: 2011 Jag Jaguar SWB ... Just drove one and got a purchase quote!

orconn
09-14-10, 04:51 PM
I finally got around to driving the new Jag XJ sedan and I have to say I was "underwhelmed." From the pictures I had scene I was not taken with the car, but felt I should try one out, if for no other reason that I have owned many XJs over the years and wanted to see how the new model compared.

Giving the car's exterior close scrutiny in the showroom up close and from a ways back I can honestly say that the new design is so much rehash of other make's contemporary designs. The car has none of the unique flair for which Jags have been known since they came to this country. From the cowl back the car is "Ho-Hum" generic luxo four door coupe with only the badging giving away that it is a Jaguar. The so-called rendition of the original 1968 series I XJ's grill and hood really doesn't go with the rest of the car .... in in fact looks a bit swollen as though someone had cocked the poor thing in the nose!

The interior rather than being an modern interpretation of Jaguar "traditional," was a strange combination of recent Pontiac and '90s Lincoln stylying. The veneer seemed an unnecessary add on to the car's Pontiac-esque dash with its' truly distasteful HVAC outlets in the form of oversized jet nacels. The quality seemed quite good, although I was challenged to notice after the shock of the interiors design abominations.

I almost didn't want to waste my driving the thing, but felt I should at least see how the new model performed. What I chose to drive was the standard short wheel base model which was fitted out with about $8000. in extra accessories and miscellaneous extra cost goodies. For a luxury (read exceutive class) sedan the performance was certainly adequate but not really exceptional for the class. It was smooth on surface streets and certainly up to pleasant Freeway driving and not bad for a large sedan on the twisties. But certainly not head and shoulders above so many other sedans costing far less.

And then there was the car's $82,000. price tag ($72,000. base with so many accesories that should have been standard at its' base price). I have to say I was left with opinion that this car might appeal to the naive status seeker, but certainly didn't deliver on the unique qualities that made Jaguars special automobiles in the past.

I came away hoping that Jags new owners can revive the mark's sense of style and recapture the Jaguar's respected place in automotive history ..... but I really don't give that happening much hope.

To sum up my thoughts, given the new XJ's mediocrity of design both interior and exterior and its' hefty price tag, I would have to extend my time as a Jaguar owner by finding a nice clean, low mileage recent model XJ and forget about forking out even bigger bucks for a 2011 model!

I almost forgot, there was one thing I really did like about the new XJ, as Jaguars always do, this really smelled great!

ga_etc
09-14-10, 05:12 PM
I hate to hear that the car was such a disappointment. I think the classic Jags have much more charm and character than the new ones anyway.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
09-14-10, 06:49 PM
I really like the way the new ones look, but if they don't have the same charm as the old ones, then what's the point I guess? But if I'm not mistaken, Jaguar wanted to get away from their old image, but much like someone who's trying to find a new "cooler" personality, it's much easier to stick with what you know and exceed at.

orconn
09-14-10, 07:32 PM
I have heard Jaguar's reason for 2011 XJ was that the previous model was "too" traditional and sales were not what they expected or needed for that model. The recent XJ8 is both larger and taller than XJs of the past ... both excellent changes that have been needed for some time. In my opinion this XJ* got the proprtions right while at the same time preserving the traditional Jaguar lines that made the car distinctive, and some would say desirable. Truth be told Jaguars have never really competed well with the most expensive performance cars from Mercedes and BMW or even Audi. But that wasn't really the point Jagaur supplied a very adeguate personal luxury car for those that desired flair and beauty of design with better than avarage materials, with very good performance and ride at a reasonable price. To me the 2004 to 2010 XJ8 exemplifies the best that was Jaguar at a relatively reasonable price. The boy wonders of the automotive press that pronounced it "old fashioned" were not the clientele that buys this car and as so often happens the wizbang journalist amy have hurt the cars sales with those who rely on public opinion for their choices in automobile.

If I were to buy a new (to me) car to replace my '95 Seville it would definitely be a recent model Jaguar XJ8.

Destroyer
09-14-10, 09:21 PM
I have heard Jaguar's reason for 2011 XJ was that the previous model was "too" traditional and sales were not what they expected or needed for that model. The recent XJ8 is both larger and taller than XJs of the past ... both excellent changes that have been needed for some time. In my opinion this XJ* got the proprtions right while at the same time preserving the traditional Jaguar lines that made the car distinctive, and some would say desirable. Truth be told Jaguars have never really competed well with the most expensive performance cars from Mercedes and BMW or even Audi. But that wasn't really the point Jagaur supplied a very adeguate personal luxury car for those that desired flair and beauty of design with better than avarage materials, with very good performance and ride at a reasonable price. To me the 2004 to 2010 XJ8 exemplifies the best that was Jaguar at a relatively reasonable price. The boy wonders of the automotive press that pronounced it "old fashioned" were not the clientele that buys this car and as so often happens the wizbang journalist amy have hurt the cars sales with those who rely on public opinion for their choices in automobile.

If I were to buy a new (to me) car to replace my '95 Seville it would definitely be a recent model Jaguar XJ8.
The '04-'10 appeal to me only in XJR trim. To me the generation before them were more attractive. :yup:

orconn
09-14-10, 11:08 PM
Different strokes for different folks! I prefer the VandenPlas and could care less about the XJR. For me the XJ doesn't need the enhancementas of the XJR to fulfill its purpose in my garage.

Bro-Ham
09-15-10, 11:58 AM
I like the new XJ. Sexy car, unique styling, the taillights are so unique and expensive looking. I didn't care much at all for the previous body style XJ, the 95-03 cars were more Jaguar to me, and nothing beats the old XJ series III made through 1987 for thorough Britishness. :)

Orr, I think you need to quit with these new Jags that never seem to please you and get on the waiting list for the real thing, something sure to tickle you:
http://www.mulsanne.bentleymotors.com/

:)

Stingroo
09-15-10, 12:09 PM
^ I agree completely.

I also notice it comes in orange. :drool:

Bro-Ham
09-15-10, 01:07 PM
Sting, at least there is a car that can be ordered in probably any color Cadillac ever made and has apparently forgotten about. :)

Stingroo
09-15-10, 01:11 PM
Yeah. Like for example, you can't (never could) get a CTS-V in Hot Lava.

That's one sexy color too.

And yeah, if I ever hit the lottery or find some other means to afford a car of that caliber, I would totally have an orange one with a white leather interior. Commonality be damned! Be different.

ga_etc
09-15-10, 02:52 PM
That Mulsanne looks dorky from full on front. Too Cheshire Cat for me.

Bro-Ham
09-15-10, 03:06 PM
I'm sure you would feel differently if you saw one roll up in the rear view mirror of your Roadmaster, then try to catch a glimpse of it as it luxuriously flowed by you. :)

orconn
09-15-10, 04:17 PM
While the Mulsanne has it merits, I think I would spend my money refurbuishing and updating a Rolls Silver Cloud (my favorite Rolls) or finding a mid-nineties Bentley Azure. Midnite blue with a matching top and Tobac interior, please!

Bro-Ham
09-15-10, 04:34 PM
Orr, then get with it! I think you deserve automotive pleasure more than any guy I know! :) :) :)

ga_etc
09-15-10, 04:40 PM
Dave, I just don't like the headlamp treatment on that car. I'm not saying that I'm not in awe of it's price tag or luxury quotient, just that it's a bit unsightly from looking at it from straight on. If I saw one in my rear view, I would hope it would do more than flow by me, as I think looks best from the rear.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
09-15-10, 08:21 PM
Dave, speaking of outlandish over the top british cars, I saw an early '80s Rolls Royce Corniche yesterday, in SOUTH ST. PAUL of all places. White with the dark tan top and tan interior. Beautiful, beautiful car.

hueterm
09-15-10, 08:27 PM
Mine would be a Bentley Continental R...........