: 2009-2010 recall

C "T" ess
09-18-10, 08:40 AM
I just received this in my in box this morning. I thought I'd give you guys a heads up. I have also posted this on the 2nd gen list where I am a member.

NHTSA Campaign ID number : 10V414000

Vehicle Make / Model: Model Year(s):
CADILLAC / CTS 2009-2010
CADILLAC / CTS-V 2009-2010
Manufacturer: GENERAL MOTORS CORP. Mfr's Report Date: SEP 13, 2010
NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number: 10V414000
N/A
NHTSA Action Number: N/A
Component: AIR BAGS:KNEE BOLSTER
Potential Number of Units Affected: 20224
Summary:
GM IS RECALLING CERTAIN MODEL YEAR 2009-2010 CADILLAC CTS ALL WHEEL DRIVE AND CTS-V VEHICLES FOR FAILING TO COMPLY WITH THE REQUIREMENTS OF FEDERAL MOTOR VEHICLE SAFETY STANDARD NO. 208, ¿OCCUPANT CRASH PROTECTION.¿
Consequence:
IN THE EVENT OF A CRASH, THE FRONT PASSENGER MAY BE AT AN INCREASED RISK OF LEG INJURY.
Remedy:
DEALERS WILL REPLACE THE GLOVE COMPARTMENT ASSEMBLY AND, IN SOME VEHICLES MODIFY THE INSTRUMENT PANEL STRUCTURE. THIS SERVICE WILL BE PERFORMED FREE OF CHARGE. THE SAFETY RECALL IS EXPECTED TO BEGIN ON OR BEFORE OCTOBER 20, 2010. OWNERS MAY CONTACT CADILLAC AT 1-866-982-2339.
Notes:
GM'S SAFETY RECALL NO. IS N100292. OWNERS MAY ALSO CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION'S VEHICLE SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), OR GO TO HTTP://WWW.SAFERCAR.GOV .

snzuloz
09-18-10, 08:43 AM
Thanks for the heads up.

andrewperez
09-18-10, 08:55 AM
Thanks T

Razorecko
09-18-10, 11:20 AM
oh gawd, can you imagine the problems with dash noise, etc you'll have if you have the dealership do this

Domsz06
09-18-10, 01:01 PM
interesting to see what they do. Let us know who has it fixed how it's handled......

wfo
09-18-10, 01:35 PM
Thanks for the post.

neuronbob
09-18-10, 05:21 PM
oh gawd, can you imagine the problems with dash noise, etc you'll have if you have the dealership do this

Exactly what I was thinking.

Even so, I'll do it when the time comes if my car is involved. Thanks for the head's up.

RapidRob
09-18-10, 06:40 PM
Thanks for the post!

This is a recall, so I'm guessing Cadillac is supposed to contact all affected customers - correct?

Rob

Domsz06
09-18-10, 06:42 PM
Guess I should count my blessings. My car has 31k on the clock and I have zero noise and have no issues taking it to a dealer for anything....

demorgan59
09-18-10, 07:48 PM
Thanks, but no thanks.

Club Malibu
09-19-10, 12:08 AM
No way is anybody touching my car for that!!!!!!!!!!!

wait4me
09-19-10, 10:29 AM
They probably just cut stuff to make it weaker so it absorbs impact better, we will see i guess.. Also the new part they put in would be softer?? Sounds like a job they should let a customer do if they ask, as i see lots of complaints comming our way.. A dirty shop guy laying on my carpet.......

OldRoadDawg
09-19-10, 01:01 PM
Meh....

Just don't let any '5th percentile females' sit in the front passenger seat, with the seat adjusted all the way forward, and NOT wearing a seat belt... :tisk: and you're good.

http://nhthqnwws112.odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/acms/docservlet/Artemis/Public/Recalls/2010/V/RCMN-10V414-4538.pdf

4gear70
09-19-10, 02:56 PM
Meh....

Just don't let any '5th percentile females' sit in the front passenger seat, with the seat adjusted all the way forward, and NOT wearing a seat belt... :tisk: and you're good.

http://nhthqnwws112.odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/acms/docservlet/Artemis/Public/Recalls/2010/V/RCMN-10V414-4538.pdf

This is so frivolous. The kicker is the NOT wearing the seat belt part.

No way is anybody touching my car for that!!!!!!!!!!!

Exactly!!

Teutonaddict
09-19-10, 04:36 PM
Meh....

Thanks for putting this into perspective, Dawg. I'll pass on the dealer modifications, thanks.

Passengers don't ride in my V unless they're belted up.

BTW, 5th Percentile Female (crash test dummy) is 4'11" and 108#.

http://www.nhtsa.gov/Research/Hybrid+III+5th+Percentile+Female

Domsz06
09-19-10, 06:09 PM
Thanks for putting this into perspective, Dawg. I'll pass on the dealer modifications, thanks.

Passengers don't ride in my V unless they're belted up.

BTW, 5th Percentile Female (crash test dummy) is 4'11" and 108#.

http://www.nhtsa.gov/Research/Hybrid+III+5th+Percentile+Female

isn't the simple fix to just make sure your seat is back and they are belted up IF they are that small? Kinda a no brainer to me, think I'll skip this SB

Gary Wells
09-19-10, 09:33 PM
They can recall or Service Bulletin all they want to, I am not going to turn in my car for this. I would rather take my chances on this than put myself through the agony of what some of the others on this forum have gone through with customer service, poor repairs, poor attitudes of the dealerships & their mechanics. They're going to pull out some of our dash, repair something, and then put the dash back together without the car inheriting any more squeaks and / or rattles. Yea, sure.

GMX322V S/C
09-20-10, 03:38 AM
We can thank the mouth-breating morons that don't belt up for making air bags statistically more dangerous for all of us. The manufacturers had to increase the air bag deployment rate to compensate for unbelted drivers. Why not just let Darwinism run its course?

OldRoadDawg
09-20-10, 08:54 AM
They're going to pull out some of our dash, repair something, and then put the dash back together without the car inheriting any more squeaks and / or rattles. Yea, sure.
Aw-w... Gary, you worry too much.
The dealership will have you in and out before lunch.... :histeric:http://i599.photobucket.com/albums/tt80/dawgpics_photos/Miscellaneous/SimpleRepair.jpg

Gary Wells
09-20-10, 11:01 AM
I was just getting ready to go have breakfast, now I am not too sure that it will stay down. That's a scary picture. I mean that if you ever would expect to see that car back together in one piece, it's scary.

Domsz06
09-20-10, 12:32 PM
bwhahahahahahahahah way to give gary an ulcer!!!

4gear70
09-20-10, 04:19 PM
Some pretty funny comments about it over at the following article too:

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/09/20/cadillac-recalling-cts-and-cts-v-over-risk-to-passenger-knees/#comments

New Bee In New York
09-20-10, 09:03 PM
Meh....

Thank God!! An acceptable remedy that doesn't require dealer intervention. Thank you OldRoadDawg. :cheers:

Tags63
09-20-10, 09:11 PM
Hey New Bee In NY...where exactly are ya in NY? I'm out on LI.

Paul

New Bee In New York
09-20-10, 09:27 PM
Hey New Bee In NY...where exactly are ya in NY? I'm out on LI.

Paul

In the White Plains area in a village called Irvington. Just a mile or so south of the Tappan Zee Bridge.

Charlie

Club Malibu
10-23-10, 07:01 PM
Just got my recall letter in the mail today. I already have an appointment to take the car into the dealership for its scheduled oil change this upcoming Tuesday. (just so there's no warranty issues years from now...).

I'm telling them I do not want this recall performed. If they insist and force me to do it, I'm leaving. I'll let you all know...

neuronbob
10-23-10, 07:04 PM
I also received my recall notice in the mail this afternoon. Club Malibu beat me by a couple of minutes there.

My glovebox just started sqeaking in cold weather about 500 miles ago, so the notice comes with good timing. If they have to replace it anyway.....

Tony407
10-23-10, 07:48 PM
Thanks for all the very good info and comments everyone! I'm not letting the dealership do this to my car either. 90% of the time I am the only one in the car and I've never allowed anyone to ride with me that wasn't seat belted.

Tony

Gary Wells
10-23-10, 08:03 PM
I am so confident in the Caddy dealers in my area that I took my CTS-V to my local Buick dealer to do the 1st oil change to avoid getting another flag on my monthly On-Star report. And they just bought out the Caddy dealer around the corner, too.

CTS NV
10-23-10, 09:01 PM
So had anyone got the fix done yet? I don't want to be first...:hide:

Thomas H
10-23-10, 09:11 PM
Received my notification on Friday. Manufactured 10/09 vin ends in 14374.

RapidRob
10-23-10, 10:28 PM
No letter received here yet - Manuf. 02/2009.

Rob

cbloveday
10-23-10, 10:32 PM
I am scheduled for wednesday @ 8AM. I will let you know what all needs to be done and how the appt goes.

baabootoo
10-24-10, 01:32 AM
Please do. I'm debating whether to take it in or not right away.

Gary Wells
10-24-10, 08:01 AM
I am scheduled for wednesday @ 8AM. I will let you know what all needs to be done and how the appt goes.

You're a brave man, Curtis, but I know that you have a very reputable dealer and have the utmost faith in them.
Hope all's well with you & family.

lavaman
10-24-10, 09:19 AM
My car had it done last week when it went in for an axle spline noise issue. I was told they replaced the glove box.

I see no change and the box is quiet as a mouse. There appears to be no modification... just a new door (maybe)... not sure though. No biggie.

NC_Cadzilla
10-24-10, 09:27 AM
finally got mine in the mail yesterday...

gnxs
10-24-10, 10:18 AM
Yea, I got this a few days ago.

Do I really have to get this done? I'm always wary of letting the dealer fiddle around with parts that aren't giving me any issues. And since the seat belt chime is so annoying, even if somebody was contemplating going belt-less in my car, they wouldn't be that way for long.

tbss08
10-24-10, 05:47 PM
Just got my recall letter in the mail Saturday. Calling on Monday for an appointment.

ewill3rd
10-25-10, 08:33 AM
I have done one, but not on a V. It is pretty straightforward but it does require some TLC.
The glove box is removed and destroyed. A segment of the magnesium support bracing is removed and a reinforced glove box is installed after making some other modifications.
The only issue is cutting the bracket, the car must be protected so that the magnesium doesn't go everywhere.
There is no reason to fear squeaks and rattles.

And the photos posted above are ones I took on a car I took apart and put together, there were no squeaks and rattles and no leftover screws.
If you think that is bad I will post some other photos from a warranty job I finished last week.

ewill3rd
10-25-10, 08:53 AM
This is what happens when you try to save money on fuses.
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y161/ewill3rd/PICT6340.jpg

And this is what it takes to fix it.
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y161/ewill3rd/PICT6334.jpg
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y161/ewill3rd/PICT6329.jpg
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y161/ewill3rd/PICT6332.jpg

All back together, everything works, no noises.
I have more pics but you get the drift.

OldRoadDawg
10-25-10, 09:47 AM
All back together, everything works, no noises.

And that's why, for the past 5 yrs, I have driven 3 hrs, one-way, to have Bill work on my V's.

khoeysr
10-25-10, 10:56 AM
As a V Coupe owner who also owned an 09 V, I am wondering what the difference is in the structure in the new cars. For my money the interiors are identical, but i guess this is something you probably can't see.

Just hoping they don't extend this to '11 models.

ewill3rd
10-25-10, 12:46 PM
It has to do with the passenger's legs, the piece you cut out of the magnesium is a small bar across the base of the bottom of the glove box.
I think it doesn't break away properly causing the occupant to suffer leg damage. There are predrilled holes and cuts in the replacement glove box to give way on impact.
I am sure the updated design parts are in current production.

rjoffe
10-25-10, 03:16 PM
Bill,

how much time was in that rebuild ?

And did you expand your domain (i.e. get an extra bay for the duration ?)

rjoffe
10-25-10, 03:17 PM
Bill,

how much time was in that rebuild ?

And did you expand your domain (i.e. get an extra bay for the duration ?)

ewill3rd
10-25-10, 06:18 PM
I clocked about 30 hours on it, I have 2 bays now so one was used for parts and one for the car. I road tested it today and fixed one small item that also needed attention. The folding top switch was bad and I had to wait for it to arrive today.
My new helper was working with me and everything went really well. The car was pretty dirty when we started. I found all kinds of stuff including a whole clove of garlic and a bottle of mouthwash, lots of CD's, some laundry, and plenty of leaves and dirt. We vacuumed off all the carpets before reassembly.
The car is not well maintained I am afraid. :/

dqw1
10-25-10, 06:34 PM
Got my recall notice today. Has anyone figured out what fixes the center console creaks?

Gary Wells
10-25-10, 08:08 PM
Got mine today. Don't know what consequences I will have to pay for this, but I am not letting them near my car. Not while I am alive anyhow.

ewill3rd
10-25-10, 08:34 PM
There is no opt out in this recall yet.
If your dealers follow procedure this recall will be completed if parts are on hand.
You had best be clear about not wanting it done and get ready for a fight.
It really isn't something that would cause noises or damage, there is room for error and if someone is not careful they could damage something else or get magnesium dust everywhere.

Gary Wells
10-25-10, 09:18 PM
There is no opt out in this recall yet.
If your dealers follow procedure this recall will be completed if parts are on hand.
You had best be clear about not wanting it done and get ready for a fight.
It really isn't something that would cause noises or damage, there is room for error and if someone is not careful they could damage something else or get magnesium dust everywhere.

Bill:
I sincerely appreciate all that you do for the forum and the forum members and i know that your heart is in the right place, and I don't want to be considered to be rude, crude, and socially unacceptable, but I am so afraid of being jerked around by the Cad dealers out here that I took my '09 CTS-V in for it's first oil change at a:...........
GM *Buick dealer* in my area that have changed fluids on my vette and my turbo Buick for about 10 years now without any hiccups. They tolerate me and let me go back and talk to the *mechanic* and make sure that my car is coming along OK whenever I want. They get me in and out real quick because they don't want me talking to the other customers and telling them about all of the war stories about *dealers* that I read on the internet. Now that's service above and beyond. But I do appreciate your concern. And I wished that I lived in your area so you could work on my car, but that is not the case. Again, thanks for all that you and the few other great Cad technicians do for us on the forum. I would not want you to think that we are not aware of it or don't appreciate it.

ewill3rd
10-26-10, 08:23 AM
Gary, with all the changes over the years you can have any GM dealer work on your car. Some don't like to do "cross line" warranty but they will.
Having worked on about every GM carline over the past 2 decades at one time or another I know a lot about all of them so I don't hesitate to work on anything I can get parts for, although on some I am a bit slow without specific model experience.
I understand that not everyone is like me and every place is not like Lindsay, heck I have worked at some places I wouldn't trust either.
There are talents and hacks in every leg of this industry and you never know what you are going to get.
Sadly, a car like the V makes this even more of a critical issue. Get the wrong guy and you get big problems that are hard to get undone.

Thanks for the reminder, but rarely do I feel unappreciated on this forum.
:D

I hate hearing the horror stories on this forum, but I have seen some even worse first hand. Be glad you haven't seen what I have seen or you wouldn't let anyone work on your car, ever. (except me maybe :lol: )
Heck even some of the stuff I did when I was getting into the business would scare folks off.
I have worked for some decent people who helped me and gave me a chance when I needed it and I have been lucky in that they have always stood behind me and backed me up when I made a mistake. I even offered to pay a few times but they haven't made me do that.

thatcoder
10-26-10, 09:27 AM
Bill, when are you available to work on my recall? I got my letter in the mail yesterday. My service writer (Alex Logsdon) left you, and James Pollack hasn't responded to my emails lately. I wonder if he is still your boss.

thatcoder
10-26-10, 09:31 AM
Also, there was this recall I did on my 2008 ESV Platinum dealing with a washer container.. i was to get a $100 check from Cadillac. this was 6/30/2010. No money yet. My guess is I'll never see a dime.

RapidRob
10-26-10, 06:13 PM
Received my letter yesterday. My guess is they may try to do this when my new wheels finally arrive, (wheel clicking issue ..), and an appointment is made to have them installed. I'll discuss it with them at that time, but like some here, I'd rather not have them doing the recall work on my copy. Nobody rides in my car unbuckled.

Rob

Gary Wells
10-26-10, 09:09 PM
they can have my car for that recall when they can pry my cold dead hands from around the steering wheel.

ewill3rd
10-26-10, 09:32 PM
coder,

James is still running the show, when did you email him?
He was out sick on Monday and things are hectic with the new computer system.
If you can get in touch with him he can check on the status of your check. I can tell you that the check should be issued by our accounting department and not by Cadillac or GM but the procedure for us being able to even cut the checks is pretty unreal, you wouldn't believe it. Don't lose hope, and possibly James could check on the status of the funds somehow, I am not sure about that so don't take what I tell you as gospel.

I am pretty slammed right now but if you want to call and make an appointment and then send me a message either via PM on here or through email (ewill3rd at lindsaycadillac dot com) and verify that you are coming at a certain day and time and I will try to be ready. Did we order your glove box already?
If not I need to do that first, availability is limited and I have to get one coming first.
I also am trying to find a better way to cut the bracket, my current method sucks pretty badly, not that it affects the car, it just means I have more trouble cutting it.

Please email me any time and I will look into everything for you.

neuronbob
10-26-10, 10:07 PM
I just mentioned the recall to my wife, who always rides shotgun in my car. I mentioned the non-breakaway magnesium bar and the possibility of leg injury on the (never) event she forgets to belt up.

She said, and I quote: "So when are you going to the dealer? You ARE getting this done."

OK, honey. Only if I get to go to the track again in the next coupla weeks. :)

snzuloz
10-26-10, 10:27 PM
Time to show her who wears the pants in the family! oh gotta go my wifes calling....

khoeysr
10-27-10, 09:49 AM
time to show her who wears the pants in the family! Oh gotta go my wifes calling....

lol.

Club Malibu
10-27-10, 06:30 PM
Went to the dealer for the oil change. I mentioned how I didn't want my glove box replaced for the recall. The service guy told me that the dealership didn't even have them in yet. End of discussion. We'll see what happens next time.

Titaniumseeker
10-27-10, 08:17 PM
I have done one, but not on a V. It is pretty straightforward but it does require some TLC.
The glove box is removed and destroyed. A segment of the magnesium support bracing is removed and a reinforced glove box is installed after making some other modifications.
The only issue is cutting the bracket, the car must be protected so that the magnesium doesn't go everywhere.
There is no reason to fear squeaks and rattles.

And the photos posted above are ones I took on a car I took apart and put together, there were no squeaks and rattles and no leftover screws.
If you think that is bad I will post some other photos from a warranty job I finished last week.

This is precisely why I will only have you work on my car when I schedule it for this recall. Last time in one of the attendants parked the car front first across the street instead of bringing it into the service lane. This after gunning the engine from the garage to the parking spot. The outcome? New Hennessey CF wrap replacements for the front lip where he scuffed them on the parking block. I trust noone one but you with my vehicle.

Club Malibu
10-27-10, 08:48 PM
I trust noone one but you with my vehicle.

I totally understand when it comes to giving your keys to a mechanic. We should start a "trusted mechanic" thread or all out forum that will list by name only trusted mechanics. Mine is Jim at Holman Cadillac in NJ.

ewill3rd
10-27-10, 08:59 PM
Titanium, thanks for the compliment. I always try to remember to treat the car like it ISN'T mine.
I have a new helper but he is not allowed to drive the V's, only I can drive them, if you don't ask for me you might not get me so...
You local guys to me be sure I know you are coming, if you don't have my email addy, PM me and I will give it to you.

I know about those carbon wraps, and I always keep an eye on them.