: Nitrous Systems

da324
08-03-03, 12:20 AM
I was told that I could put a Nitrous system on my 96 STS without harming any components. The stipulation was that it had to be a 50-75 hp gain, but no more to prevent damage. Does anyone know if this is correct info? Thanks, da324.

BUILDINGCTSAMG
08-03-03, 01:04 AM
Yeah i wouldnt do more then a 50 shot. You need to decide if you want wet or dry, id do a wet venom kit, its really the best and safest

chrisngrod
08-05-03, 02:47 AM
I believe Phil with the 97 Eldo runs a 120 shot. Direct port nitrous. He's a loon.

Katshot
08-05-03, 08:29 AM
Personally, I think doing nitrous on an engine that has a reputation for head gasket failures and head bolts stripping out is not too bright.
You would think that common sense would prevent anyone from using it but..........

chrisngrod
08-05-03, 12:47 PM
but he hasn't had a problem and has had this setup for a while or what?

2dfx
08-05-03, 12:48 PM
Personally, I think doing nitrous on an engine that has a reputation for head gasket failures and head bolts stripping out is not too bright.
You would think that common sense would prevent anyone from using it but..........
Thats why you put it on a 4.9.....

Night Wolf
08-06-03, 12:24 AM
Thats why you put it on a 4.9.....

I have wondered if the 4.9 would take a 75shot ok or not....

.....I don't like nitrus though, it is only quick bursts of power, and it isn't good for the engine....

...man I wish there were performance parts out for the 4.9.....

fristim
08-06-03, 06:17 AM
I have wondered if the 4.9 would take a 75shot ok or not....

.....I don't like nitrus though, it is only quick bursts of power, and it isn't good for the engine....

...man I wish there were performance parts out for the 4.9.....

Thats why you need a NORTH* !!!

2dfx
08-07-03, 10:17 AM
Thats why you need a NORTH* !!!
I'll take no performance mods over blown head gaskets, coolant leaks, oil leaks, and electrical gremlins anyday!

Beyond that, creativity comes in handy to make your OWN performance mods for the 4.9

elwesso
08-07-03, 03:44 PM
Yeah, you just gotta get crafty with it!!!! :D

Katshot
08-07-03, 04:30 PM
The 4.9 MAY NOT have any aftermarket performance parts available for it (I say MAY NOT because I've never looked), but the small amount that MAY be available for the Northstar do not (IMO) make it a better candidate for a performance car. I'll take a solid, reliable slightly less powerful base engine over an unreliable, over-priced one any day. Especially when I intend to stress that puppy beyond it's designed application.