: CTS-V in Northeast weather?

scarinjo
09-19-10, 12:22 PM
Anybody with some advice on how the CTS-V would perform in the snow where I live. I have a 2008 CTS AWD now but in the future thinking about the CTS-V but concerned about driving in bad weather.

Z06ified
09-19-10, 12:52 PM
It can be done, but you absolutely need to buy a set of snow tires. Don't even THINK of trying driving the V in the snow with the stock PS2's.

FredR
09-19-10, 03:26 PM
No way would I drive my V in more than a light dusting of snow. I learned to drive on roads that are completely covered in snow for 4 months of the year and this car is too low and stiff to be trusted in anything more than a light dusting. I am in the process of talking the wife into getting a CTS awd now so that I can have her Tribute for a winter car.

neuronbob
09-19-10, 05:20 PM
You can drive this car in more than a light dusting. I did it last winter (and it was a very bad winter!) and plan to again this winter. :) Cleveland FTW! At least as far as snow goes. If you've got lots of steep hills where you live, forget driving in snowy conditions. If you live in relatively flat Cleveland, you can do it. Once again, I show you the proof of concept...and I know regulars are tired of seeing this now, but...:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21Orh9X0NPA

Tags63
09-19-10, 08:34 PM
Hey!!

It definitely can be done. I live part of the year in LI, NY and had my '04 CTS and '06 STS V's in snow at one time or another. I wouldn't recommend it though. The '10 will be in the garage this time around.

Paul

Kadonny
09-20-10, 11:49 AM
You can drive this car in more than a light dusting. I did it last winter (and it was a very bad winter!) and plan to again this winter. :) Cleveland FTW! At least as far as snow goes. If you've got lots of steep hills where you live, forget driving in snowy conditions. If you live in relatively flat Cleveland, you can do it. Once again, I show you the proof of concept...and I know regulars are tired of seeing this now, but...:

Exactly. Here in PA you can't drive this car in more than dusting because of the hills. Spin, spin, spin.

Domsz06
09-20-10, 01:29 PM
it's not the hills or anything or even the snow it's the fact that what do you guys do when you hit or see a CHUNK of snow or ice with no where to go? bye bye front bumper.

Granted I dont' live in a snow prone area, but if My company does move me a 4x4 truck will be coming with me and the v, and the z ;)

thebigjimsho
09-20-10, 04:20 PM
The V will not move an inch with even just a dusting while on PS2s. Snow tires are mandatory to drive in inclement weather...

neuronbob
09-20-10, 05:00 PM
Exactly. Here in PA you can't drive this car in more than dusting because of the hills. Spin, spin, spin.

And that's with snow tires. :)

Razorecko
09-20-10, 06:31 PM
Hell, Cbloveday does it and he has 650+ hp !

snzuloz
09-20-10, 07:09 PM
If you want to see a real winter look further north, this car is not made for winter period!

New Bee In New York
09-20-10, 09:37 PM
Just today, I took delivery of four brand spanking new ASA GTI wheels and four 255/40R19 Michelin Pilot Alpin Winter Tires. Bring on the snow! LOL

BeagleBrains
09-20-10, 10:34 PM
Just sold our 2004 CTS V. Used a Goodyear winter tire rated high for snow and ice traction throughout the winter. The greatest advantage was with siping (multiple tread cuts that grip icey surfaces. :cookoo: Worked very well. Working on buying winter/tire setup for our CTS V Coupe.
Definately swapped to driving our Jeep Rubicon during Iowa's 8"+ storms. The Yaw Control function is very effective for manuvering to support steering control.

neuronbob
09-21-10, 12:05 AM
If you want to see a real winter look further north, this car is not made for winter period!

Wimp. :) J/K, those winters in Alberta must be pretty bad. If I lived there, I'd have a 4X4 with snow tires for daily driver duty in the winter.

lbenoit
09-21-10, 09:06 AM
I drove my 2009 CTS-V last winter with Pirelli Sottozero 240 winter tires in OEM sizes. The car is usable in light to moderate snow, but negotiating snow covered hills requires judicious use of wheel spin. Think of it as an ascending slalom. While I never got stuck, I was very careful to plot my routes in order to avoid steep hills. And, I avoided heavy snowstorms.

The Pirelli Sottozero 240 is not a pure snow and ice tire. The tire is tremendous in cold and dry conditions and just nominally competent in snow. If you want maximum snow and ice performance, consider the Bridgestone Blizzaks or similar tire in a slighty narrower profile. Several members of this forum have this setup and reported good results. While the Blizzaks will provide better traction in snow, they will not perfom as well on dry pavement, given the necessary compromises in design and tread compound.

The OEM PS2 tires progressively lose grip under 50 degrees. Under freezing they are like riding on grease. In contrast the Pirelli 240 tires have tremendous traction in cold and dry winter conditions, assuring that the V is still reasonably safe and fun to drive year around.

Vrocks
09-21-10, 10:13 AM
Anybody with some advice on how the CTS-V would perform in the snow where I live. I have a 2008 CTS AWD now but in the future thinking about the CTS-V but concerned about driving in bad weather.
It's terrible in the snow with the stock PS2 tires on it. I need a running start to get up very slight inclines and it won't turn or stop either.

Razorecko
09-21-10, 10:31 AM
Either get snow tires or just get an awd/truck vehicle. It's not worth your 70k vehicle

neuronbob
09-21-10, 11:18 AM
+1 on the Pirellis. They are awesome on dry roads in the cold. I mean, awesome. Yes, they ride a little softer than the PS2s do in warm weather, but who's dumb enough to hoon on public roadways in their car during the winter anyway? I just keep the car in "D" mode and cruise during the cold weather. They are also competent in up to several inches of snow. Yes, it is a challenge to get started on a steep hill even in these tires (I know, I tried), but when you get going, you don't stop or slip.

That said, I will probably try the Blizzaks next time I have to buy, simply to have that experience (not because I don't like the Pirellis). With the Blizzaks, you really do sacrifice dry handling for ultimate snow traction even in a car like the V. We have several people on the board with Blizzaks who swear by them and I can respect that. The Pirellis are the opposite--you sacrifice ultimate snow traction on those few days of the year when you get hit with bad snowstorms, for the handling desired on the majority of days that have mild or no snowfall.

Just IMHO and my $0.02.

New Bee In New York
09-21-10, 11:54 AM
There are definite trade-offs when comparing snow/ice capability vs. overall winter performance. I based my decision to purchase the Michelin Pilot Alpin on the fact that, here in New York, there are many many more days during the winter when the roads are clear as opposed to days that they are snow/ice covered. I sacrificed ultimate snow traction for a tire that will perform best on the cold/dry or cold/wet roads that usually accompany New York winters.

fasterthanrays
09-21-10, 08:50 PM
Buy a $1k Subaru for snow use + a set of used snow tires= instant hero driving in the snow.
Probably would cost the same or less than buying a set of dedicated snow tires/wheels.

New Bee In New York
09-21-10, 11:19 PM
Buy a $1k Subaru for snow use + a set of used snow tires= instant hero driving in the snow.
Probably would cost the same or less than buying a set of dedicated snow tires/wheels.It's not so much that we need snow tires, it's that if you intend to do any driving on a cold sunny day with no snow on the road, it's WINTER tires that you need. Umm ... a thousand dollar Subaru? It would probably cost at least that much to keep it running throughout the winter!

fasterthanrays
09-21-10, 11:45 PM
It's not so much that we need snow tires, it's that if you intend to do any driving on a cold sunny day with no snow on the road, it's WINTER tires that you need. Umm ... a thousand dollar Subaru? It would probably cost at least that much to keep it running throughout the winter!

I have no idea what you're saying. But you can drive your V on a clear 0 degree day on the stock PS2s with no problems. Just don't expect it to grip when you hit it. You WILL need snow tires ie blizzaks or equivalent if you're planning on driving in the snow. I, for one, wouldn't want to risk it in the snow, which is why I would and do have a cheap AWD vehicle with snow tires for the winter/snow. If I did plan to drive in the snow, I wouldn't have gotten the V in the first place.

Oh and I've spent 0 dollars on repairs for my thousand dollar Subaru. Your results may vary.

New Bee In New York
09-22-10, 12:01 AM
I have no idea what you're saying. But you can drive your V on a clear 0 degree day on the stock PS2s with no problems. Just don't expect it to grip when you hit it. You WILL need snow tires ie blizzaks or equivalent if you're planning on driving in the snow. I, for one, wouldn't want to risk it in the snow, which is why I would and do have a cheap AWD vehicle with snow tires for the winter/snow. If I did plan to drive in the snow, I wouldn't have gotten the V in the first place.

Oh and I've spent 0 dollars on repairs for my thousand dollar Subaru. Your results may vary.PS2's are high performance SUMMER tires. If you think you can drive SUMMER tires in zero degree temps "with no problems" then I understand why you "have no idea" what I'm saying.

fasterthanrays
09-22-10, 01:46 AM
PS2's are high performance SUMMER tires. If you think you can drive SUMMER tires in zero degree temps "with no problems" then I understand why you "have no idea" what I'm saying.

So what you're saying is that if you pull out of your driveway with PS2s in clear zero degree weather you will automatically slide into a pole? If so then you can't drive. There's a big difference between snow driving and dry weather driving regardless of temperature. Of course you can't drive like you're doing a HPDE event, but grip won't be reduced to the point where driving 'normal' would be dangerous.

To the OP: I'm not saying to drive with PS2s in the winter unless you get no snow at all. I live in a hilly CT area and even if I had snow tires on my V, I wouldn't take it out in the snow. But I will take it out with the PS2s whenever the roads are clear regardless of temperature.

Kadonny
09-22-10, 10:45 AM
So what you're saying is that if you pull out of your driveway with PS2s in clear zero degree weather you will automatically slide into a pole? If so then you can't drive. There's a big difference between snow driving and dry weather driving regardless of temperature. Of course you can't drive like you're doing a HPDE event, but grip won't be reduced to the point where driving 'normal' would be dangerous.

To the OP: I'm not saying to drive with PS2s in the winter unless you get no snow at all. I live in a hilly CT area and even if I had snow tires on my V, I wouldn't take it out in the snow. But I will take it out with the PS2s whenever the roads are clear regardless of temperature.

Before I got my Sottozeros, I did in fact drive on the PS2s in cold weather. While I agree they can be pretty safe in 20 degrees and over, I found anything colder than that the tires became very slick. Can you pull out of your driveway and not hit a pole? Of course. Do you have to drive like a HPDE event to feel insecure with the tires in that cold weather? No. While you can still drive the car with the stockers on it, in no way do you feel as safe or confident as you would if you had winter tires on it. The PS2s just chatter like hell in the cold weather, especially when doing parking lot maneuvers.

Z06ified
09-22-10, 11:56 AM
But you can drive your V on a clear 0 degree day on the stock PS2s with no problems. Just don't expect it to grip when you hit it. You WILL need snow tires ie blizzaks or equivalent if you're planning on driving in the snow. I, for one, wouldn't want to risk it in the snow, which is why I would and do have a cheap AWD vehicle with snow tires for the winter/snow. If I did plan to drive in the snow, I wouldn't have gotten the V in the first place.

I agree 100%. I live in NY, but I own a '99 Suburban 4x4 which I use in the snow. But I still drive my V and my Z06 in the winter and the extreme cold, just only when the roads are dry, clear, and free of salt, with the stock PS2s. I just wouldn't drive either one in the snow.

In the extreme cold, you'll get the crab walking in parking lot maneuvers, but so what? It's harmless. You'll also have a significant loss of grip when accelerating hard, but I don't think it's dangerous like driving in the snow is. Light 'em up in 4th at 60? yeah, you can do that in the cold. Just be aware of it, and you'll be fine. Curiously, I only found a slight loss in lateral grip (cornering) in the cold. Most of the loss of grip in the PS2s in the cold is found while accelerating, not cornering.

But if you drive in the snow, you MUST get snow tires. If there is even a chance of snow where you live and the V is your only car, you MUST get snow tires.

BeagleBrains
09-22-10, 12:54 PM
PS2's are high performance SUMMER tires. If you think you can drive SUMMER tires in zero degree temps "with no problems" then I understand why you "have no idea" what I'm saying.
PS2s and any Snow Tire have the same design criteria. They become most effective at the seasonal temperature limit to establish the correct road compliability for the best traction. PS2 is softer in summer temperatures; Snow Tires are soft and should only be mounted when winter temperatures are predominate; this is stated in the Tire Rack discussions for tires such as Blazzak.

Vrocks
09-22-10, 05:49 PM
Before I got my Sottozeros, I did in fact drive on the PS2s in cold weather. While I agree they can be pretty safe in 20 degrees and over, I found anything colder than that the tires became very slick. Can you pull out of your driveway and not hit a pole? Of course. Do you have to drive like a HPDE event to feel insecure with the tires in that cold weather? No. While you can still drive the car with the stockers on it, in no way do you feel as safe or confident as you would if you had winter tires on it. The PS2s just chatter like hell in the cold weather, especially when doing parking lot maneuvers.
I had the exact same experience that you described above this past winter.

I won't take the V out in snow so I'm not buying snow tires. I'm too cheap to buy winter tires and I also don't want to deal with having them mounted, etc... just because the PS2 aren't the best cold tire. I made it through last winter and while they don't grip in the cold like they do on 80 degree days, they're more than fine and safe.

thebigjimsho
09-23-10, 09:25 PM
I agree 100%. I live in NY, but I own a '99 Suburban 4x4 which I use in the snow. But I still drive my V and my Z06 in the winter and the extreme cold, just only when the roads are dry, clear, and free of salt, with the stock PS2s. I just wouldn't drive either one in the snow.

In the extreme cold, you'll get the crab walking in parking lot maneuvers, but so what? It's harmless. You'll also have a significant loss of grip when accelerating hard, but I don't think it's dangerous like driving in the snow is. Light 'em up in 4th at 60? yeah, you can do that in the cold. Just be aware of it, and you'll be fine. Curiously, I only found a slight loss in lateral grip (cornering) in the cold. Most of the loss of grip in the PS2s in the cold is found while accelerating, not cornering.

But if you drive in the snow, you MUST get snow tires. If there is even a chance of snow where you live and the V is your only car, you MUST get snow tires.
We didn't get much snow in Boston last winter. So I got to drive the V a lot. To me, the loss of cold grip isn't near the loss of grip driving in the rain. The same principles apply. Just take it easy...