: More Power

ThumperPup
09-14-10, 03:07 PM
Ok now before you all jump on me i know that only way to addd more power and get more power out of our N's is to add some cool graphics maybe a logo that says super charger and oh some cool pin stripes and all
LMAO

but no in all seriousnous
i know that its been said a million times GM built these cars and tuned the Engine with almost as much power as they could put out
but if im having the block replaced that means the entire engine is comming apart right ?

ok so when they have it all apart and put it all back togethere is there anyting that anyone could think about that Could be doen to give it a little more power ?
not talking something external talking something internal anyting they could do at all
just curiouse

Submariner409
09-14-10, 03:29 PM
During overhaul would be the perfect time for some sort of parts upgrade - if anyone made "speed parts" for a 2000 FWD PCM controlled Northstar package - which they don't.

ThumperPup
09-14-10, 03:45 PM
darn now that just sucks :(
is it the PCM THat tells the car not to work with a STS engine in a SLS or what is it exactly
thinking maybe some parts from a STS engine into the SLS enging during overhual but not sure anyting would work

STSS
09-14-10, 04:15 PM
:horse::duh:

ThumperPup
09-14-10, 04:30 PM
:horse::duh:

Hey why you beating on that pure old dog thats not nice man

STSS
09-14-10, 04:42 PM
Sorry:duh:

SLS vs STS = "L" is for :zzloser:

ThumperPup
09-14-10, 05:12 PM
from what i have heard and also seen um we got more on the gas at first so unless your on a long run and not sure and have a Z rated i bet i can take your sts on the jump

STSS
09-14-10, 05:43 PM
What do you mean by "on the jump"?

0-60 mph for 2001 STS = 6.5 seconds.... wanna guess at what a 2001 SLS runs? It aint under 7.....

ThumperPup
09-14-10, 06:32 PM
from what i have heard and seen ones i have more jump oi put my foot on the gas and i leave faster then you thats what i mean
i think it has to do with the grears and torqe but i think its true yeah you can go faster in that but i still can take you from a jump thats what i mean

ThumperPup
09-14-10, 06:55 PM
What do you mean by "on the jump"?

0-60 mph for 2001 STS = 6.5 seconds.... wanna guess at what a 2001 SLS runs? It aint under 7.....

SLS Our torque advantage gives us the jump

here is a link to where someone posted oh heck ill just copy and past some of the stuff said in another area here fo ryou to read

Dont worry Pup! We can still take an STS off the line!!! Our torque advantage gives us the jump and not to many improv light to light races get up to 112 mph. And with the MPG advantage the SLS has we also have more money for beer while they are filling up the tank. In addition, I enjoy the softer more luxurious handling that Caddy owners (and my back) demand.

5 ft/lb of torque (at the top of the curve) is lost in driver reaction time.
..........and 2-3 mpg won't break the bank..........

Submariner409
09-14-10, 07:01 PM
from what i have heard and seen ones i have more jump oi put my foot on the gas and i leave faster then you thats what i mean
i think it has to do with the grears and torqe but i think its true yeah you can go faster in that but i still can take you from a jump thats what i mean

You believed what another member posted about his SLS having more low-end torque so therefore it would take a STS off the line - That is patently false, as anyone who has informally or track raced the two can testify.

Torque is a power producer, BUT when and where it is applied is the speed determinant, an estimated 5 ft/lb of torque in the midrange is inconsequential, and the grossly different final drive ratios between the two cars gives the STS a very real "off the line" advantage.

Silly Internet talk won't do it - Google something like "cadillac seville track times", "cadillac seville drag race times" or variations on the theme - I'll bet you come up with enough tables and talk to keep you busy for hours.

ThumperPup
09-14-10, 07:27 PM
Ok so maybe im wrong excuse me and that wasnt the only place iv read it or heard it before iv heard if form a few and even when my Tranny Mechanic said i have more torq when i asked him waht the difrance between the transmissoions and torq converters froma SLS and Sts was he said that
so ok i guess im wrong but no reason to bite my ass about it

and also no reason for someone to come in and be a jerk saying SLS stands for L and in Looser or someting

just got a little over protective of my baby when i heard that

Submariner409
09-14-10, 08:38 PM
Pup, You're not "wrong" - no Sorry needed. SLS is one car, STS is another. They were built and marketed to two different groups and they are designed to do different things. Fact. As I posted, do some Google work and get opinions, facts, and ideas from other sources...............

ThumperPup
09-14-10, 09:59 PM
Pup, You're not "wrong" - no Sorry needed. SLS is one car, STS is another. They were built and marketed to two different groups and they are designed to do different things. Fact. As I posted, do some Google work and get opinions, facts, and ideas from other sources...............

cool thanks sub im going to do that tonight i just dont understnad how come a new engine for a STS cost less then a new Engine for a SLS atleast from GM its like 600 more for a SLS engine then a STS i dont get why

Ranger
09-14-10, 10:12 PM
The SLS (LD8) has slightly more HP and torque up to about 4500 RPM. How that equates to a side by side race I don't know (or really care for that matter). I guess that's where the final drive ratios come into play.

STSS
09-15-10, 09:41 AM
SLS is one car, STS is another. They were built and marketed to two different groups and they are designed to do different things.

EXACTLY.... neither car is deficient or "detuned", they were just designed for different purposes.

Anyone who did their research before they bought their Seville went looking for either an STS or an SLS (or they knew which they wanted once they drove each).... they are two totally different beasts designed for totally different people.

All that said, if you're at all performance oriented, you'd buy an STS.... not that everyone that drives an SLS is a loser, they're just going to lose if they line up next to me wanting to race.... but I'd rather be driving their car when I pull up next to them on the turnpike while I'm driving 8 hours for vacation.

98eldo32v
09-15-10, 11:26 AM
Has anyone ever done any cylinder head work to these engines and found any improvement? Bowl blending, valve jobs etc?

Ranger
09-15-10, 01:17 PM
You are exactly right STSS. "They are two totally different beasts designed for totally different people." Could not have said it better.
When I bought the '02 SLS that my daughter is now selling, I specifically looked for an SLS. I wanted no part of an STS. I wanted ride comfort and fuel mileage, as opposed to an extra 25 HP and ridiculously expensive struts.

ThumperPup
09-15-10, 02:02 PM
hey ranger the struts on your doughters 02 sls what are they i have the rediculous exspensive struts on my sls didnt know they did difrnat struts on the SLS and STS untill 2003 i thout was when they changed over
but dont you have the F45 suspension on that car i know i have it on my SLS

STSS
09-15-10, 03:24 PM
You are exactly right STSS. "They are two totally different beasts designed for totally different people." Could not have said it better.
When I bought the '02 SLS that my daughter is now selling, I specifically looked for an SLS. I wanted no part of an STS. I wanted ride comfort and fuel mileage, as opposed to an extra 25 HP and ridiculously expensive struts.

You were actually the person I was thinking about when I typed that.... I know you like that "Cadillac ride".

Ranger
09-15-10, 10:49 PM
My daughters SLS has passive struts. FE1 (soft ride) suspension I THINK. You have the Magnaride struts and I think they are somewhere around $500 each. I didn't know Magnaride was an option in 2000. I was thinking the active suspension was the older CVRSS and if I am not mistaken they are quite a bit more expensive (as if $500 each is not bad enough).

ThumperPup
09-15-10, 11:09 PM
My daughters SLS has passive struts. FE1 (soft ride) suspension I THINK. You have the Magnaride struts and I think they are somewhere around $500 each. I didn't know Magnaride was an option in 2000. I was thinking the active suspension was the older CVRSS and if I am not mistaken they are quite a bit more expensive (as if $500 each is not bad enough).

isnt the Magnride the F55 ?
i have the F45 not magneride atleast not that im aware of i dont think they came out with them untill 2003 or 2002 at the erliest from waht i thout i have heard

hmm i didnt knwo they did a option without the ride controeld dampering and all suspension in 2002 atleast on GM partdirect its not showing up or anyting
wondering who would buy a car for 40 or 50 and not use that one option of hte auto ride control wich i guess is good when you think about it cost afective and all

i know my front stuts on gmpart direct and gm parts giants i was just looking today and they show the MSRP at 1100 but there cost is 600 for frotns and 550 for back si think

Ranger
09-15-10, 11:16 PM
OK, now I'm officially confused, but it sounds like my thinking was correct based on your $1100 figure (Just what I wanted to avoid). I think you are correct in that F55 is magnaride. F45 must be the CVR$$ (valved) struts then. Maybe someone who knows better can post the suspension codes and definitions.

wondering who would buy a car for 40 or 50 and not use that one option of hte auto ride control

Like STSS said, it's personal preference.

ThumperPup
09-15-10, 11:18 PM
i still dont get it never seen a 1998 plus cadillac with passive struts from the factory
are you the first owner are you shure that they where nto replaced with passive perhaps ? wow look at me askign that and low miles you have ij ust cant belive they didnt put them on your doughters also

ThumperPup
09-15-10, 11:20 PM
still also on any of my cars the caddy and all my lincosn i never spent more then 200 a peace for struts or shocks before
i used to know the owner of bag master air he got me remaned struts for my lincoln for 180 a peace and rear bags for 100 a peace

and every nwo and then i search ebay thbiknig if i find someone with used struts under 80k for like 100 each ill just buy them for th hell of it but when i see ppl psot oh i think iv been told 300 a peace is a good deal for used ones with a 100k i jsut wana bust out at times but i am nice and dont because if someoen did that to me id be uspet also

but i see them used for like 100 a peace 125 max usualy with about 100 k on them

150 with like 100 and under so if i do keep the caddy and whern i need it ill jsut go used what could it hurt getting used mine with 160k still ride preaty darn good for me i think so used with like 80k wouldnt be that bad id otn think

Ranger
09-15-10, 11:39 PM
I bought the car with 13K on it so I'm sure they are OEM and are passive. So are the ones on my '03 DHS. Plenty of '98+ Cadillacs with passive struts. I think the STS's all had active struts. Maybe that's what you are thinking of.

RippyPartsDept
09-15-10, 11:40 PM
Ranger you were mistaken at first, but your last post (#23) is exactly correct - e$pecially the part about the prices
i just priced out CVR$$ struts for another member
i can knock off about $400 from list on the fronts (each) but i can't get to $600 - I'm at about $750
so unless those other parts websites charge a ton of freight i can't compete with their prices
plus monroe sells some struts supposedly for around $400 each
(this other member was going to probably use them - i told him to post back after the install to let everyone know if they're a good deal or not)

great thread you started Pup, lots of misinformation was addressed

and by the way i asked my suspension master tech about those CVR$$ in regards to lifespan and he said 100,000 miles is usually the average, but can go way up if you never drive over bumps

ThumperPup
09-15-10, 11:56 PM
i can tell you i drive over bumps i drove about 40k this past year living in Detroit and still no issues nock on wood

i think i heard some stuff in here about monroe struts are not good for long have heard someone say those Aftermatkets they make dont last long maybe a year or 2 tops before looseing the ride and all

ThumperPup
09-15-10, 11:58 PM
here is the exact break down on dm parts direct prices

W/realtime damping Right
98-02 $1,180.12MSRP Our Price Your Prise $613.66

W/realtime damping Left
98-02 $1,140.42MSRP Our Price Your Price $593.02

i never really understood how come they charge less for one side then they do for the others anyone know ?

Ranger
09-16-10, 12:14 AM
Keep in mind that gmpartsdirect has lower prices, but they make it up on high shipping costs.

ThumperPup
09-16-10, 12:25 AM
dan yeah jsut checked that they are out of there mind 135 dollars to ship a sruts thats freaking out ragouse man one thing that i have learned with some companys is alot of times they will work with shipping prices cause a few times i have jsut turned around and after going threw the ordering proces at the end of giving them just befor ethe last 4 of myc ard number i say you know that shipping in high there has to be something you can do and usualy they will lower it

RippyPartsDept
09-16-10, 12:38 AM
ok if those prices for shipping are correct then i guess i am competitive w/ gmpartsdirect (still going to be a bit more, but not much)

and as for why the different prices, nobody can ever really tell
i think it has to do w/ supply and demand sometimes with left/right price differences, but these are usually replaced together so who knows

ThumperPup
09-16-10, 01:27 AM
iv actualy found atleast with the lincolsn iv owned and the others i know who have had any cars with Electronic and air ajustable shocks or struts that they dont nesasarly repalce them at the same time
because one could blow out and the other could still be good
whyll with passive struts and shocks there so cheap why not replace them at the same time but with these i would or could think it has to dow ith suply in demand i guess
i know perosnaly even if i have 50k sitting around to spend if one strut or shock blew out and the other was ok im not going to repalce them both just going to replace the ones thats bad

Submariner409
09-16-10, 09:35 AM
FWIW, Magnetic Ride Control (F55), installed on STS only, began at the start of production on 01-15-02 and continued for STS only until the end of STS production in June of 03. No STS was built after that date - 06/03 on the driver's door sticker. SLS (different suspension) continued to 12/03.

(If someone has a "2004" STS that simply means that the car is probably an export, sat around for 6 or 8 months, and was titled in the export country in 2004. All an owner need do is to look at the build date on the driver's door sticker: that's the date you want parts for, NOT the title date.)

Skiller.
09-16-10, 11:26 AM
Not sure how this turned into a suspension discussion, but I have driven both cars. I drove an SLS for a year and now I have an STS. I can say that the STS is faster in all aspects. It's also MUCH better around the turns, but no where near as soft of a ride as the SLS.

RippyPartsDept
09-16-10, 11:54 AM
yeah, like noted above ... the rear gearing has everything to do with this, since the two engines are very close in power output

ThumperPup
09-16-10, 12:08 PM
i think it turned into a Suspension discusion over a few other things when we where talking SLS and STS and what one would look for between the two difrant internal and compnonents and all whent hey bought the same car body style but difrant performance and then when ranger said he has the soft ride passive fromt he facotry i was amazed they used those i havent ever seen one before like that

Destroyer
09-17-10, 12:15 AM
How about a coffee can exhaust tip? Add some Flowmaster stickers and you are all set.....................:cool2:

ThumperPup
09-17-10, 12:28 AM
naw man i never do that i was thinkng more along the lines of pin stripig corsa custome on the side that might add whatr about 5 hp LMAO
naw but i really am not into flow master