: Rim and Tire question

Domsz06
09-21-10, 04:29 PM
Why or why not would it be possible to put the c6z06 front rim on the front and rear of our cars? that way you could have 285's on the front and rear and then I could have a drag set with 305's and all my tires and rims would match. and you could rotate and potentiall get a little longer tire life?

Is it the computer? traction control? what?

You can fit 285's under the front with a spacer, so don't use that argument.

Thanks everyone!!! ;)

baabootoo
09-21-10, 05:22 PM
After the drag wheel thread, I wondered the same thing. I'm going to Tire Rack this weekend to test fit some 18" wheels, with Corvette ones now included. The big thing is whether the spokes "curve" outwards enough to clear the front calipers. As long as we keep the outer diameter/offset the same, or close, I don't see any technical problems.

gnxs
09-21-10, 05:44 PM
Would the 18" Z06 rims clear the V's front calipers? They barely clear my rear calipers.

If they would clear and the offset/backspace was correct I suppose you could, but I doubt a 285 tire would work on the front. To me the easier solution was to copy what Razorecko did, just do the 265/305 street tire setup using Bridgestone RE-11's on the factory rims. Then I run 305 MT DRs for the track. Obviously that gives you a mismatched set of rims at the track though.

Domsz06
09-21-10, 06:42 PM
Um not sure what you guys are talking about the z06 front caliper makes the v's look like chump change.

IMO....

Domsz06
09-21-10, 06:46 PM
I think I'll just take my z's front rims off and put them in the v to see if they fit.

The reason I wanna do this is I like the spyder and i also think it would be cool to have the option to rotate rims since you have 285 in all 4 corners.

1-2-N-V
09-21-10, 10:08 PM
For Me... I was looking to put the 285s in the front also and maybe buying the V coup 10.5" rims and trying to squeeze some 315 on them. Not sure if this could be done. Since i am not lowered. i d like to maybe put 20's on and fill the well a bit better. Are any of you wheel guys out there masterminding something like this? Id like to see a combo that would work as i think the 255 and 285s are a bit puny. any other folk like to comment?

mfrazstsv
09-21-10, 11:31 PM
If a 305 (Razorecko) will work on the 9.5" rim, a 315 should easily work on a 10.5 rim, subject to backspace/offset putting the tire outside the fender and whatever inner clearance is needed for rim or tire.

1-2-N-V
09-21-10, 11:36 PM
I forget now are the sedan rears only 9.5 whereas the coup is 10 not 10.5?

cbloveday
09-21-10, 11:48 PM
I forget now are the sedan rears only 9.5 whereas the coup is 10 not 10.5?

That is my understanding.

1-2-N-V
09-21-10, 11:56 PM
Probably not worth buying coup rears. Maybe should just invest in aftermarket 20s in something that will fit 285 front and at least 305 to 315 rears. maybe keep the stockers for the winter rubber. Any of you Wheel mfrs have a bead on this thread? would like to see some options for this set up with spacers (if needed). Would like to see what ya got

snzuloz
09-22-10, 10:50 AM
Um not sure what you guys are talking about the z06 front caliper makes the v's look like chump change.

IMO....

The Z06 has 14.00 inch rotors (from what i've been able to find out), whereas the V has 14.57 inch units. Is the overall size of the caliper that much larger than the V?

Domsz06
09-22-10, 12:08 PM
The Z06 has 14.00 inch rotors (from what i've been able to find out), whereas the V has 14.57 inch units. Is the overall size of the caliper that much larger than the V?

Um... When I look at it the z looks much bigger....

least I thinik.... Let me see if I have any pictures at work, if not I'll take some when I get home and post up.

yooper
09-22-10, 04:17 PM
:peeking:

Domsz06
09-22-10, 04:33 PM
maybe I was mistaken...

here is a pic I found on my photo bucket page.....

http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t216/domsz06/CTS-V/DSC01017.jpg

Baxman
09-23-10, 01:19 AM
I asked my tire guy about the Z06 Spyder rims. He said the bolt pattern is slightly different, and they'd fit, but he wouldn't recommend them for the V (with R-compound tires). Does that make any sense? I would really like some 18" rims for a better selection of sticky rubber.

Domsz06
09-23-10, 09:22 AM
I asked my tire guy about the Z06 Spyder rims. He said the bolt pattern is slightly different, and they'd fit, but he wouldn't recommend them for the V (with R-compound tires). Does that make any sense? I would really like some 18" rims for a better selection of sticky rubber.

Unless the z rims are not made strong enough to handle the weight I see no reason not to use them as long as they all fit.

That makes zero sense to me.

The z is capable of faster speeds then the v.

I think he just wants you to buy more expensive tires.

gnxs
09-23-10, 10:50 AM
That pic is a bit misleading in that the rims on the front of the Z are 18" and the V is 19" and the shape of the caliper is a little different. I wish I'd have mounted the Z06 rims I used for my DR's on the front of my V before mounting the tires on them to see if they would have fit and cleared the V's front calipers.

As to the bolt pattern, off the top of my head I thought they are both identical at 5 x 4.75.

Domsz06
09-23-10, 12:12 PM
That pic is a bit misleading in that the rims on the front of the Z are 18" and the V is 19" and the shape of the caliper is a little different. I wish I'd have mounted the Z06 rims I used for my DR's on the front of my V before mounting the tires on them to see if they would have fit and cleared the V's front calipers.

As to the bolt pattern, off the top of my head I thought they are both identical at 5 x 4.75.

this weekend I will mount and take pics.

The bolt pattern is technically not the same. This was discussed on another thread. years ago american wen to the metric version and is like 5x120, but gm "didn't" and stayed with 5x125. The tolerances are not that tight so you can use both on the same pattern.

gnxs
09-23-10, 12:38 PM

The bolt pattern is technically not the same. This was discussed on another thread. years ago american wen to the metric version and is like 5x120, but gm "didn't" and stayed with 5x125. The tolerances are not that tight so you can use both on the same pattern.
Dom,

I'm not trying to be argumentative, I'm only trying to understand (as well as make sure what I'm running is safe) so please don't take it as anything more than that.

Since both cars are GM, wouldn't they be the same? I know the Z06 rim I'm using is a GM part made by Speedline, so maybe that's the point I'm missing or where the slight difference comes from. I will say that at the track, the V rim is snug as I take it off and on and the Z06 rim is a little more forgiving. Maybe it indeed is a few mm looser. Regardless, the factory lugs on the CTS-V perfectly lock into the Z06 rims and they stayed torqued down while at the track (I checked them after each pass). For constant street use, perhaps there might be an issue though.

Thanks for the pics and info. Let us know if the C6 rim fits the front of the V and clears the brakes. :thumbsup:

Domsz06
09-23-10, 03:26 PM
I wasn't trying to offend you. I was simply stating some facts, bolt patterns:

V is 5-120
Z is 5-120.67

Your car will not notice that difference. It was discussed in another thread about how there was a change in auto makers hence the "slight" difference.

One would think that since they are gm cars they would have the same, but if you look around you can see that GM runs 2 different bolt patterns in the 5 lug series. I have no idea why but they do.

Back to the original statement about wanting to know is your dealer said he wouldn't run a y compound on the z06 R is stickier then y.

As far as running safe or not.... I see no reason why you can't run the z06 tire and rim on a cts-v and vice versa if you wanted to. We are talking 1000 pounds more. As long as the load ratings for the rim and tire are with in the specs of your caddy you are fine. torque em down and let her loose:)

just keep the rubber side down :)

StoopidSavant
09-23-10, 03:36 PM

2009+ CTS-V is 5x4.72" = 5x120mm
C6 Z06 is 5x4.75" = 5x120.6mm

Domsz06
09-23-10, 03:57 PM
2009+ CTS-V is 5x4.72" = 5x120mm
C6 Z06 is 5x4.75" = 5x120.6mm

Thanks.

and back to the org statement rims, wrenchs etc won't notice .6 mm

I really believe the tire guy just didn't want you to know there was cheaper rims/tires out there...

gnxs
09-23-10, 03:59 PM
Thanks.

and back to the org statement rims, wrenchs etc won't notice .6 mm

I really believe the tire guy just didn't want you to know there was cheaper rims/tires out there...

Agreed.

yooper
09-30-10, 05:13 PM
:hmm:Domsz06, did you get a chance to try the C6Z06 front rims on the V2? Any comment on clearing the V2 front rotors? Thanks

Domsz06
09-30-10, 05:18 PM
:hmm:Domsz06, did you get a chance to try the C6Z06 front rims on the V2? Any comment on clearing the V2 front rotors? Thanks

I ran out of time this last weekend.

I will get it done this weekend.

RLJ676
01-15-11, 11:41 PM
Bump to see if anyone knows if Z06 fronts fit our fronts?

There are some aftermarket vette specific wheels I'm interested in.

Domsz06
01-15-11, 11:45 PM
Bump to see if anyone knows if Z06 fronts fit our fronts?

There are some aftermarket vette specific wheels I'm interested in.

I'd love to tell you but my car is STILL IN THE FLIPPING SHOP..... :(

RLJ676
01-16-11, 12:05 AM

Bummer.:eek:

yooper
01-17-11, 02:36 PM

Attached is picture of Front 08 OEM Z06 18 x 9.5" 40mm wheel on my 04 CTSV with V2 caliper and rotor mounted on SKF pre-09 Hub Bearing Unit. I had to open up the V2rotor ID to fit on the 70 mm SKF Hub. The V1 requires at least 3/8" spacer and maybe more depending on tire size you want to run. With 275/40/18 mounted on this 9.5" wheel I had light rubbing in the front fender well at full turn in. No problem mounted on the rear and may be able to go to 295/35/18 or wider.

I believe the V2 comes OEM with the 09 and newer SKF Hub Bearing Units as does the ZR1 Corvette. Please check your hub OD before ordering pre-09 Z06 wheels.