: Are your engine covers loose? Do you even use them?

neuronbob
09-15-10, 09:55 AM
A few weeks ago I noticed a rattle coming from the engine compartment. When I began to remove the engine covers, I noted that the passenger side cover was only loosely attached in the rear. There's a clip that goes on the strut bar but no other clear point of attachment at the rear of that piece. The front of that piece is pretty firmly attached. Once that piece was out, and no other piece, the rattle went away completely.

This brings up the questions in the title of the thread. Is this an issue for anyone else? Is anyone else removing their engine covers for anything other than the track?

Thanks!

ecorpuz12
09-15-10, 10:51 AM
good question, what kind of functionality do the covers even provide? i keep mine on only because i don't want to have something else laying about to clutter up my garage. maybe removing them will shave .024secs off the 0-60 time because of the weight savings. i haven't experienced the rattle that you described.

mannyz
09-15-10, 10:55 AM
I remove them when im doing spirited driving. I dont particularly like the way the engine looks so I keep the covers on otherwise. Im not sure if its better statistically to keep them on or off.

Tedboss1
09-15-10, 10:56 AM
I had a rattle from the passenger cover but it was because the clip that goes on strut bar was broken off.
I had the cover replaced by the dealer under warranty. Rattle is gone.
I did take off the engine cover to improve cooling. I will put it back in the winter.

cbloveday
09-15-10, 11:10 AM
My cover on the passenger side has one of those grommits similar to the main cover (rubber circle that accepts the metal piece (Male/Female)).

It is located toward the front of that piece.

neuronbob
09-15-10, 12:50 PM
Thanks guys for the answers so far. Keep them coming.

Curtis, the front attachment is firmly in place. I just didn't see anything obvious in the rear to hold the rear passenger side of that particular cover down. As a result, it flaps and moves when the car is moving, and especially when the supercharger spools up. I didn't see anything obviously broken on the underside of that area.

That sound was aggravating! *covers ears*

cbloveday
09-15-10, 01:33 PM
Sorry, I misunderstood you.

3m double sided tape my man!

neuronbob
09-15-10, 01:42 PM
:rofl:

And good idea.

JFJr
09-15-10, 04:48 PM
I keep all of my covers on, but it would be nice not to have to remove the main cover to add oil (although I've never had to between changes). I noticed that the small black cover on the driver's side slides a bit at the rear nearest the radiator overflow reservoir and engine compartment brace. I don't get any extraneous noise from the engine compartment so I should probably leave well enough alone.

Jud

cbloveday
09-15-10, 05:06 PM
Sorry, I misunderstood you.

3m double sided tape my man!

:rofl:

And good idea.

Or you could use double sided 3m tape with velcro. LOL

surgin
09-15-10, 07:36 PM
took them off over a year ago for drag racing and never put them back on

backup
09-15-10, 07:57 PM
I took them off the first evening I got the car and haven't put them back on. I figure perhaps better cooling and maybe better sound. Plus it seems anybody that want to see the engine does not want to see a plastic cover.

dvandentop
09-15-10, 08:39 PM
mine has been sitting in the attic since i got the car home back last december

RippyPartsDept
09-15-10, 09:08 PM
the covers around the radiator (top, bottom, sides) are there for airflow to make sure it goes thru the fins of the radiator
you may run hot if you remove any of those
not sure any of the top engine covers are there for airflow (probably just for looks)

cbloveday
09-15-10, 11:00 PM
If you are serious about stopping the rattle and retaining the engine dressup parts, I would use some sort of double tape that has foam in between each side. I know 3m makes this and I have some in my garage. I would use a very minimal amount, perhaps the size of a dime, near the place where the plastic meets the crosstower bar.
The thickness should provide a snug fit and the tape will hold it in place securely.

I may have this problem but my vehicle exhaust note covers it and I have never heard a peep.

M-1028
09-16-10, 11:16 AM
I took them off the first evening I got the car and haven't put them back on. I figure perhaps better cooling and maybe better sound. Plus it seems anybody that want to see the engine does not want to see a plastic cover.

Same here

Club Malibu
09-16-10, 12:02 PM
Same here too!

cbloveday
09-16-10, 03:40 PM
If you want to keep your engine dressup kit from rattling, use these:
They can be found at Autozone or similar Automotive Shop.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001QCXXYG?&tag=shopwiki-us-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=9325

I'm just about out of ideas here.

readyact
09-16-10, 09:27 PM
I took mine off a couple of months ago after I got Jesse's tune.