: Fear of heights? Watch this

Rolex
09-15-10, 06:18 PM
Made my palms sweat.

uccjrp5NRYE

ted tcb
09-15-10, 06:27 PM
Possibly the scariest video I've ever seen, and I'm not afraid of heights.
When he reached the base of the antenna, I couldn't beleive he had another sixty ft to climb!

Great post, Rolex.
I wonder how much these guys make per climb, and hauling 30lbs of tools the entire way!

orconn
09-15-10, 07:06 PM
When I was a kid back in the fifties, I used to go with my Dad up to MT. Wilson where the transmitters for the various TV stations were located for L.A. The pole climber/tech would climb a 600' tower to make repairs or install new eaquipment. My Dad who was one of the few television transmission engineers in the country at the time (in the forties he was in charge of installation and maintenance supervision for the western U.S. for RCA). He had a very high powered telescope and a walky talkie that he would use to supervise the climber/techs. The telescope was so powerful that my friends and I could look into the girl's rooms at the Catholic girls school that was on a mountain behind our house and over a mile away!

When my Dad took me to the Empire State Building in NYC there was a picture of a guy doing a hand stand on top of the TV tower on top of that building. My Dad said the guy on top of the tower was a engineer friend of his named "Red" something. I later met the guy who lived near us in Haddonfield, New Jersey. The only thing I really remember about meeting him at his home was that he had bright red carpeting in living room of his house. This was quite unusual ib the 1950's.

hueterm
09-15-10, 09:24 PM
It's gone now...

Rolex
09-16-10, 12:00 AM
Possibly the scariest video I've ever seen, and I'm not afraid of heights.
When he reached the base of the antenna, I couldn't beleive he had another sixty ft to climb!

Great post, Rolex.
I wonder how much these guys make per climb, and hauling 30lbs of tools the entire way!

You couldn't pay me enough to try it.

The-Dullahan
09-16-10, 12:50 AM
Video is gone? Damn it, it sounded good. I'm afraid of lows.

Night Wolf
09-16-10, 02:14 AM
yXuzrIN_x2M

lol@vehicle of choice in opening skit

I~LUV~Caddys8792
09-16-10, 02:20 AM
Great video, but I'll pass TYVM. I think I'll stick to my measly sales job for now.

There were a few TV/ FM radio antennas built on the north side of the twin cities in the early '70s. During construction, the first tower collapsed, killing six workers on the tower and one on the ground. After it was rebuilt and later renovated, they stand 1436 and 1438 feet.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telefarm_Towers_Shoreview

ga_etc
09-16-10, 02:54 AM
Yeah right.... not happening. My fat ass will stay on the ground.

ewill3rd
09-16-10, 09:20 AM
I saw a show about this and it freaked me out... well... badly.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_elevator

I won't go on about my fear of heights, I can battle it but it is there.

Lord Cadillac
09-16-10, 02:17 PM
Yeah, I would never do that in a million years...

Brett
09-16-10, 02:19 PM
This video was very disturbing, honestly I couldnt even watch it, the moment I saw that yellow jeep I shut it right down :)

cvettr/cts-v
09-16-10, 02:45 PM
Not enough money to get me to do that, or high voltage repairman. Saw on tv they bring the high voltage repair man in by helicopter, he then uses a hotstick to make a current path for the electricity at which time the helicopter in energized. He then makes a connection to his harness then climbs on to the high voltage lines uses the hotstick again to the helicopter and disconnects his connection to the helicopter. they fly away he does repair then they fly in to get him and the whole process is reversed to get him safely aboard the helicopter. It is amasing to see but takes a very gutsy and brave skilled team to accomplish.

CIWS
09-16-10, 02:56 PM
We had a 300 ft microwave tower to climb and do maintenance on (no elevators). But thank goodness that was taken down this year. Now they're mostly 60 ft antenna towers.

Screw the "free climb" shown in that video, I'm always tied off. Yeah it takes a little longer, but it's worth it.

Ranger
09-16-10, 03:41 PM
Oh good Lord! I got a queezy feeling in my stomach just watching that. I almost had to turn it off. There is not enough money in the world to get me to do that, but I have to wonder what those guys make. Whatever it is, it ain't enough.

CIWS
09-16-10, 03:45 PM
Watching that helmet cam did more to make me queasy than the height.

The-Dullahan
09-16-10, 05:36 PM
I want one on my lawn.

hueterm
09-16-10, 06:19 PM
Finally saw it. Yeah, that is insane. I couldn't even do the climbing while strapped onto the thing, but the free climbing is madness.

dkozloski
09-16-10, 06:31 PM
They had a show about this kind of work on a cable channel. They actually changed out the antenna on the top of the tower by building a crane at the top of the tower to lower the old one and raise the replacement. The whole damn thing was teetering around and leaning over toward Jones's. The best part was the stunts the cameramen had to do to get camera angles.

ben.gators
09-16-10, 07:27 PM
hum, I liked it and may try it, But I believe in first 10 ft of climbing I would give up because of fear and would stuck in the middle and shout for help!

Sevillian273
09-16-10, 08:20 PM
Thats extreme... There are easier and less dangerous ways to get so high.

ewill3rd
09-16-10, 09:47 PM
I am afraid I can't even watch the video.

When I was a kid I used to go by the KTHI TV tower in North Dakota.
It used to be the world's tallest structure. Not sure what has that honor these days but I think it was outdone.
Someone else can change the light bulbs, thanks.

orconn
09-17-10, 01:51 AM
I know those tower guys have always been a special breed. Like the the steel workers that build the skyscrapers around the U.S. I believe many are of American Indian origin. I do remember that the tower guys who worked on the towers on Mt.Wilson (notice I didn't say worked for my Dad, because they really were contractors unto themselves). I do remember that they were well paid (as well they should be) and that they drove neat cars .... and rumor had it they drank alot! But let's face the men who go up those towers keep our communications going and are, even though unsung, real heroes to our way of life and economy.

CIWS
09-17-10, 10:00 AM
This is all we have to climb now.

http://www.www.ciws.info/tower2.jpg

Ranger
09-17-10, 11:46 AM
Even THAT is too damned high for me!

gary88
09-17-10, 03:13 PM
Pah, youtube took it down.

hueterm
09-17-10, 07:30 PM
I saw it on Yahoo this morning.

And Ranger, you and me both. I might as well climb the 1700 ft as to climb 60 or whatever that is.

CTSV_Rob
09-17-10, 09:04 PM
Video gone and yes I wouldn't climb that either, have fun C.