: Tinting of Sunroof and Windows

jmskinz
09-18-10, 04:08 AM
Does anybody have any experience with tinting of their sunroofs? I'm getting my new V soon and I have been thinking about tinting not only the sunroof, but also all the windows. This will be my first tint job on one of my cars and I'm wondering what you all suggest in regards to tint levels (5%, 20%, etc..) as well as experience with tinting sunroofs (Positive and Negatives). Pictures with you cars and tint levels would be greatly appreciated. I'm looking into either 5% or 20% on the back three windows and 35% on driver and passenger doors in the front. Thanks!

Gary Wells
09-18-10, 07:29 AM
Does anybody have any experience with tinting of their sunroofs? I'm getting my new V soon and I have been thinking about tinting not only the sunroof, but also all the windows. This will be my first tint job on one of my cars and I'm wondering what you all suggest in regards to tint levels (5%, 20%, etc..) as well as experience with tinting sunroofs (Positive and Negatives). Pictures with you cars and tint levels would be greatly appreciated. I'm looking into either 5% or 20% on the back three windows and 35% on driver and passenger doors in the front. Thanks!

A search under the term "ultraview", "sunroof", "moonroof", and / or "tint" might be very worthwhile / beneficial as at least 1 forum member already had a very bad experience with the tinter / installer leaning on the roof, which is aluminum, and leaving lots of handful size dents (area wise, not depth wise) in the roof. Then they denied any wrongdoing. There are pics with the post.

Domsz06
09-18-10, 01:09 PM
search is your friend.

I have my v 15% all around with ceramic, and then a 5% eyebrow and a 5% sunroof. all of it is Pinnacle.

The darkness is all personal preference. On my vette I have limo, and I Love it, but as far as a Daily driver it's too dark for me.

I'm sold on the ceramic, it really does make things cooler in the car.

Just make sure you have a legit installer perform it, and tell them to stay off the roof. I love mine, no issues what so ever.

fyi do NOT do different levels on the passenger and driver. I think it looks aweful! but it's all personal preference.

Domsz06
09-18-10, 01:19 PM
here is my v with 15 and my z with limo... (5%)

http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t216/domsz06/CTS-V/DSC01020.jpg

http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t216/domsz06/CTS-V/DSC01018.jpg

http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t216/domsz06/CTS-V/DSC01012.jpg

http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t216/domsz06/CTS-V/DSC01021.jpg

Domsz06
09-18-10, 01:20 PM
ugh, not sure why it didn't work...

sybersport
09-18-10, 06:35 PM
I got Ceramic 15% all around, and I love it. During the day, it's perfect. At night, it's a little difficult to see what's going on around me, but not that bad.

jmskinz
09-18-10, 11:25 PM
search is your friend.

I have my v 15% all around with ceramic, and then a 5% eyebrow and a 5% sunroof. all of it is Pinnacle.

The darkness is all personal preference. On my vette I have limo, and I Love it, but as far as a Daily driver it's too dark for me.

I'm sold on the ceramic, it really does make things cooler in the car.

Just make sure you have a legit installer perform it, and tell them to stay off the roof. I love mine, no issues what so ever.

fyi do NOT do different levels on the passenger and driver. I think it looks aweful! but it's all personal preference.

Sweet rides! I live in california so legally I shouldn't even tint the driver and passenger windows but I still want to do just a bit lighter then the back. So you think having 20% on back window and back two passenger windows with 35% at driver and front passenger window would look pretty bad?

paul34
09-18-10, 11:57 PM
It looks best to have a uniform tint all around. Also consider whether you want to keep it legal or not. Otherwise, 20% is generally considered the limit of the darkest you want to go if you care about having good night time visibility. I recommend not only making sure you get a good installer, but also using a good ceramic-based film. These will be considerably more expensive, but are some of the best. It offers high amounts of solar energy rejection combined with superior clarity (i.e., it offers great heat rejection without having to make a really dark film). They will also last a long time.

5%/limo tint is a personal preference. Sometimes it looks all right, but some people consider it very tacky/ghetto/ricey. It's your car, however, so do what makes you happy.

35/20 won't look bad. As you said, you do live in CA, so you have to be careful - definitely don't want to end up with a fix it ticket then ahve to remove all that expensive tint!

A tip... opening up the shade on the sunroof can make your window tint appear much lighter than it actually is, since there is more light from the inside of the car going out. This can help when in a high LE density area. However, if they already lit you up, don't try to get out of it because it won't work :)

aburd
09-19-10, 11:06 AM
man i want that z. my fav color, wheels combo.

Domsz06
09-19-10, 12:28 PM
Sweet rides! I live in california so legally I shouldn't even tint the driver and passenger windows but I still want to do just a bit lighter then the back. So you think having 20% on back window and back two passenger windows with 35% at driver and front passenger window would look pretty bad?

It's illegal in TX and I still do it. I had limo on all my cars in Cali when I lived there since Bako is so damn hot, but never had an issue. if you don't mind living on the edge tint what you want, I never got harassed for just tint.

If you so choose maybe 15 on the back and 20 or 25 on the front? wouldn't look as bad.

Thanks for the compliments.... :D

Domsz06
09-19-10, 12:30 PM
man i want that z. my fav color, wheels combo.

thanks ;) she is a fun car to drive, esp since she isn't stock he he he ;)

Domsz06
09-19-10, 12:31 PM
It looks best to have a uniform tint all around. Also consider whether you want to keep it legal or not. Otherwise, 20% is generally considered the limit of the darkest you want to go if you care about having good night time visibility. I recommend not only making sure you get a good installer, but also using a good ceramic-based film. These will be considerably more expensive, but are some of the best. It offers high amounts of solar energy rejection combined with superior clarity (i.e., it offers great heat rejection without having to make a really dark film). They will also last a long time.

5%/limo tint is a personal preference. Sometimes it looks all right, but some people consider it very tacky/ghetto/ricey. It's your car, however, so do what makes you happy.

35/20 won't look bad. As you said, you do live in CA, so you have to be careful - definitely don't want to end up with a fix it ticket then ahve to remove all that expensive tint!

A tip... opening up the shade on the sunroof can make your window tint appear much lighter than it actually is, since there is more light from the inside of the car going out. This can help when in a high LE density area. However, if they already lit you up, don't try to get out of it because it won't work :)

knock on wood the 5 times I have been pulled over I always roll down both front windows before they come up, not one word about the tint... *Knocking on wood*

PremierJosh
09-19-10, 12:42 PM
I would keep the front and back doors the same. Even if you decide to go with 35% or 28% just keep it uniform.

paul34
09-19-10, 02:24 PM
knock on wood the 5 times I have been pulled over I always roll down both front windows before they come up, not one word about the tint... *Knocking on wood*

I hope your luck continues. I always found tint laws pretty silly... but that's another topic for another thread.

By the way, my compliments on your Z and V.

Domsz06
09-19-10, 05:58 PM
I hope your luck continues. I always found tint laws pretty silly... but that's another topic for another thread.

By the way, my compliments on your Z and V.

thank you... and as I see your young age as well, I can say I have had limo ever since I was 16, and still *knocking on wood* have yet to be even pulled over, let alone cited.

I think a lot of it is on how you drive... Don't get me wrong, I'll never say I don't drive hard n fast, but I don't do it wrecklessly like a lot of, no offense, younger people do. Maybe that has something to do with it.

oh well I'll keep on doing it and will see what happens... (I also refuse to put a front plate on too lol ) ;)

Domsz06
09-19-10, 05:58 PM
I would keep the front and back doors the same. Even if you decide to go with 35% or 28% just keep it uniform.

i agree.....

Gary Wells
09-19-10, 09:03 PM
I would agree on keeping the tint percentage the same also.
On another note, beautiful cars, Sean, color matched too.

Domsz06
09-19-10, 09:06 PM

Thank you gary. :)

I love silver (bet you couldn't figure that one out lol ;) )

jmskinz
09-19-10, 11:42 PM

Gary,

you live in Cali. What % do you have on your V? Back and side windows?

A556HPV
09-20-10, 08:00 AM
One word of caution about tinting the sunroof. When I asked to have my sunroof tinted they had to call a glass manufacture because some glass will absorb so much heat they crack. I was told I could not have limo tint because this glass is susceptible to this condition. They would not warranty the glass if it cracks.

Domsz06
09-20-10, 08:35 AM
One word of caution about tinting the sunroof. When I asked to have my sunroof tinted they had to call a glass manufacture because some glass will absorb so much heat they crack. I was told I could not have limo tint because this glass is susceptible to this condition. They would not warranty the glass if it cracks.

I don't believe that. If you google it there is lots of older bmw's sun roofs cracking whether they were tinted or not.

It's an automotive grade glass. Isn't it all made the same?

I live in the TX and it's hotter then heck, no issues yet and I have mine limo. When I went to my guy he said he has never heard that, same with my dealer I used in cali...

Gary Wells
09-20-10, 10:35 AM
Gary,

you live in Cali. What % do you have on your V? Back and side windows?

I have no tint on my car. Oops, as a matter of fact, my car is so far bone stock, even regarding visual modifications. I really don't like tint and have never tinted any of my cars. It's an "old man thing" I guess.

cdog533
09-20-10, 01:11 PM
I have 35% on my sides, 20% on the back window, and 20% on the sunroof. I like 20% on the sides, but it can be dark at night, especially if you drive in areas with no street lights.

The 20% on the sunroof might be a little light for some. 5% or 8% up there makes it nice and dark, but I think it can darken up the interior too much. I don't see any problems with tinting the sunroof BUT I did mention to the tinter the story about the elbow marks. He said they wouldn't lean on it.

Domsz06
09-20-10, 02:03 PM
I have 35% on my sides, 20% on the back window, and 20% on the sunroof. I like 20% on the sides, but it can be dark at night, especially if you drive in areas with no street lights.

The 20% on the sunroof might be a little light for some. 5% or 8% up there makes it nice and dark, but I think it can darken up the interior too much. I don't see any problems with tinting the sunroof BUT I did mention to the tinter the story about the elbow marks. He said they wouldn't lean on it.

I love my 5% on the sunroof and eyebrow, really keeps my cab dark and cool. My eyes are very light sensitive. also my tinters did not do any damage to my roof either :)

hamta
09-20-10, 02:26 PM
I love my 5% on the sunroof and eyebrow, really keeps my cab dark and cool. My eyes are very light sensitive. also my tinters did not do any damage to my roof either :)

I had 5% on my sunroof on my 2008 CTS Sedan and it was great. Didn't tint any other of the windows and I had no install problems at all.

paul34
09-20-10, 07:42 PM
I don't believe that. If you google it there is lots of older bmw's sun roofs cracking whether they were tinted or not.

It's an automotive grade glass. Isn't it all made the same?

I live in the TX and it's hotter then heck, no issues yet and I have mine limo. When I went to my guy he said he has never heard that, same with my dealer I used in cali...

As far as I can tell, lots of people also say this. However, I've read on some of those tinting boards that some tinters will no longer do it because they've had people come back with cracked sunroofs that were tinted.

Some people said that you had to use a metallic tint only on the sunroof (since, in theory, a metallic tint reflects heat back rather than holding it like a dyed film... well it's not so much theory, it is one of the reasons behind the great heat rejection properties of a metallic film).

I would tend to agree with the "you should be fine" school of thought... but then again, I have no personal experience to draw on as far as sunroof tinting.

Domsz06
09-20-10, 09:33 PM
Well I don't have dyed film so I'm good to go lol,,,,,

PERSONALLY I THINK it's an old wives tale.....

Tags63
09-20-10, 11:00 PM
Hey Guys!!

I always tint my cars all around to match. It definitely looks great that way. As far as the sunroof goes.....DON'T do it!! I know someone who tinted theres and it got so hot that it blew out the sunroof into pieces.

Paul

Domsz06
09-20-10, 11:47 PM
Hey Guys!!

I always tint my cars all around to match. It definitely looks great that way. As far as the sunroof goes.....DON'T do it!! I know someone who tinted theres and it got so hot that it blew out the sunroof into pieces.

Paul

I know a friend who knows a friend who knows a friend.... :D

just messen with ya. I'll take my chances... The tinter that did mine has had no issues and My tinter in Cali was the same, and it'ss 125+ there and well houston isn't exactly cool....

e6t
09-20-10, 11:51 PM
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4093/4932899355_c0439d93b4_b.jpg

20% all around, 5% on sunroof.

jmskinz
09-21-10, 12:42 AM

CDog,

Do you have any pics? thanks for the input.

cdog533
09-22-10, 01:12 PM
I need to take some.

As for sunroofs getting TOO hot, perhaps that COULD happen under perfect conditions, with a closed moonroof panel. But keep in mind we don't have a thick cardboard moonroof panel under our sunroof. We have a breathable piece of cloth.

Plus, I think this sunroof explosion happened like ONE TIME in Arizona in July to an 84 Sentra and has just been repeated on the internet since. Kinda like the cell phone blows up while fueling thing.

My sunroof doesn't even get very hot in direct sun. But I understand the theory. However, I would think the tinting would make the sunroof LESS likely to explode than a clear sunroof, as the clear one lets all the heat in...

Domsz06
09-22-10, 02:35 PM
I need to take some.

As for sunroofs getting TOO hot, perhaps that COULD happen under perfect conditions, with a closed moonroof panel. But keep in mind we don't have a thick cardboard moonroof panel under our sunroof. We have a breathable piece of cloth.

Plus, I think this sunroof explosion happened like ONE TIME in Arizona in July to an 84 Sentra and has just been repeated on the internet since. Kinda like the cell phone blows up while fueling thing.

My sunroof doesn't even get very hot in direct sun. But I understand the theory. However, I would think the tinting would make the sunroof LESS likely to explode than a clear sunroof, as the clear one lets all the heat in...

well I mean you know the old theroy, "when I do right no one remembers, but when I do wrong no one forgets"

I think it's the exact same thing here. If you have the perfect storm it could crack... but realisically, never gonna happen.

paul34
09-23-10, 12:11 PM
Removed.

BMBSALES
10-30-10, 06:19 PM
i've never had an issue tinting sunroofs in all my cars. i hate them...but they're usually part of a package or on a loaded car. i went with 35% so the passengers can still get that "worldly" panaramic view...lol. buy a convertible if you want to see the stars!