: always wanted a mac. computer

creeker
09-20-10, 09:57 PM
There's two mac models that I need some advice on, the particulars are the same except the one for $1300.00 reads 3.06 GHz and 500 GB, the one for $1600.00 reads ...............3.2GHz and 1 TB,is the one for $300.00 more worth the extra money?, I only use computer formy amusement and dont get too involved with files , banking etc.

Playdrv4me
09-20-10, 10:03 PM
Those prices may be high. What are the screen sizes? (21, 24, or 27?)

Right now, today... less than 1300.00 should *easily* buy a 27 inch Core 2 Duo iMac with 3.06GHz and 1TB of hard drive space. It is one of the best Mac deals going now that the Core i3 model replaced it. Especially when you consider that the just released 27 inch Cinema Display, with NO COMPUTER attached is 999.00.

Seeing as how these components are not easily replaceable, you want the most your money can buy at the time being, because you will likely replace the machine before you ever dig in to upgrade the internals.

drewsdeville
09-20-10, 10:08 PM
The processor speed difference will probably go undetectable by you. The hard drive space is probably the only variable here.

How big is your current HD? How much of it are you using? Look at your current machine to determine your HD needs and base your purchase on that.

Keep in mind that the difference between a 500gb and 1TB drive on the shelf is only about $30...

Jesda
09-20-10, 10:11 PM
For basic functions, consider a Mac Mini.

creeker
09-20-10, 10:30 PM
Those prices may be high. What are the screen sizes? (21, 24, or 27?)

Right now, today... less than 1300.00 should *easily* buy a 27 inch Core 2 Duo iMac with 3.06GHz and 1TB of hard drive space. It is one of the best Mac deals going now that the Core i3 model replaced it. Especially when you consider that the just released 27 inch Cinema Display, with NO COMPUTER attached is 999.00.

Seeing as how these components are not easily replaceable, you want the most your money can buy at the time being, because you will likely replace the machine before you ever dig in to upgrade the internals.

They are both 21.5", these are canadian prices, things cost more up here,I'll investigate that mini mac. thanks for the info.

Playdrv4me
09-20-10, 10:36 PM
They are both 21.5", these are canadian prices, things cost more up here,I'll investigate that mini mac. thanks for the info.

The Mac Mini is a machine that should more than serve your needs, but keep in mind that it does not include a keyboard, monitor, or a mouse. It is just a little brick of a computer. Odds are you can re-use your existing keyboard, mouse and monitor with some exceptions.

As stated above, the processor speed won't matter much, but the hard drive needs to be as large as possible, as upgrading it in the iMacs is a pain in the a$$ that requires removal of the front protective glass, and the internal display module before you can get to the innards.

You can always buy an external hard drive, but that is a somewhat in-elegant kluge.

creeker
09-20-10, 11:45 PM
I just seen an ad in local newspaper for a used imac,they say they need a laptop computer for their needs,

Imac 24'
2.8 GHz
core 2 DUO Xeon
4GB 500 GB hd sd mac
OSX 10.6.4
is on apple care program

$800.00

Is this basically a good computer?, I'm leery of buying used, but maybe it's worth investigating.

drewsdeville
09-20-10, 11:53 PM
It's good enough I guess.

You seem to be interested in getting top hardware for your dollar. It's really hard to recommend anything when you are so stuck on Mac. Honestly, as far as hardware/dollar value, you'll always lose when you go Mac. You are basically paying the Apple premium for the software and support.

creeker
09-21-10, 12:13 AM
It's good enough I guess.

You seem to be interested in getting top hardware for your dollar. It's really hard to recommend anything when you are so stuck on Mac. Honestly, as far as hardware/dollar value, you'll always lose when you go Mac. You are basically paying the Apple premium for the software and support.

I'm just in the learning process on macs, anyone I know that has one say they are virtually problem free, I'm open to any suggestions on any make.

Jesda
09-21-10, 12:35 AM
Nothing is problem free, but they're well reputed.

creeker
09-21-10, 01:16 AM
Thanks for the advice.