: Anyone have any strange noises when backing up

snzuloz
09-20-10, 07:24 PM
I was backing out of a parking stall yesterday and my car is making some godawful noise when I turn the wheels (fairly sharp). It sounded like a heavy pop (almost like a bad c/v joint would). Only seems to happen when I'm in reverse (can't get it to make the noise in tight turns going forward), my car doesn't have the clicking wheel issue (that I've heard), anyone experience this same noise? Any ideas as to what it might be from (tsb's or the like), really don't want to go to the dealer unless I have to.

jwa999
09-20-10, 07:30 PM
Rear differential. Mine was making noise first thing in the morning, expecially when you turn. fluid can be low. My dealer replaced fluel and added 2 cans of additive. Haven't had a problem since.

Razorecko
09-20-10, 07:31 PM
check the diff & driveshaft/u-joint

snzuloz
09-20-10, 07:42 PM
Rear differential. Mine was making noise first thing in the morning, expecially when you turn. fluid can be low. My dealer replaced fluel and added 2 cans of additive. Haven't had a problem since.

I've checked the diff fluid, it was right where it was supposed to be. Going to have to try it some more in an open area to figure this out, just waiting for it to quit raining.

Razorecko
09-20-10, 08:14 PM
^ any steering wheel vibration ?. Take it to the dealer

thebigjimsho
09-20-10, 08:26 PM
I was going to call out n00b. But there may be more than 1 in this thread. Does the noise come with a thump in the steering wheel? If so, that is the PS2s "crabwalking". If so, normal operation...

snzuloz
09-20-10, 08:30 PM
^ any steering wheel vibration ?. Take it to the dealer

No the noise doesn't affect the steering wheel at all. It really sounds like a universal joint that's not wanting to turn and then lets loose, pretty loud when it happens, i'll look at it some more (currently raining)and if it's still acting up Ill take it in on warranty. I started thinking that maybe the turning radius was the culprit, but no matter what this noise shouldn't happen.

Thomas H
09-20-10, 08:45 PM
It’s a normal characteristic on a car with wide tires. The only cure is don’t turn the wheel so tight when backing or to put narrower tires on.
Hope this helps.
Tom

snzuloz
09-20-10, 09:04 PM
It’s a normal characteristic on a car with wide tires. The only cure is don’t turn the wheel so tight when backing or to put narrower tires on.
Hope this helps.
Tom

I've owned cars with wider tires that don't do this, maybe it is something with the ps2's, but I'm sure it didn't affect the wheel when it happened.

4DR_ZR1
09-20-10, 09:05 PM
Does the noise come with a thump in the steering wheel? If so, that is the PS2s "crabwalking". If so, normal operation...

Itís a normal characteristic on a car with wide tires. The only cure is donít turn the wheel so tight when backing.....
^^^^^ What they said. This subject was discussed in a few threads many moons ago.

Ross L
09-20-10, 09:20 PM
my brake pads "stick" after washing and letting sit overnight. Usually a pop then everythings fine. I noticed you stated it was raining there, Just a thought. Edit, just re-read post where you mentioned turning and backing up. disregard my info.
Ross

snzuloz
09-20-10, 09:50 PM
^^^^^ What they said. This subject was discussed in a few threads many moons ago.

I'll do some more testing and see if this is the case, maybe these posts were before my time? I guess I am just a noob afterall...

Razorecko
09-21-10, 01:33 AM
I've had wide rears before and didnt have this issue. Have the dealership check your u-joint. At the least you'll have it recorded on file that you asked them to check it if in case something should happen later down the road