: Caddy No More

loman
09-16-10, 05:20 PM
With regret , i had to unload my 06 STS , AWD V6 3.6 . It had a 1SC package and was pretty much optioned out , Silver with Light gray leather. I could put up with poor gas mileage because i liked the car , but it was running really rough so i brought it in for service, I was told nothing wrong, i was just out of oil . It wasnt leaking out either.I went about 6 k and remembered to check the oil , well i had to put in 3 liters before it was visable on the dipstick and needed another liter to bring it to the proper level. I am not the type to check these things , and i dont think i should have to with a 72 thousand dollar car. It only had 70k kilometers . The dealer called me to remind me to bring it in for an oil change , i told them i dont need one as i add a fresh liter every couple of weeks. She said the service manager would call me , he never did , still waiting, while i drive my new 2010 Nissan Maxima.
I have driven only GM products for 35 years , and was proud to finally drive a Caddy , had a 2000 STS with the Northstar engine ( that burned oil too ) before this one . I have to say they are great looking cars, not many on the road , but had to trade it before the smoke was visible out the tailpipe.
I know i could of battled it out with the dealer for rings and seals but wasnt up for the fight.
Geez , i feel like Brett Favre changing sides like he did . The Nissan guy told me once i go Japanese i will never go back?
Cheers.

caddyfat2
09-16-10, 06:12 PM
The Nissan guy told me once i go Japanese i will never go back?
Cheers.

He is FOS. I drove Acura's for the last 15 years but I went to a Caddy and I might not ever go back!!!!!

EChas3
09-16-10, 07:52 PM
The 2000 N* normally burns some oil. The 3.6 V6 has to be monitored. Didn't the DIC report low oil? Adding oil is NOT the same as scheduled maintenance.

I hope you enjoy your new car.

sburgin
09-17-10, 01:05 AM
Congrats on the new ride. I just hope they don't unload your problematic STS on some poor unsuspecting slob without first addressing the issue.

malatu
09-17-10, 09:00 AM
Are you kidding me? It'll go to auction.

Midnight
09-17-10, 09:35 AM
> 72 thousand dollar car

??? Seriously? I thought a V8 N* 1SG was "only" like 64k, maybe less (who pays the full price?) Nevertheless, no Caddy should burn "a lot" of oil, but on the other hand, nobody makes maintenance-free cars. If it was "out of oil" (how long did that take?), well who knows what the other side of the story could be, but after that, all bets are off.

Enjoy your new car, but also, take care of it.

> once i go Japanese i will never go back?

You might not. I don't consider Japanese or American better or worse, but definitely different, and sometimes one is a better fit for someone vs another. I've owned both and they both have their own good and bad points.

EChas3
09-18-10, 04:56 PM
$72k CDN?

loman
09-19-10, 10:45 AM
72k , thats the sticker price so the salesperson told me when i bought it . I paid 37k one year old with 26k kilometers on it . Never buy a caddy new , as they depreciate quite a bit , as you may already know. We tend to get ripped off a little with Cdn pricing. It came to light a few years ago when our dollar was at par . This car was a Cdn dealer USA import , and it de-values even more on the re-sale market , as i found out when trading it in.
I just priced a CTS with most options and it stickered over 60K. I got the Nissan for about 27k ( with all the options ) similarly equipped as the CTS ( less the awd ) including the trade in. I like the CTS but not at that price point, and i would still be dealing with the same suspect 3.6 L engine. I could of negotiated a price closer to 50k plus taxes i would think, but like i said , buy them used .
Cheers.

R1chard
09-21-10, 03:19 AM
@loman: I too made the switch from my 2006 STS4 V8 (44Kmiles) to a 2010 Nissan Maxima SV back in March. Welcome to the club! :yup:

turnne
09-21-10, 06:58 AM
72k , thats the sticker price so the salesperson told me when i bought it . I paid 37k one year old with 26k kilometers on it . Never buy a caddy new , as they depreciate quite a bit , as you may already know. We tend to get ripped off a little with Cdn pricing. It came to light a few years ago when our dollar was at par . This car was a Cdn dealer USA import , and it de-values even more on the re-sale market , as i found out when trading it in.
I just priced a CTS with most options and it stickered over 60K. I got the Nissan for about 27k ( with all the options ) similarly equipped as the CTS ( less the awd ) including the trade in. I like the CTS but not at that price point, and i would still be dealing with the same suspect 3.6 L engine. I could of negotiated a price closer to 50k plus taxes i would think, but like i said , buy them used .
Cheers.

The stickers on these cars is not worht the paper they are printed on ..based on they sell for and how fast they depreciate
I also think the CTS is overpriced by about 10K

I am not sure why GM takes the strategy of overpricing their cars and then discounting heavily at a retail sale or heavily subsidizing a lease

I think that lowers the credibility..to the buying public..as to what the cars are worth when its known what they do to sell cars in the first place

That being said...sounds like you got rid of a problem . As someone already said your old car will likely be wholesaled by the dealer you traded it in to

Enjoy your new ride..I have heard good things about Maxima's and one of your concerns with your old car...reliability..is not likely to be an issue, based on the Maxima's repair record

By the way...was the Maxima you bought new?...that 27K( Canadian) sounds odd?. I think in the US a fully loaded Maxima is like 40K...even with the retail discount I can't imagine buying one for less than $33-34K(US)

Warren

loman
09-21-10, 12:45 PM
R1chard,

i hope you are enjoying your max , guess you dont miss the part about lawyering up every time you use the nav , and voice recognition is really intuative in this car.

I paid exactly 27.5 k plus the caddy trade in .

The max stickers at 45ish cdn including the nav and premium package.
trade in was valued at 14k and they threw another 3k at it . and 5k factory rebate.

45- 14 + 3 + 5 = 23k add 2k for freight and other fees plus 13 % tax ~ 28k

I guess i got a bit more on the final round.
they wanted to move this unit out as it was in their stock . It was good for both parties.

R1chard
09-22-10, 03:25 AM
R1chard,

i hope you are enjoying your max , guess you dont miss the part about lawyering up every time you use the nav , and voice recognition is really intuative in this car.

I paid exactly 27.5 k plus the caddy trade in .

The max stickers at 45ish cdn including the nav and premium package.
trade in was valued at 14k and they threw another 3k at it . and 5k factory rebate.

45- 14 + 3 + 5 = 23k add 2k for freight and other fees plus 13 % tax ~ 28k

I guess i got a bit more on the final round.
they wanted to move this unit out as it was in their stock . It was good for both parties.

I got my 2010 Maxima SV with Technology/Cold Packages and few dealer accessories (spoiler, mats, free oil changes) for $33K minus the STS trade of $18.5K back in March.

I assume you either have a SV Premium/Tech or a SV Sport/Tech?

Based on your numbers the dealer seems have inflated the MSRP from the usual $39K to $45K to make it look like a more appealing deal, and then gave you "rebates" to offset it by a bit still leaving them with a large profit.
Anyway not much you can do now about "spilled milk" so to speak.

I have been enjoying my Maxima since day one and I'm pretty sure you will as well. The infotainment system and voice recognition is in fact intuitive and the best I've come across, however the STS's BOSE system was superb compared to the optional BOSE system of the Maxima.

The biggest change for me coming from the STS to the Maxima was the drivetrain however once you get used to the CVT you will be sure to like it since it's VERY smooth and responsive. For example the acceleration from 20mph to 90mph of the CVT combined with the higher output VQ engine on this 7th Gen Maxima is bar none and that acclaimed torque steer is non existent.

There are few teething issues that you should look for with your Maxima though, drop me a message if you would like to know more.

Rich

turnne
09-25-10, 09:58 PM
I got my 2010 Maxima SV with Technology/Cold Packages and few dealer accessories (spoiler, mats, free oil changes) for $33K minus the STS trade of $18.5K back in March.

I assume you either have a SV Premium/Tech or a SV Sport/Tech?

Based on your numbers the dealer seems have inflated the MSRP from the usual $39K to $45K to make it look like a more appealing deal, and then gave you "rebates" to offset it by a bit still leaving them with a large profit.
Anyway not much you can do now about "spilled milk" so to speak.

I have been enjoying my Maxima since day one and I'm pretty sure you will as well. The infotainment system and voice recognition is in fact intuitive and the best I've come across, however the STS's BOSE system was superb compared to the optional BOSE system of the Maxima.

The biggest change for me coming from the STS to the Maxima was the drivetrain however once you get used to the CVT you will be sure to like it since it's VERY smooth and responsive. For example the acceleration from 20mph to 90mph of the CVT combined with the higher output VQ engine on this 7th Gen Maxima is bar none and that acclaimed torque steer is non existent.

There are few teething issues that you should look for with your Maxima though, drop me a message if you would like to know more.

Rich

I thought a loaded Maxima had a sticker higher than $39K

what year /mileage and equipment STS did you have that you got $18,500 for a trade in?

That sounds awfully high..unless it was an 08 or so

Warren

R1chard
09-26-10, 04:01 AM
Pricing for a 2011 Maxima SV with either Sport/Premium (same price) and all options.

http://img692.imageshack.us/img692/1658/2011maxima.png

I had a 2006 STS4 V8 Pearl White / Latte interior with all options except HUD and ACC in excellent condition. The vehicle had 47K miles on it with full warranty until 100K miles. For reference this pricing was back in March 2010.

turnne
09-28-10, 07:12 AM
Interesting

Though I never have looked at the new Maxima sticker...I thought a loaded one was $41-42K

So about 10% off of sticker is real world transaction pricing...makes sense

I have the same exact STS that you traded in....a year older(2005 model) same color except with black interior and I do have the ACC and HUD...mine had 54K on it when I bought it in 2009 and I paid...at the Cadillac dealer...about the same as what you received for trade in on your 06 in 2010

Warren

wantscadillac
09-29-10, 10:31 PM
Sorry to here that... Hope the Maxima will do fine.