: yess. finally 79" . new run with hankooks v12. no burnou. 940' elevation.

aburd
09-18-10, 01:01 AM
my 60 foot still sucks.

looking forward to 60 degree weather or so.

burd

snzuloz
09-18-10, 08:38 AM
Are you referring to your 60ft time? If so it was 2.0145 secs, the 1.789 is how fast you reacted to the tree. Am I missing something here? Was this setup as a protree?

aburd
09-18-10, 12:14 PM
sorry for the confusion. i have no idea what a protree setup is. my bad. i was just excited that it wasnt 90 degrees and that im starting to shave so time off my pass.

snzuloz
09-18-10, 02:35 PM
Ok now I get it, glad your enjoying it, Ill gladly have your weather!

newcadman
09-18-10, 05:10 PM
If you wish to improve your 60' time you should really try doing a "burn-out" to heat up those hankooks and don't be afraid to drop the tire pressure down to 26-27 psi.

Certainly can't hurt to try it a couple of times and compare it with the 60' times you are currently getting with no burn-out.

You might be pleasantly surprised because you should find that you can launch with more rpm!

Don't forget to turn the T/C off for the burn-out and go around the waterbox and then BACK into it !

Good luck and let us know what difference you find.

aburd
09-18-10, 07:07 PM
thanks for the tips. question.. why pull around and back up ?

FredR
09-18-10, 08:19 PM
By going around the waterbox you aren't getting your front tires wet. Wet front tires will deposit water at the starting line where your back tires will be doing their best to hookup when you launch. I have a friend who put his mustang into the fence by doing this. His rearend spun up with him hard on the gas and he went into the fence sideways. He was lucky that he didn't go into the car he was racing against.

That's why you go around the box and back in.

Ross L
09-18-10, 08:31 PM
I avoid the water box when on street tires. A well prepared track can make all the difference. Burd, did you give your car a good "cool down" or try putting a bag of ice(wrapped in a towel) on manifold cover while in the pits?
Ross

garfin
09-19-10, 12:24 AM
I avoid the water box when on street tires. A well prepared track can make all the difference. Burd, did you give your car a good "cool down" or try putting a bag of ice(wrapped in a towel) on manifold cover while in the pits?
Ross

Yes, exactly... when I used to drag race on street tires, the whole idea was to avoid the water box! Unless things have changed in the last 7-8 years since I last went down the strip, only the guys running slicks would back into the water box, which obviously allowed the tires (with that different compound) to heat up on the burnout and get sticky. As well, a tire with a tread pattern would hold water in the sipes if driven into the water box, which is something that wouldn't help launches.
Again, unless things have changed, we never did burnouts on street tires either at the strip, since getting the compound on a street tire hot, made them slippery at the same time. With a street tire, all we did was spin the rears for a couple of seconds just to clean 'em off before launching.
Has tire technology changed to the point now where it's a good idea to put street tires in the waterbox and do a full burnout on them?

Best regards,

Elie

aburd
09-19-10, 10:56 AM
i did let it cool this time. no ice bags though. i did try a mini burnout and didnt help much. im launching with tc off comp mode and stalling to about 1800 and then hitting it. funny thing is my best time was one of my worst 60 ft times. ive made about 30 passes and all my 60ft times are best 1.9314 to 2.01 range .. so i prob should try something diff. as the temp drops my results get better. thanks for the tips..

4gear70
09-19-10, 03:22 PM
Also, try and shallow stage as much as possible to help lower ET's and gain mph. When you light the pre-stage, just slowly creep up until you can 'just' light the stage light.
Have fun!

newcadman
09-19-10, 03:37 PM
Yes, exactly... when I used to drag race on street tires, the whole idea was to avoid the water box! Unless things have changed in the last 7-8 years since I last went down the strip, only the guys running slicks would back into the water box, which obviously allowed the tires (with that different compound) to heat up on the burnout and get sticky. As well, a tire with a tread pattern would hold water in the sipes if driven into the water box, which is something that wouldn't help launches.
Again, unless things have changed, we never did burnouts on street tires either at the strip, since getting the compound on a street tire hot, made them slippery at the same time. With a street tire, all we did was spin the rears for a couple of seconds just to clean 'em off before launching.
Has tire technology changed to the point now where it's a good idea to put street tires in the waterbox and do a full burnout on them?

Best regards,

Elie

GARFIN--- You mean way "back in the day" when your tricked out (big $$) Camaro SS ran a reported best of 12.80 and your Pontiac Bonneville front wheel drive ran 14.56.
Perhaps if you had done a correct burnout with the "proper" use of the waterbox your times would have been better?

Maybe the best thing for you to do is to re-acquaint and re-educate yourself with the dragstrip.

So, what do you think, can we expect to see your man. V make some dragstrip runs before the season end.
I'm sure some type of video/ pic coverage similar to you at the famed Mosport track can be arranged if you wish?