: fuel pressure regulator problem ASAP

77-79 Cadillac
09-15-10, 11:37 AM
Hi guys, I have a chance of buying a 77 deville with fuel pressure regulator is out so I have been told. My problem is should I buy it? It's about 200 miles away. FPR is very hard to find and very expensive. Do you know where I can get one? Is it hard to change? It's has a 425 that is fuel injected. Looks nice, low miles and cheap. Any help will be helpful. John

jayoldschool
09-15-10, 01:22 PM
Rockauto.com doesn't list it? Is the FPR on the 70s Cads like the Chevy TBIs from the early 90s (incorporated into the throttle body)?

77-79 Cadillac
09-15-10, 01:31 PM
I"m not sure, I haven't seen it yet, the plan is to run down and look at it this weekend. Napa can get it GM in Virginia it will take a week and it's $195.00.

jayoldschool
09-15-10, 03:41 PM
You could always buy an aftermarket external regulator and just set it for the correct pressure. Pretty sure you can get one for under 2 bills!

77-79 Cadillac
09-16-10, 02:19 PM
I thought there was some Cadillac owners that could help me make a tough choice? Yes I know the late 70's fuelies were bad, how bad can it be? If you need pics? How do I post them with my cell? I'm looking at it Saturday.

cadillac_al
09-17-10, 12:15 AM
I would inquire more about how they know the FPR is bad. Those fuel injection systems aren't totally impossible to work on. If the car is in nice condition and you can get it for a good price I would buy it and I'm pretty sure you could get the FI system fixed eventually. The first thing I would do is verify the fuel pressure. It could be a dead pump or more likely lost electrical connection somehow. I spent a lot of time years ago troubleshooting my Seville FI and it usually turned out to be simple electrical connection issues.

You didn't sya where you are from but if you are in the rust belt I would be more concerned with cancerous rust then the FI system. If worse comes to worse you can always switch it to a carb. That's what i did to my Seville years ago and it is super dependable now.

77-79 Cadillac
09-22-10, 11:17 AM
How do I post pics on a thread? Thanks to Limo guy I posted pics in my alblum. It is very nice Fleetwood. 30 years have gone by since they put fuel injection on that Cadillac, is there a way to make it more reliable without putting a cab on it?

csbuckn
09-22-10, 03:37 PM
Redo it all for reliability. Eventually it will all go bad so just save up the money and do it all at once

carnut
09-22-10, 08:11 PM
If the engine is flooding when trying to start it could be as simple as the coolant temp switch. They failed fairly regularly and would appear incorrectly to be a ruptured FPR. The air temp sensor and the coolant temp sensor have the same part number. Bosch made all the parts for cadillac fuel injection then. The system was the same on the 76 thru 79 Sevilles except yours has larger injectors. I've switched many air temp for coolant temp sensors to get these cars running after replacing the gas fouled spark plugs.

77-79 Cadillac
09-23-10, 11:16 AM
Now I'm worried, we just spent $350 to replace the FPR.

77-79 Cadillac
09-23-10, 11:22 AM
Redo it all for reliability. Eventually it will all go bad so just save up the money and do it all at once

What all do I have to change to put a carb on it? Is the fuel pump in the gas tank like on the mid 80s cadillacs? This is a good looking car I hope its not a headache for us.

77-79 Cadillac
09-23-10, 11:29 AM
The Cad fuel injection were not very good, but 30 years have gone by, technology has came a long ways sence then. There's no way to make it work right? John

jayoldschool
09-23-10, 01:41 PM
What exactly is wrong with the car?

77-79 Cadillac
09-23-10, 01:47 PM
I just got a call the car is fixed. It running fine now. It was the FPR. As far as we know it wouldn't start?

77-79 Cadillac
09-23-10, 01:59 PM
This car has a gold and blue lid for the air cleaner, does this mean any thing? Is it a Fleetwood thing or a fuel injection thing?

cadillac_al
09-24-10, 09:13 AM
Must be a fuel injection thing or a late 70's classy Caddy thing. My Seville had a gold lid with blue on it.

cadillac_al
09-24-10, 09:15 AM
Oh yeah, glad the FPR fixed it .

77-79 Cadillac
09-27-10, 11:44 AM
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=68588 We got the home late Saturday night. It looks great, ran great all the way home. I think it might be the best looking $500.oo Fleetwood I have ever seen! We have paid $500 and more for some late 70's and mid 80's Cadillac before and have not had anything this nice. 500 for the car, 350 to fix the FPR, $80 bus ride for two to SLC, $20 cab ride to get to the car. It was a little more than we planned on or not planned on. I was a little disappointed when I fired it up. we were not able to hear the car run before we purchused the car. The exhaust manifold leaks very bad. the gas gauge doesn't work, the heater blows cold but not hot. I think the cruise quit working on the way back. And it needs shocks. Besides all that, witch isn't much the car ran great, I am pretty happy with it. I think it really has 58000 miles on it. I think the clear coat is starting to come off.

77-79 Cadillac
09-27-10, 02:55 PM
it has multi-port injection and this is a bad thing???? The heater blows cold but nut warm? the speedo is off. The gas gauge is off, by a lot, it only reads a quarter. Manifold gasket is bad, tail pipe bad, and the CAT is bad. And last thing the mirror adjusters don't work.

Bro-Ham
09-27-10, 03:24 PM
it has multi-port injection and this is a bad thing???? The heater blows cold but nut warm? the speedo is off. The gas gauge is off, by a lot, it only reads a quarter. Manifold gasket is bad, tail pipe bad, and the CAT is bad. And last thing the mirror adjusters don't work.

Are you planning a warranty claim on your $500 car? :) For $500 you should expect some work will need to be done and you should be able to handle the important things pretty easily. The air cleaner lid you described is exclusively for fuel injected models. Did you post pictures? Sounds like you got an interesting old car for not too much $$$. Good luck and have fun with it! :)

77-79 Cadillac
09-28-10, 10:47 AM
It's cool. It has a few bugs that need worked out. :cool: I'm still trying to get the pics on. I just wanted everyone to hear and see what I got for $500.