: Parking tips/question/advice.

Domsz06
09-15-10, 10:00 PM
Ok,

well when I bought the car the previous owner had hit the black tabs on the front bumper. So I had already ordered mine to replace today, and then when I was parking today, I thought I could clear the stop, but guess not as I damaged them some more. Not really concerned since they were already messed up.

Anyone have any advice on how to tell? I mean yes there is the Laser interceptor jamer/parking sensor. You can back in which I do where ever possible, but at work I got a ticket fore backing into an angle spot, so I try not to do that now.

Just wondering if anyone has any pointers/tips etc.

Thanks everyone.

Don't flame me too bad for hitting it, but I'm just wondering as I also want to get the D3 springs and then i KNOW i can't clear anything.

Dom

M-1028
09-15-10, 10:33 PM
One trick I picked up is, if your parking next to another car. Look in the reflection of the other cars paint you can see your bumper and the curb (depends on the paint quality of the car next to you, dosn't always work) . One more, if your near a truck or suv, just try and line up your rear bumper to theres. They are longer so if you line the rears up you should be good. Seems to work good for me, I havn't hit a curb yet. Knock on wood!!

cbloveday
09-15-10, 10:52 PM
Don't buy the D3 springs........................................... . cause next time, you'll damage more than the canards! Just kidding, I know of no tips other than to be very careful and leave yourself room. It is better to be not close enough to the curb than hit it.
Good luck.
I have only 2 fears with this car and they both involve curbs (wheels and canards)
Well wait a minute, that is not true, there is also the obsidian trim. Make that 3 fears.

Gary Wells
09-15-10, 11:05 PM
I never take mine out, that solves the problem entirely. Sorry, Dom, J/K. I try and be very careful with mine. However, I've only got 2100 miles on mine.

snzuloz
09-15-10, 11:05 PM
My worst fear is taking it in for warranty work now, I had the car since May and haven't hit the front once. Took it into the dealer for it's first service and voila front end damaged.
I back in where possible, and have got used to where the front end is and try to leave myself that one foot gap between the curb and my front end.
Now I'm waiting for the dealer to bring in the parts to repair my car, best part is all the parts seem to be in the U.S.

Now I'm glad I don't have the carbon fibre pieces!

Gary Wells
09-15-10, 11:07 PM
Curb feelers mounted on the front? J/K, Dom.

snzuloz
09-15-10, 11:09 PM
Curb feelers mounted on the front? J/K, Dom.

Better yet we could mount mirrors on the passenger side front clip facing down so we can see the front end (j/k)

Jack B
09-16-10, 12:04 AM
In an earlier post someone has installed a camera on the front of the car, low down. I think it was retained by one of the license plate screws?

baabootoo
09-16-10, 12:25 AM
Use the bottom edge of the side mirror to gauge the curb you're pulling up to. When they cross paths, I'm REAL close.

Domsz06
09-16-10, 08:15 AM
Thanks for the pointers.

I already use the looking at the cars paint beside me, but that's not always available...

Thought about a camera, but for that price I'll buy a laser jamer to jam the laser and a parking sensor at the same time.

I'll try the mirror trick next time too. I'm not real upset i messed it up since they were already messed up, but now I don't wanna mess my new one's up lol.

Thanks all.

and btw curb feelers no way ;) and not driving it is not an option, this car is too fun to drive, besides I'm not well enough in my career to have 2 cars that are garage queens. The z06 is that already.... ;)

Gary Wells
09-16-10, 09:52 AM
Thanks for the pointers.

I already use the looking at the cars paint beside me, but that's not always available...

Thought about a camera, but for that price I'll buy a laser jamer to jam the laser and a parking sensor at the same time.

I'll try the mirror trick next time too. I'm not real upset i messed it up since they were already messed up, but now I don't wanna mess my new one's up lol.

Thanks all.

and btw curb feelers no way ;) and not driving it is not an option, this car is too fun to drive, besides I'm not well enough in my career to have 2 cars that are garage queens. The z06 is that already.... ;)

That's OK, Dom, you can have a good laugh on me. I have 2 garage queens (1) very pristine 28K mile turbo Buick, & (2) the '09 CTS-V wK miles, and a beater 100K mile '02 Z06 for a daily. I really enjoy driving both the '87 Turbo-T & the '09 CTS-V, but can only get out 1 about every weekend, with sometimes a weekend off, so they only make it out about 2 weekends out of 3. Curb feelers go along great with a tissue box in the rear window ledge and a license plate frame that says, "get outta my way, I'm off to bingo". Sorry for taking this off topic.

Domsz06
09-16-10, 09:56 AM
That's OK, Dom, you can have a good laugh on me. I have 2 garage queens (1) very pristine 28K mile turbo Buick, & (2) the '09 CTS-V wK miles, and a beater 100K mile '02 Z06 for a daily. I really enjoy driving both the '87 Turbo-T & the '09 CTS-V, but can only get out 1 about every weekend, with sometimes a weekend off, so they only make it out about 2 weekends out of 3. Curb feelers go along great with a tissue box in the rear window ledge and a license plate frame that says, "get outta my way, I'm off to bingo". Sorry for taking this off topic.

ha ha ha!!! ;)

I'm gonna go practice parking in my driveway lol to get the mirror trick down.

One day I hope go get another garage queen, but I need a bigger garage now lol.

ecorpuz12
09-16-10, 05:01 PM
practice practice practice. when in doubt, leave lots of room...you can always scoot up some more. nothing worse than hearing the crunchy scraping sound.

thebigjimsho
09-17-10, 12:46 PM
Guys, the CTS is not a long car. I drive a Town Car L for work and that will fit in any space not marked specifically for compact cars. Just stop getting your brain to tell you to pull up as far as possible. I can't tell you how many times I've seen people clear the back of the space by FEET and yet they feel the need to keep pulling up and up.

Just pretend you've got a 2 ft long glass rod on the front that you can't break. Just stop earlier than usual and I'm sure you'll get out and see your back end is still fully in.

Don't get a front end camera. That is just a tell tale sign that you're a moron that deserves to be driving a Prius...

Domsz06
09-17-10, 12:53 PM
Guys, the CTS is not a long car. I drive a Town Car L for work and that will fit in any space not marked specifically for compact cars. Just stop getting your brain to tell you to pull up as far as possible. I can't tell you how many times I've seen people clear the back of the space by FEET and yet they feel the need to keep pulling up and up.

Just pretend you've got a 2 ft long glass rod on the front that you can't break. Just stop earlier than usual and I'm sure you'll get out and see your back end is still fully in.

Don't get a front end camera. That is just a tell tale sign that you're a moron that deserves to be driving a Prius...

lol

thanks! ;)

it just seams in houston the spots are short.... when I hit the stop I got out and looked and I was still hanging out of the white lines.... so I think certain areas they are shorter....

I also know at work when I back into the spot I hit the stop with my tires. If I don't I will hang out so I really think certain areas are shorter. and yes these are handicap spots so I don't worry abou door dings, but I do worry about the curbs and not being in all the way.... My spot at work if I pull in and don't back in I can't get the car all the way into the spot with out the rear hanging out.. it's that way at all the spots too, not just the handicap....

thebigjimsho
09-17-10, 01:09 PM
That is odd. Every spot in the Northeast looks ready to accept Suburbans so unless it's an old garage, a CTS would fit easily. Ah well, my V doesn't go near other cars and gets a double, or if secluded enough, a quadruple spot to avoid door dingers.

If I need to park in a somewhat crowded area, it gets an end spot and the side of the car up to the curb...

Domsz06
09-17-10, 01:28 PM
yup ah well.

I'll figure it out, practice is key and plan on it this weekend :)