: clicking wheel tsb?

e6t
09-14-10, 11:51 PM
i cant search this forum for sht.

can someone point me to the tsb for the clicking wheels?

i rode in my buddy's car today and i heard it clicking as we navigated the parking garage.

tia

baabootoo
09-14-10, 11:56 PM
Have your buddy take it to the dealer, they'll know what to do......

NC_Cadzilla
09-15-10, 07:53 AM
Is it true the new wheels cause more noise than the originals?

Domsz06
09-15-10, 08:09 AM
it all depends. Mine doesn't click at all with 31k on the clock.

ewill3rd
09-15-10, 08:17 AM
Technically it is a PI and not a TSB. There is a difference albeit slight.

The new wheels have fixed each car I have installed them on, however I do more than just put wheels on. I take the rotors off, clean everything and put it all back together using the torque specs and so far I have not seen one come back clicking.
We did some Monday and I think that was the 5th or 6th set my helper and I have mounted.

tedcmiller
09-15-10, 02:17 PM
Anytime you remove the wheels and reinstall them, the clicking will stop - temporarily. The clicking will probably come back shortly, in a few thousand miles, or not for a very long time or distance. Maybe, for all practical purposes, never. It all depends on the car and what is done. Apparently the new wheels, based on other posts, do not solve the clicking problem for everyone.

Domsz06
09-15-10, 03:04 PM
Anytime you remove the wheels and reinstall them, the clicking will stop - temporarily. The clicking will probably come back shortly, in a few thousand miles, or not for a very long time or distance. Maybe, for all practical purposes, never. It all depends on the car and what is done. Apparently the new wheels, based on other posts, do not solve the clicking problem for everyone.

I personally feel that all you have to do to elimate it is take them off, take the rotors off, clean all well and put back on. I did that to mine (to paint the rotors, not due to clicking) and still no clicking.

DrumStix
09-15-10, 09:12 PM
Mine got worse.

ewill3rd
09-15-10, 09:13 PM
My evolving theory (with no proof mind you) is that the construction of the new parts is the root cause of this issue.
The hub flanges are not flat, they have raised portions in the center and the outer edge, you have some funky composite aluminum rotors on a steel hub with an aluminum wheel and the hub centers are prone to heavy corrosion under certain conditions. I think this combination looks like it could cause issues.
The redesign of the wheels can help but I don't think it is THE answer.

RippyPartsDept
09-15-10, 10:12 PM
wasn't there a thread recently where the cadillac service guy on here was keeping track of this issue with the forum members who were experiencing it?

Gary Wells
09-15-10, 10:43 PM
wasn't there a thread recently where the cadillac service guy on here was keeping track of this issue with the forum members who were experiencing it?

Not to my knowledge. Whom you are speaking of would probably be ewill3rd in Alexandria, VA. and I believe that he is tracking the repairs that he does at his dealership, not throughout the forum, and his statement is about 5 posts up above your post on this thread. I have sort of tracked the threads regarding wheel clicking for my own interest but I have not recorded a "Cradle to grave" chart so to speak. If you are interested in learning some of the history of this issue / non-issue you can do a search under "click" and / or "clicking" and go through the pages of threads and posts, but you will probably come to the same conclusions that I have. Happy reading!
(It is a very interesting read, FWIW).

There is an GM engineer on here, Matt Reiland, or user name (MReiland) that has helped numerous members on here with various problems by escalating the report with GM, but I doubt that he keeps track of the forum issues, only those reported to him or ones where he has intervened with to help). I am sure that he keeps a close eye on the situation though.

RippyPartsDept
09-15-10, 11:09 PM
found it
thread: http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-cts-v-series-forum-2009/202022-front-tires-clicking-again-new-solution.html
user Cadillac Cust Svc http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/member.php?u=105125

another_lap
09-16-10, 10:20 PM
My solution to this annoying problem was to buy two sheets of 12" x 12" exhaust manifold gasket, and cut out templates that exactly fit over the hub and lug bolts. Then I bolt the whole thing together, torqued to 140lb-ft. After 8000 miles, there is still no clicking. No surprise, as the wheel and hub are no longer in contact, separated by the barrier that is the gasket. I do check lug nut torque weekly to make sure everything is nice and snug (I do not loosen anything, just make sure everything is tight).

I would not recommend this to anyone who will not diligently and regularly check that the nuts remain tight. Performing the check is still less trouble and time than dealing with the inept dealer staff. Also, it solves the problem, which the dealers are incapable of doing.

(I know, I know, the dealers cant do anything that GM does not bless, blah blah blah... They are still inept. That fact is the single major down-fall of this fabulous car: the 1970's vintage, bowling-alley mentality of the typical Cadillac service department)

another_lap

Gary Wells
09-16-10, 11:10 PM
My solution to this annoying problem was to buy two sheets of 12" x 12" exhaust manifold gasket, and cut out templates that exactly fit over the hub and lug bolts. Then I bolt the whole thing together, torqued to 140lb-ft. After 8000 miles, there is still no clicking. No surprise, as the wheel and hub are no longer in contact, separated by the barrier that is the gasket. I do check lug nut torque weekly to make sure everything is nice and snug (I do not loosen anything, just make sure everything is tight).

I would not recommend this to anyone who will not diligently and regularly check that the nuts remain tight. Performing the check is still less trouble and time than dealing with the inept dealer staff. Also, it solves the problem, which the dealers are incapable of doing.

(I know, I know, the dealers cant do anything that GM does not bless, blah blah blah... They are still inept. That fact is the single major down-fall of this fabulous car: the 1970's vintage, bowling-alley mentality of the typical Cadillac service department)

another_lap

How thick is the gasket material & where did you purchase it?

another_lap
09-17-10, 09:48 PM
About 2mm thick. It is quite a tough material. Clearly heat-resistant since it is for exhaust manifolds. Thought that would be a good idea to use something heat resistent, given the potential heat generated by the brakes. I bought it at O'Reilly auto parts.

Gary Wells
09-17-10, 10:10 PM
About 2mm thick. It is quite a tough material. Clearly heat-resistant since it is for exhaust manifolds. Thought that would be a good idea to use something heat resistent, given the potential heat generated by the brakes. I bought it at O'Reilly auto parts.

Thanks, another_lap, let us know how it works out. Good luck with the cure.

DrumStix
09-18-10, 03:09 PM
I just fixed my in 10 minutes. A dab of white lithium grease on the rotor hats all the way around and it's perfectly quiet now. There is so much surface tension on the rotor hats that you can feel it when you run your hand around it. There is no surface to surface give there and any play in the lugs will make this surface grab and skip, creating the clicking noise. This rates as one of those extremely easy fixes that anyone could easily do.

shchow
09-18-10, 03:09 PM
What is the recommended torque for the lugs?

DrumStix
09-18-10, 03:10 PM
What is the recommended torque for the lugs?

158 lb ft

shchow
09-18-10, 07:12 PM
158 lb ft

Thanks.
That is pretty tight. My M5 was at 88 lb/ft...

ewill3rd
09-18-10, 08:51 PM
If they haven't been to 158 before, use the stock spec of 140 lb. ft.
I only go to 158 if they still click after the repair.

C6Z06
09-18-10, 08:59 PM
Is it true the new wheels cause more noise than the originals?

Mine did and that sucks. Back to the dealer again I guess.

Ross L
09-18-10, 09:04 PM
Why not try drumstixs idea? Like he stated, 10 minutes and you're done, never to visit the dealer because of wheel clicking again(hopefully). I used permatex gasket material, same results, no clicking. Didn't even check the torque, lol.
Ross

Gary Wells
09-18-10, 09:39 PM
Why not try drumstixs idea? Like he stated, 10 minutes and you're done, never to visit the dealer because of wheel clicking again(hopefully). I used permatex gasket material, same results, no clicking. Didn't even check the torque, lol.
Ross
Ross L.:
How many miles on yours since the repair?

RapidRob
09-18-10, 09:48 PM

Unless they didn't clean/torque them correctly while installing the new wheels. Ya never know for sure .... !?

Rob

Ross L
09-18-10, 11:18 PM
Gary, maybe 5-6K? A little more on the sunroof "fix". Now I'm working a wind/motor noise issue as a result of a windshield replacement. This one's getting me down.

DrumStix
09-18-10, 11:50 PM

Please see fix above (that's why I posted it). :D

DrumStix
09-18-10, 11:50 PM
Ross

:cheers:

DrumStix
09-18-10, 11:51 PM
dupe

DrumStix
09-18-10, 11:52 PM
Unless they didn't clean/torque them correctly while installing the new wheels. Ya never know for sure .... !?

Rob

I watched them.

IBNR
09-20-10, 02:42 PM
Drumstix, where exactly did you put that grease? Did you do it with the wheels mounted, or do they have to be removed? Can you describe exactly what you did for those of us that are technically challenged?

I did the first TSB (remove, clean, reinstall & torque to 158) a couple of weeks ago and seems to have worked so far, but many others have also done this and the noise eventually comes back. I do not have the new wheels (yet), as I want to see if I can solve it without going that route (which itself may or may not solve it).

DrumStix
09-20-10, 03:11 PM
Drumstix, where exactly did you put that grease? Did you do it with the wheels mounted, or do they have to be removed? Can you describe exactly what you did for those of us that are technically challenged?

I did the first TSB (remove, clean, reinstall & torque to 158) a couple of weeks ago and seems to have worked so far, but many others have also done this and the noise eventually comes back. I do not have the new wheels (yet), as I want to see if I can solve it without going that route (which itself may or may not solve it).

I removed the wheel, laid it backside up and dabbed a little white lithium grease only on the surface that mates to the rotor hub, then rubbed it around. Make sure to keep it off the wheel lugs as it will drastically alter your torque specs. Torquing a bolt to 140 covered in grease would actually be hundreds of ft lbs on the bolt itself. I don't imagine it would survive long so just use good lube discipline. :)

TheM16
09-20-10, 04:14 PM
yeah I live in Qatar and Im having the same damn problem my V clicks when I turn fully left only on low speeds and its annoying for a new car I gotta take it to the dealer ASAP but are guys sure of this solution cuz i hate it when they play with my car even if they are the dealers ...

IBNR
09-23-10, 02:35 AM
"Just use good lube discipline." Words to live by!

baabootoo
09-27-10, 01:05 AM
Did anyone see the hot rod show this weekend where they checked torques with oil and lubes? ALL but the ARP lube was very low. I'm wondering what torque all of us have our wheels at then.........

PSRmark
09-27-10, 01:25 AM
They actually just upped the torque spec to 158 ft lbs for this concern. I've replaced a few wheels already under this PI.

ewill3rd
09-27-10, 08:20 AM
The PI was updated 9/13 to reflect the upddated torque spec of 158 lb. ft.