: Another silly "What should I buy?" thread.

Jesda
09-15-10, 06:48 PM
Got the Volvo back from the dealer today. New fuel pump, new electronic throttle module, bump stops adjusted to lessen wheel rub (those OEM 17s are a surprisingly tight fit), timing belt checked for wear -- it was recently replaced and is in good shape. All of that was free thanks to Volvo's warranty extension and recall and the generosity of Brentwood Volvo.

Unfortunately, I made the mistake of test-driving a bright red 2005 Saab 9-3 yesterday and loved it, even though it was the less powerful base model Linear with the crap sound system and light pressure turbo. I also dicked around at the Saab dealer the day before and played with some newer 9-3s just to get a feel for the clutch and shifter.

SO... here's my dilemma. I have a serious itch for yet another Saab, a 2003-2005 9-3 sedan.

---

ARGUMENTS IN FAVOR OF KEEPING VOLVO:
Cool pop-up navigation display capable of playing iPod video if I decide to be irresponsible and purchase an input adapter.
Truly OUTSTANDING Dolby Pro-Logic sound system
A mountain of torque, responsive turbo
Smooth and comfortable ride
Really outstanding seats
Seriously good fun to romp on. I-5 turbo makes a beautiful sound.
SMELLS AWESOME INSIDE
ONE OWNER. I think it was a Jewish lady based on the name, and she took excellent care of it.

ARGUMENTS AGAINST KEEPING VOLVO:
Heavy clutch
Notchy, heavy shifter
Not enough communication from suspension or tires
Steering is accurate in routine driving but needs more feedback
Suspension isn't as tight as it ought to be (fixable)
A bit too "adult"

---

ARGUMENTS IN FAVOR OF BUYING A SAAB 9-3 ARC/VECTOR/AERO:
Snickety shifter feels just like a Mazda
Light and easy clutch
Responsive chassis, built on GM Epsilon platform. The whole car feels light and eager to play.
Neat looking interior with option of white leather and door panels and BUTTONS GALORE (I'm 12)
Lots of discounts through Saab Club North America, of which I am a dues-paying member
Very little torque steer
Possibility of another road trip :)

ARGUMENTS AGAINST BUYING A SAAB 9-3:
Waste of another $450 in taxes, inspection fees, and registration
Some GM-ness all around
More things to fix on another used car
Interior and overall build quality not as good as Volvo
Audio system inferior to Volvo
No navigation
Seats not quite as supportive as the Volvo

---

TIED:
Snow traction
Fuel economy
Resale value (poor for both, not much further down to go)
Maintenance costs (somewhat high for both)
Styling
Serviceable by my regular all-Swedish mechanic, which includes free pickup and delivery.

---

WILDCARD: Lincoln LS
RWD
A bit short on power, Duratec V6 is overwhelmed
Clutch feels heavy
Shift pattern is odd, reverse is to the left of first gear
A bit heavy, but within reason considering the size of the car
Shifts reasonably well with short throws
Gobs of comfort
Outstanding platform
Excellent steering and handling
Very difficult to find with the right price and condition
Sound system is completely forgettable
No nav
Big American sedan + manual transmission = Awesome
Interior is well made with high quality leather and beautiful wood trim, but it smells like a Mercury Sable :/

---

CHINESE FOOD
MSG is bad
Too much salt
Good value for money
Broccoli beef sometimes includes broccoli that isnt fully cooked
Sweet and sour chicken is occasionally too sweet without enough sour
Feels good, man

Stingroo
09-15-10, 06:57 PM
I vote Chinese food.

ryannel2003
09-15-10, 07:02 PM
1st Gen CTS?

I've driven an automatic Saab 9-3 and loved it... so I can imagine the manual is that much better. Never driven the Volvo so i can't comment on it... but I liked the Volvo's interior much better.

Jesda
09-15-10, 07:06 PM
CTS in decent shape is hard to find in the same price range, and the floor-mounted e-brake in a manual car is 'wtf'. Would love to have one maybe when resale value drops a bit more.

gary88
09-15-10, 07:16 PM
Saab filled with Panda Express.

orconn
09-15-10, 07:21 PM
Chinese food trumps Lincoln LS, Volvo probably more confortable than Saab or Chinese food on long road trips, Steering on Volvo trumped by almost anybody else's steering feedback except a 1960's Chrysler or Ford product, sell both the Saab and the Volvo and get an Alfa Romeo and pick up girls while doing your new "Jesda Does .... video show"!

ryannel2003
09-15-10, 07:21 PM
CTS in decent shape is hard to find in the same price range, and the floor-mounted e-brake in a manual car is 'wtf'. Would love to have one maybe when resale value drops a bit more.

True. I voted to keep the Volvo mainly because I prefer the bodystyle of the Volvo and I think it's a beautiful color.

orconn
09-15-10, 07:25 PM
Get a VW GTI with a stick and a good independent VW mechanic.

hueterm
09-15-10, 08:04 PM
You got all that crap on the Vulva (hide your eyes, Drew) fixed for free today -- you SO don't need to get rid of that car, unless you can make money on it.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
09-15-10, 08:17 PM
Yeah, I agree. I myself like the Volvo more (there, I can be adult and play the PC game too), and you just got all that stuff fixed on it for FREE! You note that the Volvo has better seats, a better sound system and more power. Considering how much you like road trips, I'd keep it just for those three reasons.

hueterm
09-15-10, 08:20 PM
None of those 9-3 positives outweigh the Volvo positives (or negatives, for that matter.....)

Ian, please hit him in the head w/a newspaper.....

Jesda
09-15-10, 08:31 PM
None of those 9-3 positives outweigh the Volvo positives (or negatives, for that matter.....)

More shit-eating grins per mile.
More money to spend and things to give up to get the grins.

Can't wait for this class to end -- I want crab rangoon.

gdwriter
09-15-10, 08:32 PM
I voted for Chinese. Too bad you're all the way over in St. Louis. The local Chinese place in Independence is terrific. I still have half a carton of House Special Lo-Mein from Sunday in the fridge at work for lunch tomorrow.

And I'd keep the Vulva for now. Unless selling it and buying a 9-3 would be a wash in terms of money. But you'd have to make sure you found one in as nice a shape as the Vulva, which has now been given a clean bill-of-health. That and what sounds like a generous warranty extension and recall tip the scales in favor of the Vulva.

drewsdeville
09-15-10, 08:41 PM
I voted for Chinese. Too bad you're all the way over in St. Louis. The local Chinese place in Independence is terrific. I still have half a carton of House Special Lo-Mein from Sunday in the fridge at work for lunch tomorrow.

And I'd keep the Vulva for now. Unless selling it and buying a 9-3 would be a wash in terms of money. But you'd have to make sure you found one in as nice a shape as the Vulva, which has now been given a clean bill-of-health. That and what sounds like a generous warranty extension and recall tip the scales in favor of the Vulva.

As stated, the logical thing to do would be to stick to the Volvo. However, your list of cons for the Volvo are all related to it's driving attitude and feel...isn't the joy driving it the point of owning this (or any) car? Your list of pros for the Volvo are pretty short sighted if you ask me. If you need to sit in a comfortable seat and relax, go inside and sit in the lazy boy. If you need to hear the sound of an i-5, youtube is your friend. If you want to have a blast driving a car that feels great, it sounds like the Volvo falls short...and there's no alternative.

You say you love how the Saab drives and that's what really counts. If you are looking for a more pleasing daily driver for yourself, I think you just found it.

Going against all logic, screw the Volvo.

hueterm
09-15-10, 08:44 PM

Oh please....there is TONS of good Chinese in STL....if you're going to pity someone -- pity ME!!!

Stingroo
09-15-10, 08:45 PM
And me, so far. I've yet to find good Chinese in Jacksonville. But I'm about to try another place tonight and figure it out. :)

Jesda
09-15-10, 08:47 PM
Yeah but the chinese in west county is so-so

hueterm
09-15-10, 08:56 PM
You have 2 cars...

Go to Mandarin House -- 170/Page or House of Wong -- Olive W. of 270. Mandarin House is better, though...

hueterm
09-15-10, 09:03 PM
Quit'cha bitchin' and just get one of these, and keep it for more than 5 minutes....:

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/searchresults.jsp?lastStartYear=1981&num_records=25&search_lang=en&page_location=findacar%3A%3Aispsearchform&search_type=both&distance=500&address=63114&marketZipError=false&style_flag=1&make=SAAB&model=9-3&make2=&start_year=1981&end_year=2011&min_price=&max_price=&seller_type=b&transmission=&engine=&drive=&doors=&fuel=&max_mileage=&color=&keywordsrep=118105103103101110&keywordsfyc=__dmlnZ2Vu__&keywords_display=viggen&sort_type=priceDESC&body_code=0&certified=&advanced=y&highlightFirstMakeModel=&showZipError=y&default_sort=newsortbyprice_DESC&awsp=false&systime=&rdm=1284598930406

There's even one at Bommarito's -- you don't even have to travel......

ted tcb
09-15-10, 09:19 PM
To hell with the Lincoln ... the girls of St.Louis will crawl a mile over broken
glass to ride in Jesda's British LS!!!

http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n243/tedtcb/pw_640.jpg

gdwriter
09-15-10, 10:12 PM
Oh please....there is TONS of good Chinese in STL....if you're going to pity someone -- pity ME!!!

And me, so far. I've yet to find good Chinese in Jacksonville. But I'm about to try another place tonight and figure it out. :)OK, I pity you both. It's been years since I was in St. Louis, so I have no idea what the local Chinese scene is there. I just like that my little town of <9,000 people has a fantastic place. Best egg rolls evar!

Playdrv4me
09-15-10, 10:37 PM
I vote for the Saab just because I want to go on another road-trip.

Jesda
09-15-10, 10:40 PM
http://www.q45.org/gallery/gallery3/var/resizes/chinese.jpg?m=1284604755

Stingroo
09-15-10, 10:48 PM
Jesda is going to become the Dr. Suess of Saabs.

One Saab
Two Saab
Red Saab
Blue Saab.

orconn
09-15-10, 11:17 PM
Yeah, I can imagine Arkansas Chinese food. They probably buy all there sauces in Chicago like the Chinese restaurants in Richmond. Why is it that raw brocolli in brown sauce of canned origin is the theight of Chinese cuisine?!

ga_etc
09-16-10, 01:15 AM
I say keep the Vulva. It's a good looking car, well maintained (seemingly), good power, and excellent hwy mileage. If another SAAB must be had, I say trade in Ducky, even though I know that's blasphemy. I like Ducky, but that 3 speed auto is archaic, as best.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
09-16-10, 01:17 AM
Saab brought Jesda into the world of Swedish automobiles, and Saab will take Jesda out of the world of Swedish automobiles.

77CDV
09-16-10, 01:51 AM
Considering you just got the Volvo, what has it done to displease you so rapidly that you must be rid of it? And, owning one Saab is quaintly eccentric. Owning two at once indicates severe pathology.

Owning a Volvo and a Saab simultaneously means you own stock in Birkenstock.

greencadillacmatt
09-16-10, 03:21 AM
Owning a Volvo and a Saab simultaneously means you own stock in Birkenstock.

Maybe that's why he wants to be rid of it? :hmm:

Jesda
09-16-10, 07:18 AM
Considering you just got the Volvo, what has it done to displease you so rapidly that you must be rid of it? And, owning one Saab is quaintly eccentric. Owning two at once indicates severe pathology.

I know a guy with 6 of them.

Stingroo
09-16-10, 08:00 AM
I do not recommend the Chinese place I had last night.

Terrible. Just terrible.

Jesda
09-16-10, 08:52 AM
The eggroll I had was dripping with oil. :/ The broccoli was perfect though, and thats what really counts.

Night Wolf
09-16-10, 10:47 AM
Spend the money to do a manual conversion to Ducky and be done with it.

orconn
09-16-10, 11:37 AM

I used to know that guy. He ate too much lutefisk and now they won't let come out from under the bridge!

Stingroo
09-16-10, 12:18 PM
Spend the money to do a manual conversion to Ducky and be done with it.

Best. Advice. Evar.

CIWS
09-16-10, 02:20 PM
You need a Mini Cooper Jesda.

Jesda
09-16-10, 02:48 PM
I'd be all over a Mini or Miata if I didn't need space.

I'm at House of Wong. This place is really nice.

Jesda
09-16-10, 02:48 PM
I'd be all over a Mini or Miata if I didn't need space.

I'm at House of Wong. This place is really nice.

hueterm
09-16-10, 02:50 PM
There's one in Clayton, too.

CIWS
09-16-10, 02:50 PM
Mini Clubman :yup:

http://www.uncrate.com/men/images/2007/07/mini-clubman-2.jpg

orconn
09-16-10, 02:58 PM
Volvos are for non creative yuppies, sell both your cars and find a nice SAAB stick convertible as DD and road trip car. The SaaBs seem to fit the "Jesda" image much better, and now that your are going to be a travel/food show creator and producer image is important! I mean how would it look on screen for Jesda to pull up to "El Rauncho Taquetaria" in Nogales, New Mexico in a Volvo 850 ..... see wht I mean, very all wrong!

I also am not enjoying the image of the girls you might be able to pick up in a Volvo 850, maybe some newly arrived Asian chicks might not know better, but good looking domestic chicks definitely not. At least in a SAAB most of them don't have a clue, unless their parents were counter culture Birkenstockers and that could be interesting, what to expect except "Hey, it's a convetible!"

I~LUV~Caddys8792
09-16-10, 08:01 PM
I've got a very good looking blonde friend who's a Saab nut. Her entire family drives Saab 9-3's. Without getting too political, let's just say her family falls under all those previously mentioned Saab stereotypes.

hueterm
09-16-10, 08:28 PM
OK...I had to make the 30 mile hike to Fayetteville to go to Madame Wu's.....which is the only good Chinese here. It was worth it, even after the 30 mile drive home...

I~LUV~Caddys8792
09-16-10, 08:42 PM
Jesda (haha I almost typed in Saab), I think you should sell both the Saab and Volvo and buy something really obscure and interesting!

FUEGO!!!!!!!!!
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/9/9e/Renault_Fuego_GTX_2.0_1981.jpg/800px-Renault_Fuego_GTX_2.0_1981.jpg

orconn
09-16-10, 08:45 PM
Good Chinese is well worth the ride. My good Chinese friends had my wife and I driving all over L.A. to try the food of different Chinese chefs/cooks. I understand some of the very best Chinese food today is to be had in the L.A. suburb of Montebello. Following the re-unification of Hong Kong with the PRC many moneyed Chinese left for L.A. and Vancouver, BC subsequently those two cities are well known for the finest in Chinese dining. Real Chinese food is nothing like what we get in most Chinese restaurants in the U.S.

A long time ago Chinese restaurant cooks started cooking food that was what the Anglo population (and other ethnic groups like the Jewish immigrants in NYC) wanted, as opposed to what real Chinese food is like. Well done American Chinese food is pretty good, but I've noticed that so many of mom and pop Chinese restaurants here just serve half cooked vegies with corn starch flowered fried meat or chicken and sauced with some glop from a bottle or can .... really a fowl imitation of even good American Chinese food.

billc83
09-16-10, 08:52 PM
Anecdotal evidence that cute girls like Saabs:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=anw6cc_avn8

orconn
09-16-10, 08:56 PM
Jesda (haha I almost typed in Saab), I think you should sell both the Saab and Volvo and buy something really obscure and interesting!

FUEGO!!!!!!!!!
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/9/9e/Renault_Fuego_GTX_2.0_1981.jpg/800px-Renault_Fuego_GTX_2.0_1981.jpg

I test drove a Renault "Fuego" when they came out in the early eighties. With a five speed stick it was sorta fun, for city driving, which was what I did mostly, the Turbo version with its need to build pressure to get any thing out out the puny little engine that came with it was a loser. The naturally aspirated engine was better around town. I actually liked the design of the "Fuego" especially when equipped with the huge fabric sunroof and soft French leather seats. I bet examples of these last gasp of French cars in America would be impossible to find. Although like tge SAAB the "Fuego", especially in "Gordini" configuration had a loyal following for amny years.

I bought my '83 Scirocco instead of the "Fuego" and never regretted it!

Jesda
09-16-10, 09:00 PM
I cant decide if I want to kill her, marry her, or both.

Probably kill. :)

orconn
09-16-10, 09:05 PM
I cant decide if I want to kill her, marry her, or both.

Probably kill. :)

I feel your pain, Jesda!

I~LUV~Caddys8792
09-16-10, 09:10 PM
More like "anecdotal evidence that blondes are dumb". :lol:

That was painful to watch. Thank god she's good looking.

gdwriter
09-16-10, 10:28 PM
FUEGO!!!!!!!!!Yikes. French cars are so weird they make Saabs seem normal.

Night Wolf
09-16-10, 11:44 PM
Anecdotal evidence that cute girls like Saabs:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=anw6cc_avn8

Damn... that is cute - both her and the way she made the video.

she said she made a follow up because of rude comments:

5OE9k0Jv5o0&feature=channel

Night Wolf
09-17-10, 12:02 AM
Part of me says to lay off the late-night perv scene.... but then I wouldn't have found this...

She's a model too...

http://www.modelmayhem.com/773594

http://modelmayhm-4.vo.llnwd.net/d1/photos/100323/07/4ba8d459adfc8.jpg

http://modelmayhm-4.vo.llnwd.net/d1/photos/081017/08/48f886dcebfe3.jpg

http://modelmayhm-4.vo.llnwd.net/d1/photos/080808/11/489c6465add68.jpg

I~LUV~Caddys8792
09-17-10, 12:05 AM
Well that settles it, I'm buying a Saab.

Stingroo
09-17-10, 12:20 AM
Jesda is probably trying to buy her now. :p

orconn
09-17-10, 12:22 AM
Good decision, Chad, especially up in you neck of the woods. It doesn't hurt to show your appreciation for Scandinavian products when living among the highest percentage of Norskis outside of Scadinavia. Lutefisk aside the Nordic gene pool seems to be a reliable source of good looking women. Your Regal may appeal to the practicality of the daughters of Pier Gynt, but you can bet Swedish wheels will appeal to their deep seated ethnic loyalty!

orconn
09-17-10, 12:41 AM
Who knows, Jesda's new found enfatuation with all things Swedish may find him a new home in Stockholm. After all the most currently famous Swedish chef is an Ethiopian by birth, and who knows what fame and fortune Scandinavia holds for a sharp, newly U.S minted business major of Thai origins!

To be honest I have seen this coming ever since Jesda asked Chad about lutefisk, and he cornered the market on hair bleach and Abba CDs in the St. Louis metropolitan area.

The had writing is on the wall, Jesda, move to Sweden marry a golden goddess and do food reviews with a special twist from Europe and around the U.S. and become rich and famous as Scandinavia's brown brother! You are already half way there with the first Saab and the Abba (first in the heart of all Scadinavians) so it is just a matter of mastering smorgasbrod (no big trick I did when I was 11 years old) and Aguavit (after your first shot you won't notice a thing!) I can see it now, a huge career as an arbiter of Northland culture, several Saabs and numerous dark haired golden children humming Abba tunes as they march off to conquer the world! Sure beats the medical profession in the U.S. in the next few years!

Aron9000
09-17-10, 12:44 AM
Jesda, just keep the volvo, its a nice car. Although I really don't like the image/feeling that Volvo imparts. They are a car my mother drives(she had a 240 wag0n), not something I would spend my $$$ on.

orconn
09-17-10, 12:58 AM
If you are young, upwardly mobile, creative and some what sure of your self image ... I am sure Newton joins me in saying "DITCH THE VOLVO!" Even a Beagle knows better than a Volvo .... station wagons excempted!

77CDV
09-17-10, 01:37 AM

I trust they keep him well away from sharp objects.

FUEGO!!!!!!!!!

The Fuego was actually a decent little sports coupe in its day. Not put together worth a damn, but entertaining until it self-destructed or spontaneously rusted away.

Good decision, Chad, especially up in you neck of the woods. It doesn't hurt to show your appreciation for Scandinavian products when living among the highest percentage of Norskis outside of Scadinavia. Lutefisk aside the Nordic gene pool seems to be a reliable source of good looking women. Your Regal may appeal to the practicality of the daughters of Pier Gynt, but you can bet Swedish wheels will appeal to their deep seated ethnic loyalty!

I hear Elin Woods is available.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
09-17-10, 07:46 AM
Funny thing is that I actually sort of half-considered an early 9-5 (99-02) before I bought the Regal.

Jesda
09-17-10, 07:59 AM
Damn... that is cute - both her and the way she made the video.

she said she made a follow up because of rude comments:

5OE9k0Jv5o0&feature=channel

Pure win.

As for this poll, I of course followed the wishes of the electorate and chose Chinese food. I think after all the work that's been done, the Volvo deserves at least 6 months before being shuffled off into a cruel life of abuse at the hands of a Craigslister.

This gives me time to seek out the perfect 9-3, which I might bring home anyway. GM's epsilon platform is SO nice.

[I'm turning into a bigger weirdo than I already am.]

I~LUV~Caddys8792
09-17-10, 08:03 AM
Good news Jesda! (or should we just start calling you Sven?)

Now, let's start a different poll: chinese food v. mongolian bbq!

Night Wolf
09-17-10, 08:37 AM
One of my best friends used to have a '99 SAAB 9-5 (I think 5, maybe 3? dunno) it was a 4 door, turbocharged I4 with 5spd. It was a really nice car and drove well.

At first I thought they were econo cars, until he said it was quite expensive when new - I didn't know how a 4banger could be so much, but the car was nice. Dual heated leather seats, plenty of options and toys inside too. He got it after moving on from his '01 Jetta 1.8T 5spd. He liked the SAAB much better saying it was built better and felt less like a toy/more upscale. I liked te gauges and backlights in the Jetta better.

I enjoyed driving it, I'd buy one.

Jesda
09-17-10, 10:30 AM
I remember going to saabusa.com a few years ago out of bizarre curiosity. I always liked the idea of a Saab but when I saw the high prices and what I thought were weak engines, I LOL'd and closed my browser window.

GM marketing was always like "BORN FROM JETS SERIOUSLY GUYS" but then you do a comparison of specs against Cadillac, BMW, or Mercedes and the Saabs looked like weird cars powered by weak little motors. There wasn't enough emphasis on the light weight, chassis tuning, benefits of turbo charging, and impressive fuel economy.

The round of ads running now don't do anything to sell the car:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0hc0buYIZXI
A discussion at Saab Central revealed that this ad was part of an EU campaign and there was no budget for US-specific commercials. That song is cute and all but its kind of gay, and ill-fitting for a car and a brand that's supposed to be inspired by aviation.

Slightly better:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Je8Wv2crB7M&NR=1
I know they're trying to appeal to intellectuals, but that's a narrow and picky crowd.

hueterm
09-17-10, 02:51 PM
I like the new 9-5......much better suited to be a Saab, rather than the LARGEST BUICK....OR CADILLAC.....which is a joke...

Stingroo
09-17-10, 03:24 PM
Saab - Build the Aero-X or GTFO.

Kthxbai.

Jesda
09-17-10, 09:12 PM
I cant seem to stop eating Chinese food. This is bad.

77CDV
09-17-10, 10:24 PM
Saab: the official car of Adalai Stevenson supporters.

Night Wolf
09-17-10, 11:07 PM
SAAB spotted today in the parking lot at work.

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e363/InoventionsEast/misc/cid__0917101403_01.jpg

I~LUV~Caddys8792
09-18-10, 02:41 AM
That new 9-5 is super sexy.

gdwriter
09-18-10, 04:26 PM
My niece Laura, the one who now owns Cruella, has always been very stubborn and somebody who does things her own way. Never one to follow the crowd. Usually one to do the opposite. I really like that about her. But when she was little and her go-my-own-way streak developed, I told her when she grew up, she needed to drive a Saab.

orconn
09-18-10, 07:27 PM
Well, that makes sense! After her uncle told her she needed to drive a SAAB, she, ever the contrarian, chose to drive an old Cadillac. I think there was method in your madness, Gary D.!

gdwriter
09-18-10, 09:06 PM
The bonus is Laura loves Cruella. The day after getting her license, she showed Cruella off at lunch to her school friends. As she put it to me, "Cruella was the belle of the ball...um parking lot...today."