: Windshied Issues

embassy
09-16-10, 12:59 AM
Don't want to seem like a complainer, but only have 3200km or about 2000 miles on my SRX and have had it in to the dealer now 5 times. My latest trip was for the thumping noise in the rear, internal rattles and squeaks, and a windshield that was covered with some sort of film. This is in addition to a loose rear window channel that has been fixed twice. Not exactly what I expected from a $62,000 vehicle, but I guess somebody had to get the SRX that was manufactured on a Monday. :)

Finally got some rain here last week and my while my wipers moved the rain drops they also left a white film covering on the window. It just wasn't clear. I had noticed a film on the window previously and the dealer tried cleaning it twice before. I usually clean it once a week myself and although I had tried three different glass cleaners it always seemed to be "filmy".

There is a bulletin for this condition and they left me a copy in my vehicle when I picked it up today. It is #09-0-48-002A. Apparently marks or stains on the windshield may be caused by contact between the windshield and vacuum hoses or other tools used in the assembly process. This contact can leave a residue that creates a water repellant surface on the glass, which in wet conditions appear as marks/stains on the surface. The solution is to clean the windshield with Eastwood Glass Polishing Compound. The dealer is not to replace the windshield for this condition according to the bulletin.

They spent an hour polishing the glass and now just have to wait for some rain.

Hope that this might help somebody else with the same problem. This forum has been a great source of info for me.

Smokin' SRX
09-16-10, 10:46 PM
Great info I use Invisible Glass to clean inner / outer glass . Wonder if it wouda worked?? THX for tip and TSB! We love our Platinum Ice too!

SS

embassy
09-17-10, 02:29 PM
Invisible glass was the first product that I used on the windshield. It didn't help, in fact it seemed to make things worse. I actually went out and bought some more as I thought that maybe the one that I had had "gone bad". I used commercial glass cleaner that we have at work and it was somewhat better, but I was still left with white smudge marks.

embassy
09-23-10, 03:24 PM
Well, being on the wet coast I didn't have to wait long for the rains to come again. And the white film and smudging was back - worse than ever. Still have rattling noise I took the SRX back to the dealer again and asked them to do something about the windshield while they were working on the rattle.

This time they used a different compound on the glass first, and then used the Eastwood compound again and polished it. Viola - I can see again when it rains. Only took 5 tries but they got it!!! Very happy with the service from my dealer. They didn't give up or quit in trying to fix the problem and make me a happy SRX owner.

algiorda
09-23-10, 11:12 PM
What is the name of the "other" compound??? It would be nice to know.

embassy
09-25-10, 07:04 PM
I am trying to find out. Will post in when I know.

Ballard
09-25-10, 08:22 PM
The only windsheild problem I have had....not really a problem. I pulled the car from the garage and was letting the AC do it's job cooling the car down ,I noticed the windsheild was a little dirty. So....I sprayed on the windex....you guessed it the wipers came on as I was wiping the cleaner from the glass. Rain sensor at it's best. Senior moment ....you bet. Ballard

Smokin' SRX
09-26-10, 01:05 AM
ebassy, great info. Good dealer indeed. glad u got it done!

SS