: 10 cars that refuse to die

Night Wolf
09-20-10, 11:30 PM
I didn't write it - honest! but darn I agree with it!

http://www.kiplinger.com/tools/slideshows/slideshow_pop.html?nm=cars_that_wont_die

gdwriter
09-20-10, 11:37 PM
There are some good choices. But I find Archie, the '72 Chevy Impala at stillruns.com (http://www.stillruns.com) the most amusing example of a beater that simply refuses to die. I've driven Edith, which is in pretty nice, mostly unrestored condition. Still waiting to see when Meathead, the convertible is restored.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
09-20-10, 11:44 PM
I love the A-Bodies. So simple, cheap and reliable, yet fairly luxurious (all things considered) and just a great workhorse of a family car.

Jesda
09-20-10, 11:48 PM
Good picks. The A-body is a staple of senior citizens, poor people, and young kids who all want something really basic and reliable. The nice thing is that the Olds versions had older owners and really comfy interiors.

My parents owned only one American car, and it was a 1988 Celebrity wagon that my dad took meticulous care of. He got it as a brand new company car, bought it when it was retired from the fleet, then sold it to some friends who took it to Alaska and put 250,000+ miles on it. Iron duke wouldn't die.

drewsdeville
09-21-10, 09:20 AM
Bah, the A-body was on here but no Chrysler K car anywhere on the list? What's up with that? :hmm:

ted tcb
09-21-10, 10:18 AM
Perhaps it depends upon your location.

I no longer see running examples of K cars up here in central Ontario, likely a result of the
bodies falling apart. Parts were plentiful and cheap, but the bodies are now all over 20 yrs old in
salt/sand country.

About the only car on that list that I might disagree with is the 4cyl Subaru Outback.
Headgasket failures, rust, and expensive parts don't equal good longevity, plus the older ones
have now gone through multiple owners.
I've tried to buy a well maintained, original owner example .... tough to do up my way.

Good list .... I see most of the cars on it running around daily.
I would possibly add 1995 and up Maximas ... tons of them running around, the drivetrains
were solid.

Stingroo
09-21-10, 10:50 AM
I never see old Chrysler K cars running around here. Really, they're quite uncommon (this is a good thing. :p )

Jesda
09-21-10, 11:13 AM
K cars didn't have the kind elderly owners that the Olds Ciera did. The most common one I do see is the occasional Lebaron convertible treasured by its owner.

Sandy
09-21-10, 11:38 AM
There is a 2011 Grand Marque. Well, I have the 4-page, BLACK & WHITE sales brochure !!!!

Koooop
09-21-10, 01:20 PM
I would have expected to see the 77 & 78 DeVille on there.

ben.gators
09-21-10, 03:27 PM
Subaru Wagons is one of these 10 cars and here is the description of the car in this report: "If all of these failed to start tomorrow, thousands of college professors in the Northeast and Pacific Northwest would have to walk to class. "

Is this correct? I never have been in any Northeast or Pacific Northwest university so far, but in southern universities that I have studied and visited I have seen no or very few Subaro Wagons... The same goes for Saab, I have heard a lot that Saab is for professors... But have not seen any Saab so far in Campus parkings.....

Stingroo
09-21-10, 03:30 PM
Those Subaru wagons were EVERYWHERE in NE Mass where I lived.

Jesda
09-21-10, 03:37 PM
All the Saab-driving professors moved on when GM crept in. Its funny because GM then moved on to taking 20% of Subaru.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
09-21-10, 06:55 PM
K cars didn't have the kind elderly owners that the Olds Ciera did. The most common one I do see is the occasional Lebaron convertible treasured by its owner.

Yes, including Jon Voight.

http://blog.shoplet.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/seinfeld_chrysler_lebaron.jpg

f8Vqd0sBw44&feature=player_embedded

Aron9000
09-21-10, 06:55 PM
I would like to add Buick LeSabres, Park Avenues, Olds 88/98's on that list. Lots of those still rolling around, hell I still occasionally see the boxy late 70's/80's RWD models, still see a few of the boxy FWD ones as well. 90's models are plentiful, and IMO a much better buy than a similar year Accord/Civic/Camry. Usually their first owners took great care of them, and they are now dead.

Night Wolf
09-22-10, 12:12 AM
All the Saab-driving professors moved on when GM crept in. Its funny because GM then moved on to taking 20% of Subaru.

GM seems to ruin things when they move in. Isuzu made some of the best passenger SUV's sold.... GM got rid of those and rebaged their own junk..... then got rid of the brand...

As for Subaru's, it is defntily a regional thing. They were very popular in NY, all over. Here in middle GA, you hardly ever see them - but up until this past Summer, the nearest dealer was in Atlanta.

gdwriter
09-22-10, 01:46 AM
Subaru Wagons is one of these 10 cars and here is the description of the car in this report: "If all of these failed to start tomorrow, thousands of college professors in the Northeast and Pacific Northwest would have to walk to class. "I can attest that the Pacific Northwest is lousy with Subaru wagons (and Priuii), especially in a college town like Corvallis.

I'd add early 90s DeVilles to that list. Maybe it's because I used to own one (and it's still going strong for my niece), but I still see a ton of them on the road. I also agree with the big Buicks. When I'm at my sister's in North Dakota, it seems like every other car I see is a 90s/00s LeSabre or Park Avenue.

93DevilleUSMC
09-22-10, 09:06 AM
I can attest that the Pacific Northwest is lousy with Subaru wagons (and Priuii), especially in a college town like Corvallis.

I'd add early 90s DeVilles to that list. Maybe it's because I used to own one (and it's still going strong for my niece), but I still see a ton of them on the road. I also agree with the big Buicks. When I'm at my sister's in North Dakota, it seems like every other car I see is a 90s/00s LeSabre or Park Avenue.

Agreed. I see them day after day in Atlanta, still running, even if they do look like they're about to rust through at any given second.