: Why can't GM allow Cadillac to go ALL-OUT with just ONE vehicle?

Lord Cadillac
09-18-10, 05:23 PM
Why? Why can't Cadillac have ONE vehicle to go ALL-OUT on in regards to research, development and marketing money? If they can't afford to do this with a flagship type vehicle, why not a bread and butter vehicle like the upcoming ATS? I'm sure this would open the eyes of many luxury buyers who don't consider Cadillac right now...

RippyPartsDept
09-18-10, 05:44 PM
i would assume that leadership isn't very strong right now due to the bankruptcy and restructuring
i hope they do go all out though

i don't think they need to (they sure don't think they need to or they would)
but i think they should

sven914
09-22-10, 12:43 PM
From what I've seen in new General Motors products and new cars in general, being the best GM owned manufacture would be like being the world's tallest midget; sure you're the world's best at producing overpriced crap, but you still have to get your cloths from the children's section...

Lord Cadillac
10-16-10, 06:06 PM
Does anyone else have an opinion?

Jesda
10-16-10, 06:17 PM
Something strongly inspired by the sixteen would have happened if not for the bankruptcy. I remember there being a lot of talk at gm years ago about how the project was going to turn into a real car.

RippyPartsDept
10-16-10, 06:43 PM
wikipedia's info on the sixteen seem to say so too... although it's of course outdated ... someone should go over there and update that wiki article
or even better... copy it and update it into our wiki here ;)

V-Eight
10-16-10, 06:47 PM
Something strongly inspired by the sixteen would have happened if not for the bankruptcy. I remember there being a lot of talk at gm years ago about how the project was going to turn into a real car.

That would have been really exciting. I hope something like that comes out soon.

Lord Cadillac
10-16-10, 07:08 PM
Now that's an idea I like...

wikipedia's info on the sixteen seem to say so too... although it's of course outdated ... someone should go over there and update that wiki article
or even better... copy it and update it into our wiki here ;)

RippyPartsDept
10-16-10, 07:42 PM
i can do the busywork and get it started (well not right now - i'm heading out the door)
but i'm not really a 'content' guy (and don't have enough knowledge of the sixteen to flush out that article)

Lord Cadillac
10-16-10, 10:55 PM
When you get the time, whatever you an contribute would be great. We can always build on it later. :)

i can do the busywork and get it started (well not right now - i'm heading out the door)
but i'm not really a 'content' guy (and don't have enough knowledge of the sixteen to flush out that article)

Playdrv4me
10-16-10, 11:57 PM
Why? Why can't Cadillac have ONE vehicle to go ALL-OUT on in regards to research, development and marketing money? If they can't afford to do this with a flagship type vehicle, why not a bread and butter vehicle like the upcoming ATS? I'm sure this would open the eyes of many luxury buyers who don't consider Cadillac right now...

What's amusing is that GM *did* allow this... with a Chevrolet. We call it the ZR-1.

Funny how Cadillac seems to take a back seat to Chevrolet when you think about it that way, eh?

Lord Cadillac
10-17-10, 12:01 AM
THAT is another sore subject altogether. :o

What's amusing is that GM *did* allow this... with a Chevrolet. We call it the ZR-1.

Funny how Cadillac seems to take a back seat to Chevrolet when you think about it that way, eh?

Stingroo
10-17-10, 01:42 AM
Because Chevrolet sells more cars - and makes them more money.

Playdrv4me
10-17-10, 01:45 AM
Because Chevrolet sells more cars - and makes them more money.

By that logic, Fiat should produce more exclusive vehicles than Maserati...

Stingroo
10-17-10, 01:49 AM
That's not all of it though. The ZR1 is also a racing endeavor. The new ALMS cars are based on the ZR1.

Bro-Ham
10-17-10, 01:50 AM
A halo never hurts. Cadillac isn't anything many people dream about these days. In the days of the magical Coupe deVille, back in the day, EVERYONE wanted one - not only car nuts. Time for some thinking outside of the box. The timing is so right for Cadillac to do this. Can they make it happen? I sure hope so. :)

77CDV
10-17-10, 02:22 AM
What Cadillac (and GM in general) needs is a cohesive, singular product line. Right now, we have a random collection of divisions, each with a random collection of vehicles. Of them all, Chevy has it together the most in this respect, in that it's product line is continuous and smoothly progressive. Ideally, each division should have a smooth progression upwards through its model range, and each division should transition smoothly to the next highest division, both in terms of models offered and in price. It's what GM used to do, but that was when GM was, you know, successful.

Alfred Sloan, Harlow Curtice, and Harley Earl are spinning in their graves.