it was put in there aftermarket i dont think its not a portable unit or anyitng

Jesda
09-21-10, 07:34 PM
I wouldnt bother with a warranty either. If the timing belt breaks under warranty, the warranty company will blame you for not following the maintenance schedule and stick you with the repair bill.

Aron9000
09-21-10, 07:48 PM
If you are looking for a "big" Toyota, go look at a 2000 or 2001 Avalon. Those have more space than that LS400, nice seats, quiet, real nice ride like the lexus. Granted it won't drive as nice since its nose heavy FWD, not as quick, and the interior isn't nearly as nice, but it is a lot newer and less complex.

Basically you get 80% of the LS400 feel for about the same price, its 10 years newer, and there are a lot fewer things to break on it. Once again make sure the timing belt has been changed, its every 90k I think. Also check to make sure the selector for the defog, dash vents, floor vents is working correctly. That went out on our family's Avalon, have to take out the whole dash to replace. We just left it alone, and deal with the fact that it won't blow heat out of the floor vents.

ThumperPup
09-21-10, 08:20 PM
ill know more in a week he said he would hold it 1 week thats it and im still waiting on a big 2000 dollar check to come
and then 2000 that i have thats 4 maybe if i just take him 5000 in cash he will just sell it for that perhaps

i was also looking there are some decent LS 400 92-94 on auto trader but they are all like 350 or 500 miles away wich suck :(

ThumperPup
09-21-10, 08:24 PM
damm just found this one on ebay wonder if i can get my old man to loan me some cash

Playdrv4me
09-21-10, 09:07 PM
If you end up in an LS400 I will be jealous.

hueterm
09-21-10, 09:09 PM
Aren't you in an LS430?

Playdrv4me
09-21-10, 09:24 PM
Aren't you in an LS430?

Yea but the LS400 is actually a better car overall.

hueterm
09-21-10, 09:44 PM
I'd hit a '98-00...w/sick low miles...

ted tcb
09-21-10, 10:21 PM
I'd hit a '98-00...w/sick low miles...

Don't say that ... I sold my 2000 LS400 with 65k on her back in 2008.

I'm still pissed at that bonehead move ... I think
Playdrv4me is pissed at me as well:)

ThumperPup
09-21-10, 10:31 PM
i can pick up a 1999 LS model not sure 400 or 430 from My nabors bugdet car lot for like 7999 it belongs to his partner so no way he will work on price it has 95k on it and its a base model but most likly will start to fall apart the second i drive away that shit always happens with his cars

i saw a 2002 LS 430 today for 11999 with 120k on it but id need like 6k to put down on that car

im going to shoot and aim for the 91 and see if i can talk him down atleast i know with only 100k on it id be safe for another 5 years the way i drive
he did say that he had it in and the only thing it needed was breaks front and back and he had them all replaced

the one thing i didnt like when i got inside of it was i dont think it has a trip info or computer like yeah it takes down miles and all but i couldnt find away to see if it says how many gallons used per mile how many gallons left to empy was this not a option in 91? i would have thout they would have had optuions like that or did i just not find the right button to push ?

and i also was looking around today i found a double din dash kit for the 91 model so that i can get a GPS ones i save up a little more money untill then ill jus thave to use my Iphone GPS wich freezes up all the time lol

do yall think that i could atleast push 21 or 22 mpg on the highway on Cruise control in this thing ?
or am i gong to be stuck around 19 or 20 ?

thats the other thing that worries me i was happy to get out of my lincolns that only ran on premium now the LS if i get it has to have preimoum fuel at 3 dolalrs a gallon and less MPG
so atleast hoping that on long road trips ill be able to pull off like 22mpg on cruise control set around 60 to 65 MPG think ill get that ?

ted tcb
09-21-10, 10:55 PM
The LS400 ran until 2001, when the larger 4.3 engine and new body became the 2001 LS430.

In 1998, the LS400 received a hp bump with variale valve timing, and a 5th gear.
You also got a trip computer, and optional self levelling HID's, wood wheel, etc.
Much nicer car than the previous generation LS400.
I routinely saw over 30mpg on my 5spd auto LS400.

The 1991 should give you at least mid twenties.
Sadly, though, no trip computer.

ThumperPup
09-21-10, 10:58 PM
ah darn well that will suck but oh well
im looking around also it looks as if the 91 did not have a psanger airbag when did they add that do you know

Playdrv4me
09-21-10, 11:01 PM
I think
Playdrv4me is pissed at me as well:)

:thepan:

ted tcb
09-21-10, 11:32 PM
Passenger airbag came in 1993.
Have your passengers sit with a big fluffy pillow on their laps:)

I~LUV~Caddys8792
09-21-10, 11:37 PM
I always respected the Lexus LS, the 98-00 LS400 was their best one ever.

Jesda
09-21-10, 11:45 PM
Passengers are like extras in a movie. They exist only to be hit by meteors or run over by tanks.

ThumperPup
09-22-10, 12:58 AM
Passenger airbag came in 1993.
Have your passengers sit with a big fluffy pillow on their laps:)

LOL naw that just makes it easier to customize somthing what i have no idea but to put someting where the airbag would normaly be lol

ThumperPup
09-22-10, 01:01 AM
Passengers are like extras in a movie. They exist only to be hit by meteors or run over by tanks.

Hey now thats funny

thanks guys for the loughs

i think that yup im going to go for this unless someone drops like 3k they dont need in my pocket then i can pick up a 99 preaty cheap lol

i been hunting down on criaglist adds and saw a 95 LS400 i think it was 95 the guy said it has a new timing belt watter pump and a few other things but says it was the person he bought the car form that did the shop so othe rthen looking and seeing parts look new no way to tell if they where really doen and hes selling it really cheap like 2400 and its got 179k i think

its in Chicago maybe i can persuad Ranger to take a drive and check it out see if its any good and let me know if he things its worth my time to come and pick it up lol

hey ranger if your reading this and you do this ill buy the drinks all nite long when im down there

Jesda
09-22-10, 01:07 AM
180k is a lot, even on a Lexus. Make sure there are real receipts proving that the work was done. Dont rely on his word.

ThumperPup
09-22-10, 01:44 AM
yeah thats what i was thinkng also

i just found a 95 LS 400 her ein Ohio for 2999 but its got 258k on it so im not sure if i would want to do that
i could acutaly pick that up for that price i bet i could walk in and say i got 3000 thats all after taxes and any fees no more then 3000 and they would proably let me have it but not sure if its worth it with 258k on it :(

ThumperPup
09-22-10, 09:29 AM
I just wanted to see exactly how much it would cost me if i ever needed to do the timming belt chaint or waht ever and water pump so i called the lexus dealer neear me and they said labor plus parts after all said and doen id be at 959.89 after taxes
is that cheap for this job ?

im really seriously thinking about this car i think you all knew that lol

but i still don't know if its ever been doen before

also with these cars how often do i need to do oil changes and
do they burn up oil like the N's am i going to be going threw a Qt every 1400 miles or are they preaty easy on oil ?

Night Wolf
09-22-10, 11:18 AM
Why not just find a 90s GM 3800 car for like $2k with ~120k miles and be done with it? No expensive timing belts etc....

drewsdeville
09-22-10, 11:26 AM
Why not just find a 90s GM 3800 car for like $2k with ~120k miles and be done with it? No expensive timing belts etc....

No timing belts but nylon timing chain tensioners that tend to break or wear through by 130k.

At least, this was the case on the earlier ones. Not sure if/when it was remedied. I've replaced 4 of them ranging from late 80's to early '90's. It's a more labor intensive job than most timing belts that I've done.

It's not really a 3800 thing, it happens to many engines; a lot use nylon tensioners. However, it's just an example of how your never really repair free. There's always SOMETHING and it's always a risk.

It doesn't matter if it's a 3800, Ford 4.6, Chev 350 or a 3 cylinder Metro, be prepared to make occasional repairs buying something with 100k or more. You aren't gonna find a $2k 100k+ car that never needs work so don't worry about it until a situation presents itself. If you think you CAN find that, you will be disappointed with anything you get.

If you make your decisions based on fear of what MIGHT happen, you'll never be happy when you are white-knuckling it all the time.

ThumperPup
09-22-10, 11:57 AM

i hate the body styles of the 90s GMs and even when i do find one that imight like they run like shit and im refuse to buy a car that i have to put money into to run

ThumperPup
09-22-10, 12:00 PM
No timing belts but nylon timing chain tensioners that tend to break or wear through by 130k.

At least, this was the case on the earlier ones. Not sure if/when it was remedied. I've replaced 4 of them ranging from late 80's to early '90's. It's a more labor intensive job than most timing belts that I've done.

It's not really a 3800 thing, it happens to many engines; a lot use nylon tensioners. However, it's just an example of how your never really repair free. There's always SOMETHING and it's always a risk.

It doesn't matter if it's a 3800, Ford 4.6, Chev 350 or a 3 cylinder Metro, be prepared to make occasional repairs buying something with 100k or more. You aren't gonna find a $2k 100k+ car that never needs work so don't worry about it until a situation presents itself. If you think you CAN find that, you will be disappointed with anything you get.

If you make your decisions based on fear of what MIGHT happen, you'll never be happy when you are white-knuckling it all the time.

well what it is truly down to with me is i like this car and i wana get it
or find one i do lik eithere way its going to be a buy hear pay hear deal unless soemthing nice comes up on CL i keep looking

or im just going to dump it right intot he caddy again and fix it right away

Jesda
09-22-10, 12:20 PM
Buy it, but don't waste your time on something with a quarter million miles.

Stingroo
09-22-10, 03:18 PM
No offense meant here or anything, but to me it seems like you're waiting for some car to come crashing from the sky and land in your lap and be flawless.

You may not like the body styling or certain interior elements of some cars, but everyone has given you countless suggestions, and you keep wording your way around them and finding something to do with your Cadillac, and now, this Lexus. If it makes you happy, go on and buy it, but don't say we didn't try.

Me? I'd give the Lexus a pass and spend the 3k you have on a 3800 car because of the reliability and great gas mileage, or a Crown Vic interceptor with as low mileage as you can find if you MUST have a full size car (I see them here in FL for 3k with 100-130k on them quite often) and be done with it. Like drew says, every car has its problems, and every car WILL have problems at some point, but going with the Lexus without knowing about the timing belt, or picking a 250k mile Lexus as an alternative is just ASKING for it. Same with driving your Cadillac with a patch in the block or some other quick-fix repair. Do it once, do it right. Never do it again.

That's just my $.02.

ThumperPup
09-22-10, 04:48 PM
yes everyone has given me good advise its not that i dont wana take it but
i dont wana spend 2000 dollars on some car that im going to have to put 500 into fixing it becauysew it needs a muffler and breaks and god knows what els
because here evyerone thinks they can get what the Blue Book is or higher
so there is no picking up a 3800 in decent shape for less then 4000

even that 98 bucks if its got under 150 ppl think its worth 4000

i dont know about down there in FL because im not down in FL but you cant pick up a crown vic that cheap up here maybe if you have 3000 you can if its got 180k on it

but like i said im not going to buy some car for just 3k because i have looked at them all and turned them on driven them and they are just not worth it
if i do anyting with just 3k im going to take 3200 and get the Caddy fixed properly

but im leaning tords this 1991 lexus if i do get another car
i saw a 2002 DTS Deville with 160k but the guy wanted 3999 for it and i still feel thats to much so i told him now
and im back to thinking if i get something ill get the lexus if not then ill just get the caddy fixed and be happy with it till the n ext thing goes wrong
but its not like im refusing to taqke anyones advise i went out and looked but not my fault any of the impalas or mote carlos or chrysler concords buick lesabres fords they all run like shit sound like they are going to fall apart but still they think they should get 3k for them not going to happen

ThumperPup
09-22-10, 04:50 PM
Ok now that my defensive rant is over i just felt like i needed to put defense ther ebecause i felt like roo was not being nice to me even though i know he was just giving his apinion and he was just trying to help i felt i needed to put defense side on

but i think im just going to fix this and say the hell with it if i dont get the lexus
but if somehting happens after fixing it im going to lideraly run a wire form the fuel line to the spark plug and go caboommmmmmmm LMAO

drewsdeville
09-22-10, 05:02 PM
i dont know about down there in FL because im not down in FL but you cant pick up a crown vic that cheap up here maybe if you have 3000 you can if its got 180k on it

Sometimes you can get some real steals at municipal equipment auctions. All the Vics, Tahoes and, Impalas you want. Contrary to popular belief, fleet maintenance is good (everything gets fixed, major or minor, cars are kept on tight maint. schedules) and they usually turn the cars over before 100k. Sounds like they might fit your requirements. Maybe you should look into the nearest auction in your area.

Those auctions are pretty much the best way to get reliable and basic transportation for cheap money. Sure, you have to sacrifice features and amenities, but for the price, you can't beat it.

Stingroo
09-22-10, 05:06 PM
Just from browsing your local CL, here's what I would pick out that interests me:

http://cleveland.craigslist.org/ctd/1967822370.html $2695
http://cleveland.craigslist.org/cto/1967604038.html $2800 (and sounds nice if you can get him to give receipts for the work done)
http://cleveland.craigslist.org/ctd/1967596698.html $2795
http://cleveland.craigslist.org/cto/1967557969.html $3000 (Crown Vic with 125k)
http://cleveland.craigslist.org/cto/1967522008.html $2800 "Owned by mechanic" if you can get receipts this will be reliable.
http://cleveland.craigslist.org/cto/1967411526.html Hell, there's a Cadillac.

All you gotta do is look, cars are out there. I'm not meaning to come across as offensive, only to suggest opening your search more. You end up with more choices that way. :)

Stingroo
09-22-10, 05:07 PM
Sometimes you can get some real steals at municipal equipment auctions. All the Vics, Tahoes and, Impalas you want. Contrary to popular belief, fleet maintenance is good (everything gets fixed, major or minor, cars are kept on tight maint. schedules) and they usually turn the cars over before 100k. Sounds like they might fit your requirements. Maybe you should look into the nearest auction in your area.

Those auctions are pretty much the best way to get reliable and basic transportation for cheap money. Sure, you have to sacrifice features and amenities, but for the price, you can't beat it.

I was looking so hard for a Fleet auction when I was ready to buy a car. That's what I wanted, either a CV or a Tahoe to haul things to and from school. They're awesome. I've been to a few and seen people pick up STEALS.

drewsdeville
09-22-10, 05:16 PM
I was looking so hard for a Fleet auction when I was ready to buy a car. That's what I wanted, either a CV or a Tahoe to haul things to and from school. They're awesome. I've been to a few and seen people pick up STEALS.

That you can. Some need repairs, some don't. The cars are inspected prior to auction and any defects found are listed. You can also inspect them yourself prior to auction. You know in advance what you are getting. What most of them really need is just some time investment by giving a good cleaning. They usually shine up really nice, depending on what municipality owned it previously.

Either way, Pup, not saying that this is the answer, but it really might be worth taking a look-see. If you really need the features and options, pick up a Vic for cheap and head over to your local junkyard to get some leather seats and luxury features out of a Grand Marquis or Town Car. The whole panther platform is parts bin, everything is completely interchangeable.

ThumperPup
09-22-10, 05:17 PM
id have to look and see not sure where i find info on auctions around me i know there is the adesa auto auction near me but i think you have to be a dealer to go wich sucks

how do i find municiple auctions ?

ThumperPup
09-22-10, 05:22 PM
Just from browsing your local CL, here's what I would pick out that interests me:

http://cleveland.craigslist.org/ctd/1967822370.html $2695
http://cleveland.craigslist.org/cto/1967604038.html $2800 (and sounds nice if you can get him to give receipts for the work done)
http://cleveland.craigslist.org/ctd/1967596698.html $2795
http://cleveland.craigslist.org/cto/1967557969.html $3000 (Crown Vic with 125k)
http://cleveland.craigslist.org/cto/1967522008.html $2800 "Owned by mechanic" if you can get receipts this will be reliable.
http://cleveland.craigslist.org/cto/1967411526.html Hell, there's a Cadillac.

All you gotta do is look, cars are out there. I'm not meaning to come across as offensive, only to suggest opening your search more. You end up with more choices that way. :)

Some of those are cars i would like a few of them i i have even looked up and see
the few i wouldnt get any time is i dont like subura for some reason
and the Bravada i had a Jimmy same ting 3.6 vortech it wasnt the shisty 20mpg i was getting tht bugged me it was the fact i had the Lower Intake Manifold gaskets go out on me twice in 2 years never again will i own one of those peaces of shit lol

and irght now anyting that would cost more then 1500 dollars id have to get finacied i just dont have 2500 in cash right now
so see what my dellema is

drewsdeville
09-22-10, 05:24 PM
http://www.dasapps.ohio.gov/Surplus/nextauction.asp

Right on ohio.gov

ThumperPup
09-22-10, 05:30 PM
oh and about 3 weeks ago i saw that caddy on CL the smuck was trying to say lease my caddy he said 500 down and 175 a month i did talk to him just for the hell of it i said so will i own the car after 12 payments he says no you just leas who the heck is going to lease that car ?

im not waitin for something to drop from the sky but if im going to put money into something it has to be worth it for me
thats why this caddy is getting fixed no matter what i know i have to much into it to ever get back and still owe on the car
im not going to part it out just because im not the type who can do the tooling and all to part a car out and then have it sit in my drive way not going to happen old man wotn elt that be doen
so im going to loose mor emoney to it fix it and hope that it lasts me 2 or 3 years
but for now im going to drive it thre wthe winter who knows how long it will hold out before totaly spilling the coolant cuts out iwth the crack the way it is now
maybe atleast that will give me time to take my 1500 now and then even 2 or 3 months down the road maybe have 4 or 5 to just buy a decent car str8 out
but i think iv decided what im going to do
it would be a difrant stroy if i dindt still owe money on the car but i owe 1600 on the car and i just cant see it anyother way right now so driv eit untill it starts to overheat again becuase its not over heating now just a leak wich the stop leaks seems to be helping at the moment so maybe i can get 2 or 3 months with my fingers crossed befor it cant be driven at all and in that time i might have the money save up enought to buy a car out right that is good

ThumperPup
09-22-10, 05:34 PM
http://www.dasapps.ohio.gov/Surplus/nextauction.asp

Right on ohio.gov

wow cool thank you for that
maybe ill be able to save up more and find something decent come october 16th its about a 3 hour drive from me but woth it

ThumperPup
09-29-10, 11:22 AM
Ok so i havent doen anything havent bought a car yet and havent taken mine in to be fixed
been sitting home sick with strep for the last week

and searchign CL every day to see what new comes yesterday i ran across someone selling there
94 LS 400
for 1000 dollars yup 1000 dollars body looks great no rust no paint damage int is nice just some wear on the drivers seat wich is normal
doesnt look like it needs anyting nothing leaking or anything
exsept the only thing it does need is a Timing Belt the guy said his mechanic told him the teeth on the belt are so bad that is why the car wont even sturn over is this true the belt will cause the car to not turn over and start i thout that it just wouldnt let it drive but maybe i was wrong
so i figure if i can find a private shop he said his mechanic wanted like 500 in parts and labor
to do the job and i know the dealer will charge like 1100 to do it
and maybe i can get my dads mechanic who gives 2 year 24k warrantys on most his work to do it for a little more then 500 but all and all
if i pick the car up for a 1000
and have to put 700 into the timing belt and watter pump
do you think this is something that i should do or am ilooking for trouble buying a car that wont even run ?
but i guess im asking is this true where the belt being word to a point where the teeth are worn down on it will guess it to not even start ?
do you guys think this is a good cash car ? i mean if i only spent 1700 all together to get a decent car up on the road and all

Jesda
09-29-10, 01:58 PM
No, don't buy that. What the hell is wrong with you?

Stingroo
09-29-10, 02:32 PM
No, don't buy that. What the hell is wrong with you?

This.

Find a cash car that RUNS AND DRIVES for $2k. Don't find one for $1000 then pour $2k INTO it. Why don't you take your dad's mechanic with you when you check a car out, if he's close enough? That's what I would do.

ThumperPup
09-29-10, 03:23 PM
ok then i wont get it just didnt know if it was something since i didnt have to put 2k into it and it was only gona run like 700 to fix and then a 1000 on the car but then i wont do that

still looking for a car for 2k that i dont have to put any money into at all and well i cant find anyting that i like that runs good evyerhgin sounds mean as in it sounds like they all need mufflers or something and im not going to put out 2k on anyting htat still needs work if id ont get a warranty on the car of some sort

id rather shell 3k into my car

but when i saw one for a 1000 that yeah needed 700 of work then i figured what the heck why not
i am not dumb enough tot buy the car without knowing for sure thats whats wrong with it was going to tell the dude i would have my AAA tow it to my mechanic well my dads mechanic and if he says thats all it needs then i would buy it from him if not and it needs more then he needs to pay to have it towed back to his place

thats what the plan was

i been looking and looking and nothhing intresats me that i see because im not about to shell out 200 or 300 dollars to have a muffler put on or anyting other hten breaks to be replaced and that seems like all im finding for that price

so when push comes to shuve i guess i know what im going to do

hueterm
09-29-10, 03:35 PM
You're debating an engine swap in your STS or a new timing belt on an LS w/who knows what other kind of problems -- and you're all worried about a muffler?

And no matter what you buy (or if you keep your STS), something's going to break -- so get ready...

ThumperPup
09-29-10, 04:41 PM
not debating an engine swap im debating weather to get it fixed
yeah thats right i can get it doenf or abotu 3300 after taxes
a new block studs and labor

and well yeah if you read what i said yeah im tired of looking at cars that are peaces of shit for 2000 because ppl think they are worth it if they are they are if they arent then they arent but tired of every single car i see for 2k or around there needing something
so yeah id rather do those 2 options then by a car and put any money into it

you might htink that is contridicting what im saying now or thinking about the lexus but the car was 1000 and i could get it fixed for 700

or i can spend 2000 on a impala or moteo carlo or 95 deville with the 4.9 and have to put a few hundred into fixing the muffler and other work not mentioned
well im not about to spend that much on a car to stil have to fix it

so i figured id ask a question and i didnt get a answer or apinion i was hoping for so now im just tired of looking at shit for 2000 im going to dumb 3300 into the caddy and well ill be in the same ****ing boat when something breaks on it again no warranty and well still ****ed up LOL

sorry to sound rude because i dont mean to be rude

however i bet you can see how fusterating this all is

so im not even gong to looka anymore im just going to get the caddy fixed when i get the rest of the money to

drewsdeville
09-29-10, 04:55 PM
not debating an engine swap im debating weather to get it fixed
yeah thats right i can get it doenf or abotu 3300 after taxes
a new block studs and labor

and well yeah if you read what i said yeah im tired of looking at cars that are peaces of shit for 2000 because ppl think they are worth it if they are they are if they arent then they arent but tired of every single car i see for 2k or around there needing something
so yeah id rather do those 2 options then by a car and put any money into it

you might htink that is contridicting what im saying now or thinking about the lexus but the car was 1000 and i could get it fixed for 700

or i can spend 2000 on a impala or moteo carlo or 95 deville with the 4.9 and have to put a few hundred into fixing the muffler and other work not mentioned
well im not about to spend that much on a car to stil have to fix it

so i figured id ask a question and i didnt get a answer or apinion i was hoping for so now im just tired of looking at shit for 2000 im going to dumb 3300 into the caddy and well ill be in the same ****ing boat when something breaks on it again no warranty and well still ****ed up LOL

sorry to sound rude because i dont mean to be rude

however i bet you can see how fusterating this all is

so im not even gong to looka anymore im just going to get the caddy fixed when i get the rest of the money to

Did the fleet auction idea go out the window? Considering your requirements and the amount you want to spend, that's just about the only place you might possibly find what you are looking for. If you think you'll find a better private party deal, this thread will continue for a LONG time.

ThumperPup
09-29-10, 05:05 PM
i whent to 2 auctions dealer auctions last week just before i got sick on thursday and friday at adessa auction here in NE ohio with a friend who has a dealer license and there where 2 cars i saw there that i liked kept getting out bit like 300 or 400 over what i had

i looked at the fleet auction public auction someone posted a link to wher ei found here in ohio and when i saw there inventory it would scare me off when every car i saw needed something major said tranmision needs work engine needs work
needs exsusate so that scared me away
and then i know the auctions wont even let uyou start it up or drive it to see if it needs anyting they just say you can come in inspect the car but if you cant start it up then what th eheck good is it

im just going to fix this car and be doen with it all car will be paid off in 4 more payment sdi think
and well in th emean time if i can make it that long without the cracked block gushing out and just it leaking small like it is between now and then and then i ll get something then
if it start to get worst before its paid off then ill get it fixed but i dont see myself being happy with anyting right now i think it might just be for the prinsible of the fact that im not ready to let her go because all iv put into her and all im just going to fix her this time

wishing i never fixed the heads in april ill tell you im never going to fix another car when heads go bad on another car after this its just going to the garbage dump and then ill get something els

Jesda
09-29-10, 06:03 PM
Well, on other cars a head gasket can be as little as $350 with labor.

ThumperPup
09-29-10, 06:17 PM
i just think i have decided im going to save up my cash run the caddy as long as i can before the leak gets worst again if it gets worst before i pay the car off then ill fix it if it doenst then ill drive it till it does and then deal with getting a new car or fixing it then

drewsdeville
09-29-10, 07:35 PM
Well, on other cars a head gasket can be as little as $350 with labor.

Maybe on some old iron 4 cylinders, not much else.

Aluminum engines are pretty much the norm now, and thus all carry similar traits to the Northstar, including stripping threads on high torque bolt holes like head bolts and sometimes even main cap bolts.

2 years ago I had to helicoil the head bolt holes on a 2002 Honda Civic when replacing the headgasket. That's right, even on a Honda. The aluminum threads from the block came out with the bolts on 2 holes. If it was taken in to a shop, there's no way it'd be a cheap repair, definitely not even close to $350.

Jesda
09-29-10, 08:14 PM
A RWD car, like an older BMW 5-series, could have a head gasket replaced with a machined head for well under $1000. The major expense in a Northstar is engine removal.

My Mazda 929 (V6, RWD) was $350 for the whole job including machining the aluminum head. Its very possible to have it done for dirt cheap on several cars if you know where to go.

Compare $350-$1000 to $3000 (unless you DIY or go to one of the N* experts on the forum).

drewsdeville
09-29-10, 08:23 PM
My Mazda 929 (V6, RWD) was $350 for the whole job including machining the aluminum head. Its very possible to have it done for dirt cheap on several cars if you know where to go.

Iron blocked, no drilling/thread repair :) Thread repair is very time consuming, really bumps up the labor cost.

Milling the headgasket surface of the head is a fast/cheap/easy process.

But yes, most can be done cheaper than the N*. I think the days of $350 headgasket jobs are fading though.

Jesda
09-29-10, 08:35 PM
Most Japanese commuter pods don't have that problem anyway, except some Honda engines at very high mileage (200-300k) including the Prelude. And even then, its not terribly expensive unless you end up at DOBBS HONDA OF COVINGTON PIKE (a story for another thread).

Fortunately, the 06+ DTS is mostly trouble-free.

ThumperPup
09-29-10, 09:02 PM
if i had about 19k or well about 10k in cash and then wouldnt mind finacing the rest i know what i would go for a week ago i ran across 2 caddys tha ti loved one was a 07 sts with like 40k on it selling for 18999 and it was certfied
with a bumper to bumper and all

and the other was a 06 DTS with 57k for just about the same price with a bumper to bumper warranty form the dealership wich gives them on all ther cars for 4 years 100k from the itme you buy them used

but not a chance in hell id come up with that kind of cash not for about 2 years mayvbe