: If you where me with my Caddy what would you do

ThumperPup
09-14-10, 01:55 PM
Ok just curiouse to see if you where Me with My Caddy
what would you do would you dump another 3400 or so into it or would you just send it to a bone yard and say the hell with it

keep in mind

Headgaskets where doen 4 months back

Tranny was rebuilt 3 weeks back

now the block is cracked

so what would you do

Jesda
09-14-10, 03:10 PM
Haul it home, part it out. Buy a Corolla.

ThumperPup
09-14-10, 03:16 PM
i owned a Carolla ones also owned a Lexus GS ones
worst cars i have ever owned i know alot of ppl are happy with toyota and lexus well not me never ever again LOL

but thats what you would do
i might use it to start my own pull apart but i would probalby **** it up taking it apart myself lol

Stingroo
09-14-10, 04:00 PM
Part it out and buy a cash car. I think you said you had $1500 saved, right? That's a good start right there. I only paid $1900 for my wagon, for example.

ThumperPup
09-14-10, 04:04 PM
see my dilema is why buy a cash car what ever cash car i get wont have a warranty so why spend money on a car like that when i could just put it in my car with no warranty lol see what im saying

orconn
09-14-10, 04:18 PM
With all the money you've already spent I would get the Sevilles block fixed and start saving for suspension repairs. With the kind of mileage your Seville has I would never have spent the money you have on the car .... but that water over the damn at this point. It is unlikey that a cheap replacement car will be in as good shape as yor Seville will be after you fix the block, but realize you are still saddled with an expensive high mileage car that is expensive to maintain. Do you get mileage for using your car at work? If so how much a mile? How much an hour are you making at this job? The problem may not be so much the car needs to be replaced as the job needs to be replaced.

ben.gators
09-14-10, 04:19 PM
see my dilema is why buy a cash car what ever cash car i get wont have a warranty so why spend money on a car like that when i could just put it in my car with no warranty lol see what im saying

Not all cash cars are going to be like your SLS.... Your were a bit unlucky. So far I never ever have financed a car and have always purchased just cash cars (Since I am student and do not like to go under long term commitments and financing charges etc.) Overall I am happy with the cash cars I have owned so far. However cash car shopping from carigslist is some sort of gambling, but a good professional inspection will keep you safe from abused cars and increase your chance of finding a good car.

Stingroo
09-14-10, 04:19 PM
Yeah but look at how expensive the parts are. You need something cheap to repair. A Cadillac does not fit that bill (well, a FWB would... but you get the point)

ThumperPup
09-14-10, 04:36 PM
With all the money you've already spent I would get the Sevilles block fixed and start saving for suspension repairs. With the kind of mileage your Seville has I would never have spent the money you have on the car .... but that water over the damn at this point. It is unlikey that a cheap replacement car will be in as good shape as yor Seville will be after you fix the block, but realize you are still saddled with an expensive high mileage car that is expensive to maintain. Do you get mileage for using your car at work? If so how much a mile? How much an hour are you making at this job? The problem may not be so much the car needs to be replaced as the job needs to be replaced.

Well i actualy just quit i told my boss that i just couldnt put miles on the car the way i was told him car is not in any shape to drive now if it was in shape and i didnt wana worry about limping it along for 2 more weeks and hope it wouldnt get worst then i would have just given 2 weeks notice but its not like i could do that with a car that i was jnot going to use the last leg on when i could hav eit for other things untill i could get it fixed

so i quit

my job was payingme 25 dollars per 4 hour shifts i was working an ave of 16 shifts a week plus i was getitng 4 dollars for every delivery i whent on plus 15 percent of every order and usualy order where around anywhere from 50 to 200 dollars
so it was ok money but not worth all its been costing me
plus i get to get 52cents per mile fromt he goverment when i file taxes but they only take that off my tax i will owe so if anyting i just wotn hav eto pay any taxes
the Struts and Shocks i had them looked at about 3 months ago and the stealer ship i mean dealerhsip evne told me they look great so ill worry about htat as time passes along but not going to worry about it right now

ThumperPup
09-14-10, 04:38 PM
Not all cash cars are going to be like your SLS.... Your were a bit unlucky. So far I never ever have financed a car and have always purchased just cash cars (Since I am student and do not like to go under long term commitments and financing charges etc.) Overall I am happy with the cash cars I have owned so far. However cash car shopping from carigslist is some sort of gambling, but a good professional inspection will keep you safe from abused cars and increase your chance of finding a good car.

i did go to like 3 or 4 places to look at cars from CL yesterday there where some 2000 and 2003 impalas and a 1997 Concord
and a 2002 buick Lesabrea
all for around 1900 - 3000 and each one sounded like mufflers where aboiut to fall off or didnt want to start or had engine lights and oil lights on lol

Stingroo
09-14-10, 05:15 PM
Keep looking man. There's a gem out there on every CL.

ThumperPup
09-14-10, 05:34 PM
i think im just going to fix it comes right down to it just going to do that
i got someone her locale whos going to give me a 12 month 24k warranty using jakes studs and a block from jake all for 3200 plus taxes even if i just fix it and then put it away and never drive it again or put it up on CL and try to sell it for 5500 wich would pay off what i owe and what i put into it atleast im just gona going to let it go to the wrecking yard i cant see that

hueterm
09-14-10, 07:45 PM
Hopefully your A/C compressor won't go out...

Sevillian273
09-14-10, 08:32 PM
So lemme get this straight.... At this point you are jobless and about to put 3400 into a cadillac? Sounds crazy.

Maybe put the caddy on the backburner while you drive something a little more sensible until you are back on your feet. I think you just WANT to fix it even though in may not be the most financially savvy thing to do right now.

77CDV
09-14-10, 08:46 PM
I say it's time to give up. Headgaskets are one thing. A cracked block is quite another. Even if you get it fixed, would you ever trust the car again? Part it out if you have the space an ability, and start over.

Jesda
09-14-10, 09:39 PM
Its not a car, its an anchor, not only in your driveway but in your life as well. Complicated luxury cars are toys for those with the means to not be practical. For anyone else its a burden.

Submariner409
09-14-10, 09:41 PM
Pup, with your business and your annual mileage you need a Honda van.

Destroyer
09-14-10, 10:13 PM
i owned a Carolla ones also owned a Lexus GS ones
worst cars i have ever owned i know alot of ppl are happy with toyota and lexus well not me never ever again LOL

but thats what you would do
i might use it to start my own pull apart but i would probalby **** it up taking it apart myself lolFirst and foremost I would learn to spell and write legibly. Seriously, this is bad. Tell me you are from another country and are just learning to write English and all will be well. This is constructive criticism, don't take it otherwise as I think you are pretty cool.

Secondly, I would junk the car, part it out and then junk it or sell it "as-is". These cars simply are not worth the investment. Had you asked, I would have told you to do the same before getting the H/G done. I did with my N* powered nightmare. :thumbsup:

ThumperPup
09-14-10, 10:20 PM
Hopefully your A/C compressor won't go out...

where is the AC compressor and how hard is it to get to it ?
on that note if its hard to get to then ill just get it repalced whyll its all out if itsjust costly but easy to get to i can go used and do it myself

ThumperPup
09-14-10, 10:22 PM
So lemme get this straight.... At this point you are jobless and about to put 3400 into a cadillac? Sounds crazy.

Maybe put the caddy on the backburner while you drive something a little more sensible until you are back on your feet. I think you just WANT to fix it even though in may not be the most financially savvy thing to do right now.

Jobless yes but Income less no i get about 1100 a month regardless and thats for life because of a lawsuite i won a long time ago

ThumperPup
09-14-10, 10:24 PM
Its not a car, its an anchor, not only in your driveway but in your life as well. Complicated luxury cars are toys for those with the means to not be practical. For anyone else its a burden.

yeah i kind of understand that i miss my Lincoln and i also miss my old Mercedes acutaly the reason i got the caddy was because the lease was up with the Mercedes i had it for 3 years at 580 a month for a s500 2005 model
and well to buy that they wanted me to pay another 580 a month for like 6 years and i wasnt about to do that but damm thats what if just spend here lol

ThumperPup
09-14-10, 10:26 PM
First and foremost I would learn to spell and write legibly. Seriously, this is bad. Tell me you are from another country and are just learning to write English and all will be well. This is constructive criticism, don't take it otherwise as I think you are pretty cool.

Secondly, I would junk the car, part it out and then junk it or sell it "as-is". These cars simply are not worth the investment. Had you asked, I would have told you to do the same before getting the H/G done. I did with my N* powered nightmare. :thumbsup:

Yo dude not much gets on my freaking bad side but when someone that doenst know me starts to talk about my spelling it think we may have come across this back when i first cmae on the boards im dyslexic and have a few disabilitsy i dont hid behind them but dude dont start to talk about my spelling please

Destroyer
09-14-10, 10:29 PM
Yo dude not much gets on my freaking bad side but when someone that doenst know me starts to talk about my spelling it think we may have come across this back when i first cmae on the boards im dyslexic and have a few disabilitsy i dont hid behind them but dude dont start to talk about my spelling please
My apologies. It is explained. :D

RippyPartsDept
09-14-10, 10:56 PM
to me it seems like you're in 'texting mode'
it's also very 'train of thought' writing
and without punctuation to help i have to re-read some parts sometimes

but now that you say dyslexic it totally makes sense. my good friend and old roommate was dyslexic (slightly)
and he had very similar writing style as you.

once again, good luck with the cracked block
i think it's cool that you're so in love (or maybe invested) with your Seville that you just can't bear to see her go

ThumperPup
09-15-10, 12:21 AM
to me it seems like you're in 'texting mode'
it's also very 'train of thought' writing
and without punctuation to help i have to re-read some parts sometimes

but now that you say dyslexic it totally makes sense. my good friend and old roommate was dyslexic (slightly)
and he had very similar writing style as you.

once again, good luck with the cracked block
i think it's cool that you're so in love (or maybe invested) with your Seville that you just can't bear to see her go

Yeah i really cant i am not ready to see it go
I love all the cars i ever had but sometimes it does get to a point where i just have to say enough is enought but not very often and im not really truly ready not yet

johnny kannapo
09-15-10, 12:41 PM
Not all are as proficient as others in spelling and grammer, myself included.

It's rather a snobbish reaction when anyone will criticize and instead try to understand.

Perhaps that person making the criticism lacks & is weak at the ability to decipher & selfishly gets a feeling of accomplishment correcting minor errors.

johnny kannapo
09-15-10, 12:49 PM
Pup- you have done everything far above & beyond the call of duty to keep your Caddy turning rubber. It's time to stick s fork in it. Maybe get something back selling parts. Swallow some pride & get something you can pay cash for and drive it till you can pile up some cash and find better terms to finance.

ben.gators
09-15-10, 05:43 PM
where is the AC compressor and how hard is it to get to it ?
on that note if its hard to get to then ill just get it repalced whyll its all out if itsjust costly but easy to get to i can go used and do it myself

If your AC compressor goes out you need a new AC compressor plus couple of other parts.... And by considering labor it can easily reach to 2000$!

ThumperPup
09-15-10, 06:05 PM
ok so easily 2000 but whats the most is the labor more then the parts or is the parts more then the labor just curiouse

Jesda
09-15-10, 06:26 PM
push it into a lake

set yourself free

ThumperPup
09-15-10, 08:56 PM
i seriously thout about that i think the only posible way to do anyting stupid and get away with it is to acutaly wreck it or something if it wasnt for the Low Jack that the Finacnial Company put in the car i would have left it in the gheto by now but they would have found it with my luck lol you know i may just go out the winter with it and hope someone hits me or somthign happens where no one gets hurt but the car gets wrecked on ice or bad snow or something like that
i just wonder if that could happen before the leak gets bad or worst then it is right now and starts to puke coolant
and if by some mericle it lasts till spring then ill just get it fixed then but not sxure if it will last threw the spring or not

hueterm
09-15-10, 09:10 PM

It's rather a snobbish reaction when anyone will criticize and instead try to understand.

Perhaps that person making the criticism lacks & is weak at the ability to decipher & selfishly gets a feeling of accomplishment correcting minor errors.

Um....is someone missing their high horse?

:horse:

Because it's in this guy's back yard.

Seriously -- he apologized. Additional sermons are....shall we say, snobbish???

Just my $.02...

ryannel2003
09-15-10, 09:10 PM
Dump the car. It's not going to get any cheaper as the mileage gets higher. Trust me... I learned the hard way.

hueterm
09-15-10, 09:13 PM
ok so easily 2000 but whats the most is the labor more then the parts or is the parts more then the labor just curiouse

Pup, I've had 3 done fairly recently. At the GM dealer, both were about $1400 and if I remember correctly, it was about half and half as far as parts and labor.

One of the three was done at an independent shop, and he charged about $1000, but his labor rate was cheaper.

Let's put it this way -- the compressor itself isn't cheap, plus you have all the freon and everything else.

I just don't think you should put another $3500+ into a car that could then need between $1000-$4000 worth of suspension work (depending on if you go factory or not), plus an A/C compressor that could go at any time, plus any number of things. The dash went out on my Deville -- it was $700 for a remanufactured unit. I'd sell or part out the STS and take that money plus the $3500+ and get something less expensive or more practical. Someone mentioned a van earlier...

ThumperPup
09-15-10, 09:35 PM
yeah that was something that im still want to get replaced but you know just because my SES light is busted i dont need it in ohio to pass and Echeck so not going to spend that mouch i have called a few places Remaned units are going to cost me 290 if i decide to swap mine plus what eve rit costs to program it

and i know if i ever need suspension work i am going used the junk yards aroubnd me only want like 50 to 100 a peace for each shock and struts so thats the way i would go most places i have seen online used want like 300 a peace with is BS but im just saying hypotheticlay if that thing lasts me threw the winter without getting the the block replaced then it hink i might just get it fixed but really cant be sure but i think im going to ride the winter out and hoep someone hits me in the winter on the ice or something
but easier to say part it out when you know what your doing and have the tools to part it out
also if your city isnt one that is rich snobby asses that would right you a tiket for having an eye sore in your drive way so i have no where to part it out no way to part it out and no noledge of doing stuff or equipment ot part it out with so thats not a option for me wich kind of sucks

Stingroo
09-15-10, 09:41 PM
You can part out a car with a socket set and a few beers (or other drink of your choosing). Trust me. :thumbsup:

hueterm
09-15-10, 09:43 PM
Well, good luck -- you might want to check w/an auto salvage yard and see what they'd give you for it -- they could part it out...

ben.gators
09-15-10, 09:48 PM
Pup, I've had 3 done fairly recently. At the GM dealer, both were about $1400 and if I remember correctly, it was about half and half as far as parts and labor.

One of the three was done at an independent shop, and he charged about $1000, but his labor rate was cheaper.

1000$ is an smoking deal, if they really going to put AC Delco Compressor, and replace condenser, orifice tube and the accumulator with GM original parts and flush all the remaining lines! Even I should say the amount of money you paid to the dealer for this job is pretty reasonable too.... About 6 months ago I went to a AAA shop because of a leak in my AC. After locating the leak they replaced my high pressure line and my final bill after recharging and sealing the AC system was 400$! So 1000$ for replacing all those parts and flushing the lines and recharging the system is wonderful. My advisor in AAA said me that they observe fluctuations in my high pressure line, and compressor is going to fail and the quote they gave me was something very near to 2000$! I have forgot the exact number... Anyway, I told them whenever my compressor fails I will come and I have passed Arizona hot summer and my compressor is working perfect so far (knock on wood!)!

RippyPartsDept
09-15-10, 09:49 PM
$700 for an instrument cluster? sounds a bit pricey? was that including labor?

hueterm
09-15-10, 09:51 PM
$700 for an instrument cluster? sounds a bit pricey? was that including labor?

Yes, that was everything. It took 7 modules to get one that worked right. I made them give me a 2 year warranty on it, I was so pissed....

hueterm
09-15-10, 09:54 PM
1000$ is an smoking deal, if they really going to put AC Delco Compressor, and replace condenser, orifice tube and the accumulator with GM original parts and flush all the remaining lines! Even I should say the amount of money you paid to the dealer for this job is pretty reasonable too.... About 6 months ago I went to a AAA shop because of a leak in my AC. After locating the leak they replaced my high pressure line and my final bill after recharging and sealing the AC system was 400$! So 1000$ for replacing all those parts and flushing the lines and recharging the system is wonderful. My advisor in AAA said me that they observe fluctuations in my high pressure line, and compressor is going to fail and the quote they gave me was something very near to 2000$! I have forgot the exact number... Anyway, I told them whenever my compressor fails I will come and I have passed Arizona hot summer and my compressor is working perfect so far (knock on wood!)!

They were supposed to be all GM parts, but it was done in Chicago before I ever picked up the car -- so they could have cut some corners. It's worked very well this year, though, and it's been hotter than hell. This was on one of my RM wagons.

The dealer jobs were all GM though (on my Concours and ETC).

Destroyer
09-15-10, 10:19 PM

Perhaps that person making the criticism lacks & is weak at the ability to decipher & selfishly gets a feeling of accomplishment correcting minor errors.No, that ain't it (ain't isn't a word is it?). Now, when you see someone write like that and you see that said person is 30, the term "pathetic" comes to mind. I inserted my foot in my mouth when I read that he was dyslexic. If a person is born and raised in this country and is an adult that can't spell or write, then yeah he/she is a moron. If on the other hand he/she was born with a defect, then nobody (including me) should knock them. For that I am sorry.

RippyPartsDept
09-15-10, 10:27 PM
ok, can we get past this please, and get back to the 100 and 1 ways to tell Pup to get rid of his car?
this bickering about grammar/spelling is getting tired
</tongue-in-cheek>

ted tcb
09-15-10, 10:28 PM
I've read the various threads posted by Pup, and I've been wondering if he hasn't been taken advantage of
with this car.
Someone close, even one of the mechanics, should've told this guy to shoot the car and buy something basic,
within his means.
Don't get me wrong, I like STS', owned 5 of 'em, but you need a bag of cash or tons of luck to drive an older STS.

Right now, its a simple case of throwing good money after bad, which never makes any sense.

ThumperPup
09-15-10, 11:02 PM
I just don't know WTF im going to do i know your all helping me here tryign to say shoot the car give it away do what ever but dont fix it but then alot of you dont know that i still have 7 month on payment sleft till i own it so i owe 1600 i know a bone yard wont give me more then problasby 700 for it and they will think they are doing me a favori when i know damm well they will be taking advantage of me like some mechanics may have over the past year wich really sucks but i only have myself to blame also for it

and i had to fight with some dealership just to get them to say they would pay the car off because they think im dumb and think its only worth 1000 but knowing damm well if i where to trade in if i did get a loan i woudl get them to give me 1600 just because they are ases and then they tell me ow we are not going to keep it we are going to give it to another place like a budget lot that will buy it well i have a feeling if i did that when i get home i look online and see it cleaned up and for sale for 5k on there website well im no dumb shit lol
so it comes down to the point where i owe 1620 on the car ruffly
if i part it out i might be lucky to be able to what make that back ?
maybe post it on CL see if i can get someone to buy it for 2500 i put it up there askign 4500 now knowing that someone will proably offer me 2500 and ill take it
and if they dont then hoping it gets wrecked in the winter or just driving it and maybe being able to make it another 7 months witnout it totaly going out on me
anyone got any ideas on how long i might be able to limp this thing alonng for ?

and well maybe with luck it will totaly start leaking like a damm or something ones it paid of then i can decide what ill do from there iethere part it out sell it for a 1000 str8 up on CL ones it paid of and put that with the 3k i was going to put into it
or put 3k into it and fix it and there are so many other options i can go with also
i was really hoping that after the HG in april and then the tranny last month that ic ould get another 3 or 4 years on this car 100k or so more and be happy

was just looking on GM partdirect a Ac compresor from there would be like 319 dollars wich i was liek wow cheap looks like the MSRP on it is 600
also looked on car parts found some used ones froma 2003 and 04 for sale at a fe wyard near me for 100 each
and also saw a Delphi or was it delco i forgot on Auto zones webiste for liek 499 i think
but to be truly honest i jsut dont know what im going to do

RippyPartsDept
09-15-10, 11:22 PM
maybe you need to see your guru
make a pilgrimage to your spiritual center
and meditate on it for a few days straight - no food, no sleep
the answer will come

by the way i still haven't talked to my head gasket repair mechanic about what might cause that kind of crack
i'll try and remember tomorrow and get back to you

ThumperPup
09-15-10, 11:53 PM
yeah rippy my temple isnt that kind of place but ill keep it in mind lol

RippyPartsDept
09-16-10, 12:03 AM
:) :cool2:

ThumperPup
09-16-10, 12:29 AM
:) :cool2:

matter afact i just left my temple it was the kitchen cabinet where i keep the Jack and Jim LOL thats jim not jin or gin but jim lol

RippyPartsDept
09-16-10, 12:40 AM
whatever works for ya bud

77CDV
09-16-10, 02:57 AM
Pup, seriously, it's time to let go. I love Caddys as much as the next guy here, but this one's not right and never will be. Quit while you're behind.