: My MacBook Pro is shipping from Shanghai, China?

Lord Cadillac
09-17-10, 10:49 AM
I thought these things were "Made in America". Why would it be shipping from China?

Stingroo
09-17-10, 10:58 AM
Don't you know? They think "CN" stands for Connecticut.

Yeah. That's it. Connecticut.

CIWS
09-17-10, 11:20 AM
Foxconn is a large subcontractor to Apple. They are Chinese.

Remember the rash of suicides they were having at the plant in China a few months back ?

drewsdeville
09-17-10, 11:21 AM
:yeah:, Connecticut, though the CN abbreviation is correct for China as well, according to ISO standards.

Wasn't the zip code listed somewhere? Anything outside of the US uses a different format than our 5 digit zip code, using more or less characters and using letters as well as numbers.

gary88
09-17-10, 01:32 PM
When I ordered my MBP two years ago it was assembled in China, Apple has been there for awhile

Jesda
09-17-10, 01:37 PM
They're out of stock at all the US Apple stores so yours had to be special ordered from the one in China.

EcSTSatic
09-17-10, 01:50 PM
Better test it for lead paint :)

CIWS
09-17-10, 03:00 PM
They're out of stock at all the US Apple stores so yours had to be special ordered from the one in China.

Fresh from the oven :yup:

The-Dullahan
09-18-10, 05:42 AM
Some of the fastest China - USA shipping I have ever seen. Trust me, I send a lot/receive a lot from there. Interestingly Hong Kong is faster, but many things never make it to their destination, especially Christmas cards.

V-Eight
09-18-10, 01:56 PM
Designed in America, built in China. My Pro came from there too.

Lord Cadillac
09-18-10, 02:01 PM
And I thought Apple computers were made in California.. Oh well..

RightTurn
09-18-10, 11:40 PM
Sigh. This is like the day I found my SRX was built in Mexico. So much for my "buy American" campaign. :mad:

Playdrv4me
09-19-10, 04:00 AM
Apple does a good job of keeping its manufacturing source relatively on the "down low", even though every Apple thing I've owned, including my iPhones is clearly stamped "Designed by Apple in California - Assembled in China" right in the back. I think a lot of people probably read the "Designed by Apple..." part and probably don't even read on to the Made in China part. Clever.

Scratch that... My 30" Cinema HD Display was made in Korea.

By the way, perhaps I missed something, but Connecticut is "CT".

Stingroo
09-19-10, 09:51 AM
I was being sarcastic. :lol:

http://www.hockeydrunk.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/double_facepalm.jpg

I~LUV~Caddys8792
09-19-10, 01:06 PM
Well, atleast it's designed in America, by an American company. Are there any more "american made/american designed" TV's anymore?

orconn
09-19-10, 01:16 PM
Well, atleast it's designed in America, by an American company. Are there any more "american made/american designed" TV's anymore?

Probably outsource the design to India. The label probably should read "Final Production Authorization in America, Designed in India, Assembled in China" consumed in America! Hey, its' the American way and so far Americans are only complaining verbally!

Jesda
09-19-10, 01:37 PM
Vizio is an American company.

Playdrv4me
09-19-10, 02:28 PM

The short answer is no. Most smaller, shipment friendly televisions are manufactured in China or Korea. Sony, Samsung, LG and numerous others have manufacturing facilities in Mexico for their larger sets. Vizio is an American company, but like Apple, has all of their stuff manufactured off-shore.

These days, you may as well forget the "Made in U.S." badge on electronics. Made in Japan is as close to a badge of honor for an electronic item as you can get. Even those are few and far between.

orconn
09-19-10, 03:29 PM
^^^ Electronics equipment hasn't been manufactured in the U.S. since the early seventies. The last large scale TV set manufacturer to still build TVs in the US was Zenith and they ended production in the eighties. Radios and other transistorized electronics left American shores for overseas in the 1960's, first to Japan, then Taiwan and Korea, then Singapore and Malaysia and now the PRC. Americans have always shown a prefrence for price over concern for American manufacturing. Walmart is merely the latest to use sourcing from low cost labor countrries to attract buyers.

With the rising cost of labor overseas I wonder how long middle class Americans will be able to afford all there "necessary stuff" now that unjustifiably easy access to low interest credit is a thing of the past? Unfairly low valued currency is still a factor, but as exchange rates adjust to more realistic evaluations in the, hopefully, near future we may well see many American consumers priced out of markets including fancy electronics, clothing and many other gooods.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
09-19-10, 04:11 PM
Sony is a Japanese company, Samsung is South Korean, and LG is German, right? I've always been impressed with Samsung's TV's.

orconn
09-19-10, 04:38 PM
Sony is a Japanese company, Samsung is South Korean, and LG is German, right? I've always been impressed with Samsung's TV's.

Sony has manufacturing outside Japan (read Southeast Asia and PRC), Samsung still builds in South Korea, but also manufactures in other countries, LG (used to be Goldstar and is a Korean company and follows Samsungs practice of manufacturing where ever it can be done most cheaply and efficiently. By the way, many German companies also avail themselves of offshore sourcing and manufacturing.

Bought anything lately made in Madagascar, or the Solomon Islands .... check the labels. Even the PRC is being under sold when it comes to assembly labor. Remember Ralph Lauren didn't assemble that wonderful car collection by paying Americans to sow his shirts and pants!

Playdrv4me
09-19-10, 05:37 PM
It is likely that the next "China" is gearing up to be India.

Only the highest end Sony equipment is still made in Japan. The XEL-1 OLED Television for example, some of their re-branded Konica cameras, anything that was in the Qualia line, and various other consumer goods that aren't the garden variety stuff. By far the best Sony stuff ever built was made in the '80s through the middle '90s.

I was disappointed to see that Nikon builds many of their consumer grade cameras in Thailand, whereas from about the D700 on up they are made in Japan. Canon by contrast makes almost ALL of their cameras in Japan still, a true rarity and I'm not sure how they control costs this way. Panasonic cameras also are primary made in Japan (like the ZR3 Jesda just got).

Jesda has been fiddling around with editing a video we made recently while I was in a 2010 ES350 loaner decked out to the 9s. One of the highlights of the video was the horrified look on my face (though shame on me, I should have expected it) when I peeked inside the trunk and found the basket-less subwoofer in the rear deck had "MADE IN CHINA" stamped right on it plainly visible. For f**ks sake Lexus cover that shit up!

ben.gators
09-19-10, 08:58 PM

LG is Korean...

Playdrv4me
09-19-10, 09:44 PM
Yes, LG and Samsung are Korea's power players in the electronics industry (and MANY other heavy industries as well, along with Hyundai).

Back in the day, Sony was considered the kind of TV that everyone aspired to own. Especially their unmatched Trinitron line. Hell, the Trinitron was the first TV, and maybe the first electronic device of any kind to win itSELF an Emmy award. However, much like Toyota, they rode their success too long and made a series of severe mis-steps in the 1990s and early 2000s when it came to the TV industry. Sony insisted for the longest time that customers were not going to fall for the flat panel TV hype and continued to push its direct view Trinitron and rear projection HDTV sets well into the new millennium while everyone else was gearing up for flat panel production in both the Plasma and LCD markets.

In the end, this strategy proved to essentially be fatal for Sony's TV division. Trinitrons were axed, and they ended up having to forge alliances wherever possible to get their name into the flat panel arena. This meant partnerships with Fujitsu-Hitachi and NEC in the Plasma sector, and later on, Samsung in the LCD sector. Their Plasma strategy proved to little too late, but thus far they've had reasonable results with Samsung and whoever else they may or may not be partnering with on LCD. Basically they don't have a choice, as without LCD, they are dead in the TV market altogether.

The downside to all of that is that by the time Sony realized that it had faltered badly in Television.... Samsung had already been implementing and developing LCD technology for some time, and only until just recently has Sony finally been able to approach Samsung's quality and innovation level with TVs. Talk about the servant becoming the master.