: Do you turn off signatures? (and other forum settings tweaks) [POLL]

RippyPartsDept
09-15-10, 09:11 PM
So dumb me proof-reads the whole post EXCEPT for the title. Oops, my bad... sorry if it disturbs you, oh well...

So recently I've got a few PMs from people who obviously have signatures (sigs) turned off since they're asking me questions that are answered preemptively in my sig.

So the poll is to get an idea of what the numbers look like. If you turn off sigs then please explain why in a reply to this thread. I used to turn sigs off because they take up a lot of real estate on the screen sometimes, but now that I've got a sig I've turned them back on.

This has got me to thinking about other forum settings besides the signatures. So besides the sigs, what settings have y'all changed and why'd you make the change?

Also, profile information: How much do you fill out and why? Are you just lazy? Are you paranoid? Are you in the witness protection program?

I'm just curious and a bit bored on a Wednesday night.

Here's some of the settings that I've changed.

1) I've maxed out the number of posts on a page to 100, that way there's less page turning on big threads. (but longer page loads on huge picture threads like Night Wolf's rebuild of his BMW)
2) I use the 'enhanced post editor' - but i think that's the default
3) I've filled out most of the profile information and the privacy settings are pretty much all public.
How about you?

hueterm
09-15-10, 09:21 PM
I didn't even know there were those settings....

RippyPartsDept
09-15-10, 09:29 PM
well some stuff if turned off for non-supporting members (like the custom avatar)
but the forum view settings are pretty standard settings
what specifically did you not know about?

Stingroo
09-15-10, 09:35 PM
I leave all the settings how they are, but I like your idea of 100 posts per page.

I have my profile completely filled out. It doesn't bother me in the slightest. I have quite a few people on this board who I would consider friends, so I'm okay with it. I'm like that on most forums though - I feel as if (even if nobody reads it) it's a better way to get to know each other and be more than "behind the screen".

RippyPartsDept
09-15-10, 10:15 PM
it's a better way to get to know each other and be more than "behind the screen".

yeah i feel the same way
online communications can be a bit disconnected from AFK relations
so more info helps make a better bond, IMHO

drewsdeville
09-15-10, 10:51 PM
Sigs off, mostly to eliminate those that feel the need to create fancy sigs with pictures and flashing objects. Same goes for avatars.

I'm here to read the subject at hand and nothing more. I usually don't find the info that people put in their sigs to be of use.

Of course, there are exceptions to that, but missing those few exceptions to eliminate all of the clutter doesn't bother me.

ThumperPup
09-15-10, 11:04 PM
mine are turned off only because i never got around to turning them on

RippyPartsDept
09-15-10, 11:24 PM
i totally understand drew, i just wonder how many people aren't seeing my offer for parts and shipping deals
i guess it's their loss

and after 8 years at the dealership i just now noticed (after looking at my sig again) that our 800 number is
1-800-RIPPY-22

wow

Submariner409
09-16-10, 09:21 AM
:bug:
Sigs and other CF member info ON. 100 posts/page. Full profile and two picture albums. Friends ON, PM ON,

Every possible way to alter or customize anyone's page load "look" and the information that will show is discussed in several stickys and Forums throughout CF. Site News and Discussion is a wealth of info on all of the CF page, post, thread, sticky, and program operation.

Just above ^^^ are 2 toolbars - the light blue one is a goldmine of info, the small black one surfs you through CF and what/who members is/are.

For Seville/Deville/Discussions and Northstar Performance Forums, every question asked from 01-01-10 to date has been answered before. Every question: the more you know about how to move around the site the more info you can find quickly and the easier the site becomes.:wisdom:

RippyPartsDept
09-16-10, 01:18 PM
awesome

OffThaHorseCEO
09-18-10, 12:18 AM
i keep signatures off, but i just clicked into your profile..expect a pm soon

RippyPartsDept
09-18-10, 09:48 AM
replied

csbuckn
09-19-10, 03:01 AM
I just turned them on, not sure how it turned off. I see the sig now, my bad.

CTSV_Rob
09-19-10, 12:29 PM
Sigs on and I kept the posts per page down to the default and maybe the minimum. The internet at work is sloooooooowwwww.

If my profile is not complete then call it laziness.

RippyPartsDept
09-19-10, 02:29 PM
Thanks for the replies folks... much appreciated